No announcement yet.

2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel, "Assuming the Aschen can keep something this big a secret, it's been ten years."

Proof that ten years had passed since the Aschen had started all this.

Comment

It had been 3 years since Carter started trying to get pregnant and 10 years since Sg-1 met the Aschen, but only 2 since the birth rate dropped significantly...

CARTER
      Oh, that can't be right. If I'm reading this properly, the worldwide birth rate has dropped almost ninety-one percent in the last two years.

CARTER
      So was I. According to the Aschen doctors, I was fine. But not according to Doctor Fraiser. We got into the Aschen computer network; they keep statistics on everything. In the past couple of years, without our even knowing it, they have managed to sterilize over ninety percent of the world's population. The other ten percent are probably just a matter of time. We don't know how they've done it, or even how they've even managed to keep it a secret this long…

In your quote, humanmusic, you left out the "Why now?" which shows that Daniel was asking why the Aschen would do this sort of thing now and not at an earlier point in the 10 year association Earth has had with the Aschen...

DANIEL
      Assuming the Aschen could keep something that big secret…it's been ten years. Why now?

Comment

What was not exactly clear why would they risk such a plan with Earth, if they can simply wipe them out? If they have shared the gate addresses anyway as Teal'c has come from Chulak, then the Aschen could have started to use their vaccines on some smaller or unvaluable planets behind the back of SGC. Maybe they wanted our big, juicy planet for themselves.

But anyway the episode is cool and the whole "airport" scene is still shocking and it has made me shivering again.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          What was not exactly clear why would they risk such a plan with Earth, if they can simply wipe them out? If they have shared the gate addresses anyway as Teal'c has come from Chulak, then the Aschen could have started to use their vaccines on some smaller or unvaluable planets behind the back of SGC. Maybe they wanted our big, juicy planet for themselves.

But anyway the episode is cool and the whole "airport" scene is still shocking and it has made me shivering again.
          If your goal is not actually to share power with anyone, would you want a technologically advanced world that billions of humans live on in your fake coalition of equals? Reducing the Earth's birth rate was not much of a risk for them because they were technologically superior and, as we saw in the episode, there was nothing Earth could to stop them other than reset the timeline. What was a risk was letting Earth continue to advance and possibly outgrow the protective status the Aschen bestowed on them.
          Last edited by Xaeden; 11 March 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I mean they could eridicate the whole Earth if they really wanted. But I am guessing they wanted to learn about culture, technology, discoveries etc.

By the way... reset the timeline is never a real solution as the other ruined alternate reality still exists. And this is a returning plot in Stargate lore that an other reality will sacrifice itself for an unsure other reality. And if you think about it from their point of view, why would they do it? So okay, we have never met the Ashens now, but this alternate future has still happened. The "terrorists" were neutralized at the gate and the Aschen rules forever.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

There are alternate realities nearly identical to the one they were in, but Stargate has never said it ascribes to the idea that time travel creates a new reality. Everyone in every time travel episode (save "1969" because they later retconned that form of time travel) is under the impression that it erases their current timeline.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 11 March 2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Stargate : Endgame

Comment

I think that it was not mentioned there, but somebody complained about the absence of Bra'tac in this episode, but we should remember that he said in Threshold that his last symbiont should mature during 2 years and the new one would refuse him. And it was shown that Aschen did not have means to get rid Jaffa of their dependence on symbionts, so without any alternative Bra'tac had to die after his symbiont matured, long time before 2010.

I was actually bothered more the absence of Jacob in this episode.

And yes, this Teal'c's friend was not useful too much in reversing the timeline, but on the other hand he was willing to put his life on the line for our world (Teal'c would not take him to the Earth without the alert that it can end his death) which gains some points for him from me.
                  Last edited by Manche; 15 June 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

The Jaffa not having tretonin and the Aschen using biological weapons to defeat their enemies would not have played out well for the Jaffa nations and Teal'c says that few Jaffa remain loyal to Earth in the 2010 episode timeline. It makes me wish that we knew more about/got to see more of the Jaffa who accompanied Teal'c in attacking the Stargate Terminal. That Jaffa must already have had doubts/strong opinions about the Aschen if he was willing to attack one of their planets only 1 day after the Aschen deception was found out. On the other hand it highlights for me why the Jaffa Nation storylines never really interested me-they were completely dependent on symbiotes or tretonin to be able to live i just struggle to get behind a species that depends solely on those two aspects to be able to continue living. Keeping that in mind the best Jaffa characters were those who first joined the Resistance (because the odds were very much against them and yet they kept on fighting) and groups like the Hak'tyl (which explored what happens when a species has few options in how to preserve their population and how they adapt to accomplish this).

Overall I like the Aschen storylines, wish we could have seen more of Samantha and Joseph Faxon and maybe see their relationship begin and develop more before he dies/sacrifices himself in the episode 2001. We know where their relationship could have gone to (ie marriage and wanting a family together) and the emotional impact and loss for Samantha could have been great character development for her instead we saw her with Pete who i did not like at all.

Another part of episode 2010 that I enjoyed was the fact that humanity learned about aliens and life on other planets and life went on. For the most part much of the population grew for the better and people embraced change and the chance to go and explore other planets and societies. Yes in this episode it means humanity bought the lies of the Aschen but maybe in future Stargate shows this episode proves that the writers can show humanity knowing about the Stargate and alien life out in the universe. Doing so could expand the storylines/canon and still make the show feel modern and relatable to the audiences.

Comment

Originally posted by EvaWallE7744 View Post
                      ...Pete who i did not like at all.
                      I doubt many people liked him.

Another part of episode 2010 that I enjoyed was the fact that humanity learned about aliens and life on other planets and life went on. For the most part much of the population grew for the better and people embraced change and the chance to go and explore other planets and societies. Yes in this episode it means humanity bought the lies of the Aschen but maybe in future Stargate shows this episode proves that the writers can show humanity knowing about the Stargate and alien life out in the universe. Doing so could expand the storylines/canon and still make the show feel modern and relatable to the audiences.
                      Unfortunately the real world shows us a very different picture... we can't even seem to live together as humans. How do you expect we would fair with an alien species coming down from up there. It'd be all out war.

Hell, you could say that even a pandemic can't get us to unite and work together towards defeating a virus. Mistrust among nations is so far from Stargate's reality that 2010 truly is an alternate timeline.

*** Edit ***

Oh and also... Welcome to Gateworld!
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thank you, I have been a big fan of Stargate for many years -it is the show that got me into sci-fi.

so true that mistrust in nations is definitely a part of our real world one part of me wishes it could be different but another part is a realist and knows that just part of human nature. and i agree if an alien species came down to Earth today i doubt they would be met with open arms by the people of Earth.

Comment

so true that mistrust in nations is definitely a part of our real world one part of me wishes it could be different but another part is a realist and knows that just part of human nature. and i agree if an alien species came down to Earth today i doubt they would be met with open arms by the people of Earth.
                          I think there should be a warning on the moon about what aliens could get themselves into once they've crossed that point.

Comment

Sadly, this episode has brought out the crazies in our fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
                              Sadly, this episode has brought out the crazies in our fan base.
                              Please explain. What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Please explain. What do you mean?
                                There are Stargate fans who believe that the Aschen and their ulterior motive (facilitated by the use of a vaccine to covertly inflict sterility on a population) are reflective of contemporary real-life events.

Comment

Working...
                                X