Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Absolute Power (417)

Quote Originally Posted by harsiesis child
    nothing... sg is also very enjoyable for this, but sometimes I have the impression that sg is watched only for this, which is a bit a pity... it cannot be reduced to action sometimes more philosopical (this one) or mystical episodes (fifth race, crystall skull...) are well too
    I agree. The more thought provoking episodes, IMHO, are one of the things that have distinguished SG1 from a run of the mill Sci Fi show. I like battles with Jaffa as much as the next person and the occasional space battle, but that isn't the only thing the show is about, IMHO.

Me too.

We need to have a bit of introspection now and again, looking at just where all this exploration is taking us, particularly in the search for exciting techy whizz-bangs to use in our fight against the Goa'uld.

Just so long as we don't end up disappearing up our own wormholes, of course...

This is my favortie episode ever. It the best bc Daniel goes over to the dark side and it opens as nice can of wrooms for fan fiction. To me it start the idea that maybe Daniel going to a higher plan is not a bad idea.
    May the force be with you

So true. Who, out of all of us, would have thought it possible that Daniel (Daniel!) could have become so corrupted by power - and to be so utterly matter of fact about it? Scary.

Of all the people in the SGC to behave like that - Daniel was the last. Or so we thought. He's not a cold, calculating nastyperson, is he?

Er - apparently he is. If the circumstances are right, at least.

That's where the impact comes from. It shocks us of course - but it also shocks him when he comes back from it and realises that, despite all his principles, even he isn't immune to the siren song of ultimate power. Neat.

Behind the *new* bar. What'll it be, stranger?

'There's just one flaw in your theory; you're assuming this is not what I wanted all along.' - When Jackson Goes Bad should've been the name of this frankly magnificent episode. I loved dark-side Daniel - what a character! He was the complete opposite of Dr Jackson, and it showed that Micheal Shanks is one of the best actors in Stargate.

Let's see what bad stuff dark danny got up to;
    - He locked up Sam.
    - He blew up Moscow.
    - He owned a Mansion (only evil people own mansions, remember!)
    - He has a secret underground lair like the bat cave underneath his mansion.
    - He created weapons to help him take over the world.
    - He defied the President.
    - He left Stargate Command, awww.
    - He was cooler than Jack in the end.

This ep was definately one of the best ever.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Thought people might find this interesting , Niella has released the Breadbox edition of this episode.

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...x/417bbe.shtml

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph View Post
    I love, love, love this episode.

Evil Daniel rules, and is so, so sexy. I have to agree that MS plays crazy/power-crazed roles extremely well. He never ceases to amaze me in such situations. I loved his evilness in Need, but he's even better, even more evil here. I couldn't believe that he actually blew up Moscow. And his 'It's like cutting your enemy's heart out.' line. ..snip
    Just the technology, and Daniel developing it and comandeering it, was extremely cool. I loved the way the weapons looked, and how powerfully and flawlessly they performed. Everything, especially the launch, was just so perfect (too perfect to be true, obviously).

I don't think they should have just let all the info go (although I guess they didn't have a choice?). I wish Daniel had been able to remember some of the tech -- even if it had just been that heavy naquadah water fuel source stuff. A wasted opportunity to gain new tech just kills me every time!
    I too loved this ep, and wished we could have had SOMETHING from that knowledge remain. Even if only daniel remembered what gou'ald symbology/naming stuff was, so he wouldn't have to always look it up. And as to shifu, and the ascention thing.. I feel it was more that OMA was always there, watching over him, just waiting for him to be done with daniel, so she could reascend shifu.

And as far as michael and his acting goes, this along with lifeboat, FoIaD, need and meridian showcased how great of an actor he is.

It's the same lesson the Tollan tried to impress upon SG1 on almost every possible opportunity, the very reason they were so reluctant to share technology. Seeing first hand what could/would happen with such advancements in technology, coupled with the inherantly evil nature of the goa'uld, serves as a much more potent lesson than simply being told "You'll just end up blowing yourselves up if we give you super-weapons!"
    That is actually an excelent point.. And one i would have loved to possibily see others get. It also ties into what Jacob said to sam in point of no return, while teal'c and jack were stranded in that glider.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That is actually an excelent point.. And one i would have loved to possibily see others get. It also ties into what Jacob said to sam in point of no return, while teal'c and jack were stranded in that glider.
    I so agree with that - there is always an inherent risk that, granted sudden, easy access to the technology or knowledge that will put us on an equal footing with our enemies, we will simply end up using it against ourselves. As Scarlet put it so neatly, quoted in the ^^ post, sometimes we really do need the object lesson rather than the lecture.

