No announcement yet.

Absolute Power (417)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The majority of the ascended folk are way too self-centered to mention something like that to Daniel.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Did they mention anything at all to Daniel?
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

I think most (not all of course) of the ascended are way too concerned with themselves.... just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
          Did they mention anything at all to Daniel?
          From his original visit? We don't know for sure, because his memory of that time is not accurate.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Hey,

I truly like this one, however I found it quite sad that the AG3 wasn't ever brought up again (especially since each satellite is quite small, probably small enough to fit through a stargate and a ring-transporter, thus they could have been easily deployed without rockets - park a cloaked cargo-ship in orbit and send the sattelites up one by one!) especially since every Systemlord's main world probably had something like that (I would have loved to see how it faires against the Ori-Ships, which I think it would take out unless they show up in overwhelming numbers (meaning that the main planets of Systemlords are kind of safe-havens, as long as they manage to shield the gate, so that no prior can pass it!))

I'd really like to know how this would faire against the Wraith (even the superhive!) and how it would deal with smaller ships (gliders, alkesh, darts)?

That's something I always hated: They build ships, but don't put up orbital defenses? Yes, purely defensive warfare sucks, but not having any static defenses is also bad, it's not like ships can't bolster the AG-System and fly attacks to help out of the enemy where to punch a hole in the AG-Grid and the AG3 is probably cheaper than building tons of ships (remember: Those satellites don't have hyperdrives which saves cost and they don't have quarters etc. either!...hell, they might not even have shields either (which I would fix if that's the case) and it frees up the ships to go places (they can be back in time to fight if the AG-System holds the enemy back...unless sent to Pegasus of course!))

I also thought Daniel was out of character! I think Shifu induced the dream and controled it, Daniel's subcosciousness wouldn't have made him act that way (no, knowledge IMHO is not tainted and foreign memories don't make you into a violent psychopath if you had a stable and non-violent personality before!)

greetings LAX
            ps: Support this system with Tobin-Like Mines and ships, not to mention a larger space-station or two (and shields over major cities and maybe even ground to space guns!) and you have a system that's very very very hard to breach!
            Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 01 February 2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
              I think Shifu induced the dream and controled it,
              I think you're right. I don't, however, think Daniel was incapable of being that ruthless.

Seaboe

Comment

Ruthless? Yeah, but not at first (he had to kind of "learn" how to be like that, through hardship and loss! We only truly see Daniel advocating to kille somebody ONCE: When Anubis's genetic experiment (the advanced human that Anubis was genetically manipulating in order for him to ascend and fight or even kill the Ancients!) was discovered Daniel didn't want to study that guy, he wanted to see him killed and it was him and Mitchel who fired the shots that killed him and Daniel wasn't sad afterwards!), not at that point in the series IMHO!

greetings LAX

Comment

In the context of the dream, his ruthlessness developed over time. It wasn't a sudden, all or nothing thing. The point was being made that even Daniel could be ruthless.

Seaboe

Comment

All together now: "With great power comes great responsibility!" & "Absolute power corrupts."

This is an episode that sends a powerful message still very valid to this very day -- politically speaking at least.

Michael Shanks is wickedly evil and plays the corrupt powerhunger maniac with verve. The rest is literally blown off screen.

It's a very interesting story. Shifu comes around to teach the puny humans a lesson and I think we can all agree that Daniel failed miserably -- at least as far as being responsible with the knowledge he gets in his dream goes. Good thing he seems to have learned from his mistake and takes a new path.

I give it an excellent but I really do hate powerhungry maniac Daniel and pretty much the entire time I want to wipe that obnoxious smirk of his face and put him in his place. Then again, we already saw this dark side of him when he became addicted to the sarcophagus.

How would you rate SG-1's "Absolute Power?"

Excellent
                    Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I also love this story, but I believe they could have explained much deeper how the Harsiesis is dangerous to the Goa'uld and why were they forbidden. Since almost every Systemlord had a Queen, then it is a bit hard to believe that only Apophis was the only one who has made his sacred duty to father one. Come on, they have lived for thousand years, so don't tell me that nobody tried to create this sort of advanced host.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Teal'c explained this when they first learned Apophis had fathered a child with Amaunet. He explains that it does happen and did happen before but that harcesis children were forbidden and were killed at birth, or at the very least at a young age if they managed to evade death at birth. They were not permitted to live.

3-episode quiz: Chain Reaction, 2010 & Absolute Power

Jigsaw puzzle: Absolute Power

Comment

6:25. That's a start, now go spoil it for me
                          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

*Dead eyes look*: Target. Eliminated.
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                              6:25. That's a start, now go spoil it for me
                              Jelgate might -- me, on the other hand, probably much longer.

Comment

You are so pessimistic about your ability FH
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X