This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists Move Solid Objects Without Touching Them

SCIENTISTS at Edinburgh University have developed a way of moving an object without touching it, in breakthrough research which could be as revolutionary as the discovery of electricity.

The team of researchers has been able to move objects across flat surfaces and even up a slope with nothing more than a light beam.

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1903892005
    Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Cool, you don't know hole long i have sat on the couch trying to move the Candle acrost the table with my mind
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
    sigpic

Comment

So when they place water droplets on the surface and then stimulate it with ultra-violet light, the changes alter the surface tension of the liquid and this creates enough energy to move the droplet a distance of up to a millimetre.
      Excuse my dumbassness, but how is this different than exposing the water to a flame and having it inch away? It's basically the same thing isn't it? They're exposing the water to an energy source and watching it react.

Comment

Cool. Now Montgomery High School can use transport chambers instead taking a 20 minute jog to get to our lockers.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by csand36
          Cool. Now Montgomery High School can use transport chambers instead taking a 20 minute jog to get to our lockers.
          theres nothing there that suggest's transportation, there just moving stff with a light
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

High powered lasers has been used to make metal cones lift off several meters rapidly for a few years now. They're going to build a cone that can go 120 meters up =)

This from the air under the cone heating up and propelling the cone.

Comment

So? I can make hundreds of girls move away from me without touching them, is that a scientific breakthrough?
              You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
              And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
                So? I can make hundreds of girls move away from me without touching them, is that a scientific breakthrough?
                Why would ya wanna do that

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
                  Why would ya wanna do that
                  We could probably use this discovery to power FTL spaceships!
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                    We could probably use this discovery to power FTL spaceships!
                    whats FTL??
                    im still learning internet slang...lol

Comment

FTL=Faster Than Light
                      It took me the entire first season of Battlestar to figure it out .
                      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                      LANDRY
                      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                        FTL=Faster Than Light
                        It took me the entire first season of Battlestar to figure it out .
                        At least you figured it out.... i had to ask to find out
                        thanx for explaining it too

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
                          theres nothing there that suggest's transportation, there just moving stff with a light
                          I know, i just needed to have my little moment.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                            X