Major General

I saw a comic in the Pacific Daily News, which almost made me thing of just that..

It started off with a bunch of aliens showing up in orbit, and 'woowing' over our technological weaponry in some of teh satellites we had... then went to a few more satelites being launched... then ended with them looking at one another 'aghast' as an 'underling' told them the earth people had turned all their weapons on one another...

Yup. That sounds like a pretty accurate assessment of how we'd manage our superior technology!

Whether we like it or not, those who do have nice whizzbangy toys to play with are right not to share with us. They've been there, done that and bought the T-shirt so they know that we're not mature enough as a species to handle it yet.

Now Daniel does, too.

Chief Master Sergeant

Did anyone notice that Shi'fu was eating fruit loops? Just thought I'd throw that in....

Chevron Re: Absolute Power (417)

Just diving in here to say that this is one of my favourite eps. I love to see Daniel take on another persona from time to time…(Lifeboat, Need, etc.). MS is a very good actor and episodes like this/these give him a chance to showcase that talent. He has mentioned that he enjoys the chance to do something different with the Daniel character, on more than one occasion, in Convention Q & A panels. (Spending 10 years being a “Mister Goody Two-shoes” is probably a little boring for an actor I should think.)

As to the blowing things up and P90’s comments…For me one of the great things about Stargate is the balance between action, drama, thought-provoking concepts and comedy. Yes, there are some very funny moments and episodes throughout the series as well.

So, if the whole show has this multidimensional feel to it, it stands to reason that we should also see the same multidimensional-ness (Good grief! Did I say that? is there such a word??!!) of each character throughout the series. Daniel being no exception.

If there “holes” in this particular ep. (and a few have been mentioned) I submit that it has much to do with trying to cram the whole “Absolute power corrupting absolutely” thing into one episode. (Could have made a nice movie…IMHO)

Whatever.......Daniel Rocks! - Good, Evil, Moody, Broody, Ascended, Descended….

He can come to my house for tea anytime!

As to the fruit loops?….I believe Colonel O’Neill requests that they be a staple part of the SGC diet….along with blue jello!
    <a href=http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/Sechemech-Ib/lastgatesigsmall2.jpg target=_blank>http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...esigsmall2.jpg</a>

So... what did happen to tealc?

Major General

I believe the 'altered' daniel sent him off on a mission he knew would get teal'c captured/killed...

Indeedy - the last thing EvilDanny would have wanted was a blunt spoken, wise, honorable warrior in the vicinity. Particularly one with the unerring capacity to raise incredibly awkward points of order at just the moment when you're about to do something very morally ambiguous.

Evil Geniuses do not need such people on the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    Indeedy - the last thing EvilDanny would have wanted was a blunt spoken, wise, honorable warrior in the vicinity. Particularly one with the unerring capacity to raise incredibly awkward points of order at just the moment when you're about to do something very morally ambiguous.

Evil Geniuses do not need such people on the staff.
    Not to mention that Teal'c killed Sha're and I think Daniel, in a little tiny part of his soul, didn't forgive Teal'c completely....

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Absolute Power (417)

"Dreams teach", I like that I'm glad to see that Daniel is smart enough that a rapid increase in enemy knowledge isn't always a good thing. In order to remain separate from your enemy you must vanquish the things that allow them to rise to such great power, rather than use them yourself. The following is a quote about the production of Absolute Power that I found extremely interesting.

"That was a deleted scene from 'Absolute Power.' Jack makes a horrifying discovery: It turns out Daniel has been keeping Teal'c a prisoner, experimenting on him, transfusing himself with his naquadah-rich blood which, ultimately, allows him to use the hand device. It was a dark revelation that was cut at either the script stage or in editing." (Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at Our Stargate)
    Can you imagine that? I'm glad they decide to cut that out of the episode, it was already extremely dark it didn't have to get any worse.

Major General

I would have loved to see that on a deleted scenes part for the seasion..

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Absolute Power (417)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I would have loved to see that on a deleted scenes part for the seasion..
    I have mixed feelings about that.

Chief Master Sergeant HelloVelo's Avatar

You could tell Daniel had turned evil, because he wasn't wearing glasses. People with glasses are awesome and don't do bad things.

Rating: 5/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...ute-power.html
    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast