Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Major

Default Re: Absolute Power (417)

Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    I think Shifu induced the dream and controled it,
    I think you're right. I don't, however, think Daniel was incapable of being that ruthless.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

First Lieutenant

Ruthless? Yeah, but not at first (he had to kind of "learn" how to be like that, through hardship and loss! We only truly see Daniel advocating to kille somebody ONCE: When Anubis's genetic experiment (the advanced human that Anubis was genetically manipulating in order for him to ascend and fight or even kill the Ancients!) was discovered Daniel didn't want to study that guy, he wanted to see him killed and it was him and Mitchel who fired the shots that killed him and Daniel wasn't sad afterwards!), not at that point in the series IMHO!

greetings LAX

Major

In the context of the dream, his ruthlessness developed over time. It wasn't a sudden, all or nothing thing. The point was being made that even Daniel could be ruthless.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

All together now: "With great power comes great responsibility!" & "Absolute power corrupts."

This is an episode that sends a powerful message still very valid to this very day -- politically speaking at least.

Michael Shanks is wickedly evil and plays the corrupt powerhunger maniac with verve. The rest is literally blown off screen.

It's a very interesting story. Shifu comes around to teach the puny humans a lesson and I think we can all agree that Daniel failed miserably -- at least as far as being responsible with the knowledge he gets in his dream goes. Good thing he seems to have learned from his mistake and takes a new path.

I give it an excellent but I really do hate powerhungry maniac Daniel and pretty much the entire time I want to wipe that obnoxious smirk of his face and put him in his place. Then again, we already saw this dark side of him when he became addicted to the sarcophagus.

How would you rate SG-1's "Absolute Power?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I also love this story, but I believe they could have explained much deeper how the Harsiesis is dangerous to the Goa'uld and why were they forbidden. Since almost every Systemlord had a Queen, then it is a bit hard to believe that only Apophis was the only one who has made his sacred duty to father one. Come on, they have lived for thousand years, so don't tell me that nobody tried to create this sort of advanced host.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Teal'c explained this when they first learned Apophis had fathered a child with Amaunet. He explains that it does happen and did happen before but that harcesis children were forbidden and were killed at birth, or at the very least at a young age if they managed to evade death at birth. They were not permitted to live.

3-episode quiz: Chain Reaction, 2010 & Absolute Power

Jigsaw puzzle: Absolute Power
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

6:25. That's a start, now go spoil it for me

*Dead eyes look*: Target. Eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    6:25. That's a start, now go spoil it for me
    Jelgate might -- me, on the other hand, probably much longer.

You are so pessimistic about your ability FH
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You are so pessimistic about your ability FH
    It's my nature.

This has always been an episode I have disliked. I understand the point the writers were trying to mistake but ultimately I reject the premise. I can't believe that Daniel would have such a drastic personally change because of Goa'uld knowledge. I give it a poor with 3 minutes 37 seconds and a perfect quiz score
    Jelgate is right

This has always been an episode I have disliked. I understand the point the writers were trying to mistake but ultimately I reject the premise. I can't believe that Daniel would have such a drastic personally change because of Goa'uld knowledge.
    The Goa'uld knowledge, or the memory of the Goa'uld, because it seemed to me Shifu gave him all his memories which included the tech-knowledge. So he basically gave him the powerhungry side too, the dark side as it were.

I don't buy that. Just giving memories of atrocities is not going to make a person commit the same crimes
    Jelgate is right

I don't buy that. Just giving memories of atrocities is not going to make a person commit the same crimes
    It was a thought.

Oh darn, I thought I had you beat, Jelgate, but I'm 21 seconds slower still: 03:58

4:40 9/15-- that was a hard quiz, so many minute details that I didn't notice.

I don't like an evil Daniel! MS played this fantastically-- he wasn't in your face evil, but sneaky. I loved the little boy that played Shifu as well!

Quote Originally Posted by BethHG View Post
    9/15-- that was a hard quiz, so many minute details that I didn't notice.
    Can't make em all easy, now can I?

1.The desert shot was reused and repainted from the 2x11-2x12 Tok’Ra episode.
    http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/4x17/01.jpg
    http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/4x17/02.jpg
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011