Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Absolute Power (417)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX
    I'm unclear as to the whole issue regarding Shi'fu's ascension/descension, but I am not unclear as to how much anger I felt toward Daniel in this episode. Why do the writers always make Daniel the episodes where he turns out to be a jerk? Either through alien technology or an alternate future. Possibly because they know MS can pull it off, as he does this time. Another wonderfully acted episode from him.

Moscow being destroyed was very cool.
    He did such a good job that I almost wish he was a Goa'uld

Is it just me, or does MS play madmen a little too well?

It seems like every time a nutter is required, they make it Daniel.
    It's like he is in SG-1 for archeology, language translation and gibbering!
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

I don't think he was a "madman." Usually when referring to this ep, most of us use the term Evil Daniel, even me. However, I now believe he was an entirely different person than Daniel.

His change in personality is first noticeable when he is leading a briefing. He barks off orders to everyone with no option for negotiation. His plans must be done in a year no matter what the cost. Personal requirements fulfilled since he is "cooperating" with the military. Did you see the looks on Hammond and Davis' face?

He interrupts Teal'c's Kelnoreem with no apologies other than a Goa'uld translation he must have now, with no regard to Teal'c's personal time.

Jack questions him about the project and he jumps all over him, telling him to help or leave. No discussion.

He throws Sam in jail because her opinions are in contrast to his as well as his plans for Earth.

Some other observations include the house he's living in. Daniel would never live in such a spacious and elegantly decorated mansion. Too ostenatious for him. Daniel would be embarrassed to drink a glass of two thousand dollar a bottle champagne, yet he offers it to Jack like Jack should be thrilled to partake in it. His clothes are dry cleaned and probably only worn once or twice.

Thoughts? Comments?

Lisa Michelle

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Absolute Power (417)

Wow! What a list of Evil Danny vs. Good ol' space monkey.

I must say I didn't like Shifu all that much (ducks shoe thrown by someone). I like Oma Desala a whole lot more (and I really didn't start liking her until we actually got to see her in human form in 'Meridian'). It was freaky seeing the things that Daniel was imagining doing to his teammates, especially when he imagined using the ribbon device jolt against Carter. Shows just how powerful the Goa'uld genetic memory is and why only Tok'ra are good.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Thanks, Daniel's twin. *blushes* I know I've seen this episode way too many times.

I didn't like Shifu too much either. He was annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by LMichelle
    Some other observations include the house he's living in. Daniel would never live in such a spacious and elegantly decorated mansion. Too ostenatious for him. Daniel would be embarrassed to drink a glass of two thousand dollar a bottle champagne, yet he offers it to Jack like Jack should be thrilled to partake in it. His clothes are dry cleaned and probably only worn once or twice.
    Power corrups and absolute power corrups absolutely!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket4477
    Power corrups and absolute power corrups absolutely!!
    I believe thats what Shifu's point was

I really like this episode, though I agree that Shifu was a little annoying (though his cryptic sentences gave us the whole ball of wax thing). I thought the episode was good in that it happened to Daniel, as he is seen as the 'purest' and most naive character and for him to be corrupted highlighted the evilness of the goa'uld. It also helped him get away from always going through the gate for something related to Sha're and implied that ascended beings aren't always fence sitters.

Nice Daniel episode I Thought that MS played 'Evil Daniel' very well- very realistic in parts I wasn't all to keen on the Shifu kid though

This is one of my favorite episodes! I guess I have a thing for evil Daniel. I made a signature with him in it:

Elevators are such a PITA!

Read my fanfic here:True Nature

Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478
    I believe thats what Shifu's point was
    Great minds think alike

This episode proves to show how Dangerous a Harsesis can be and it was good to show that it was a vision as it explained that if a person wanted that power they would more than likely use it for evil even under good intentions. Makes you wander if theyt will ever do a AU episode with an evil SG-1 in.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Absolute Power (417)

I sure hope not. That would be too much of a TOS of Star Trek for my tastes.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Metarock Sam
    This episode proves to show how Dangerous a Harsesis can be and it was good to show that it was a vision as it explained that if a person wanted that power they would more than likely use it for evil even under good intentions.
    Yes, imagine if the Harcesis had come Apophis' control, blowing up Moscow might be not so far from the truth!

I really liked this episode, I was actually taken in by the dream at first though I was still kinda waiting for some explanation to Daniel's behaviour. Evil Daniel was very well acted by MS, but he was incredibly annoying with all his orders and stuff. Jack was pretty funny as he seemed to be quietly thinking "wtf is going on?"

Shi'fu made a very good point and one that I don't think Daniel will forget any time soon.

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee
    Is it just me, or does MS play madmen a little too well?

It seems like every time a nutter is required, they make it Daniel.
    It's like he is in SG-1 for archeology, language translation and gibbering!
    Yea he does play a crazy person or person who is not quite all there really well. Like in Legacy or Need.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartFox
    Yea he does play a crazy person or person who is not quite all there really well. Like in Legacy or Need.
    And in Lifeboat.

I really liked this episode - Shifu was played really well. Did he remind anyone else of Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle?

I love, love, love this episode.

Evil Daniel rules, and is so, so sexy. I have to agree that MS plays crazy/power-crazed roles extremely well. He never ceases to amaze me in such situations. I loved his evilness in Need, but he's even better, even more evil here. I couldn't believe that he actually blew up Moscow. And his 'It's like cutting your enemy's heart out.' line. I know, just an imagined Daniel, but still! And what's scary is, if he really had been capable of developing such a weapons system, I'm sure the gov't would have given him the means and power to do so, without question.

The ep was well done in the sense that it wasn't immediately obvious that it was a dream sequence -- not until they tell us 'one year later'. I kept wondering what actually happened to Teal'c during that time, as they all kept referring to an incident with him.

Just the technology, and Daniel developing it and comandeering it, was extremely cool. I loved the way the weapons looked, and how powerfully and flawlessly they performed. Everything, especially the launch, was just so perfect (too perfect to be true, obviously).

I was a bit surprised that the Russians immediately responded by threatening to blow up the new satellite weapons. That seemed a bit extreme to me.

Ultimately I don't really agree with the way the episode ended. I don't think they should have just let all the info go (although I guess they didn't have a choice?). I wish Daniel had been able to remember some of the tech -- even if it had just been that heavy naquadah water fuel source stuff. A wasted opportunity to gain new tech just kills me every time!

I have a little casting gripe regarding the kid who played Shifu. Now he's supposed to be the offspring of the hosts of Apophis and Shar'e, right? Call me crazy, but I think he should have had more African features. Curly hair, and dark brown eyes are what I expected. There's no way he would have come out looking like that. Apophis' host is a straight up black Egyptian, and Shar'e's people were taken from ancient Egypt, right? Peter Williams is a black man, right? I have the same issue with the kid who plays Teal'c's son Ry'ac, except he did look like a mixed child, yet Teal'c and his wife are straight up black, not even light skinned. A minor quibble, but disappointing for me when they literally whitewash the characters by casting racially ambiguous people when it should be obvious. It's bad enough that this strong black man and excellent role model for young black viewers is given minimal dialogue. I'm always so proud when my little 3 year old nephew proclaims that "I'm Teal'c!" and says "Indeed" in his deepest little voice. This might be hard for many of you to understand, and for that, I'm sorry if I'm not articulating this well.

I liked this episode. I did not realize it was a vision until it was made clear. But I was wondering why they didn't suspect something had happened to change Daniel, (aside from just a drive to defeat the Goa'uld). MS did play the part well, as you started to really hate him, during the vision.

After he had the first vision of Teal'c, I thought he was going to call him a sholva.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump237
    I have a little casting gripe regarding the kid who played Shifu. Now he's supposed to be the offspring of the hosts of Apophis and Shar'e, right? Call me crazy, but I think he should have had more African features. Curly hair, and dark brown eyes are what I expected. There's no way he would have come out looking like that. Apophis' host is a straight up black Egyptian, and Shar'e's people were taken from ancient Egypt, right? Peter Williams is a black man, right? I have the same issue with the kid who plays Teal'c's son Ry'ac, except he did look like a mixed child, yet Teal'c and his wife are straight up black, not even light skinned. A minor quibble, but disappointing for me when they literally whitewash the characters by casting racially ambiguous people when it should be obvious. It's bad enough that this strong black man and excellent role model for young black viewers is given minimal dialogue. I'm always so proud when my little 3 year old nephew proclaims that "I'm Teal'c!" and says "Indeed" in his deepest little voice. This might be hard for many of you to understand, and for that, I'm sorry if I'm not articulating this well.
    Nah. I get what you're saying. Shifu bugs me, but Ry'ac doesn't. And of the many reasons for having Teal'c speak more, the one you raise is ... not the least important. I hear he'll be talking more in season 9.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast