2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Brad pointed out in something I heard or read that this is a time travel episode where the only thing that travels through time is the note.

Seaboe
    Who is Brad?

What I found daft was that they left the future of the human race in a hand written note on a piece of paper. the daftness of the plan was already referred to by Frasier earlier in the episode.

Jackson's statement that throwing a rock throughout he Stargate wouldn't work doesn't make sense to me.

Why wouldn't a rock make it? Why not put the details of a video recording on a computer hard drive or memory stick (or whatever device existed back in 2001)? They were using a genuine GDO. Wouldn't that send an SG code that would have Hammond open the Iris anyway?

Or am I missing some piece of Stargate science for why only the paper could get through?

Comment

Brad is one of the show's creators (I can't remember his last name at the moment).

Oh, I agree the plan was daft, and the rock would've gotten through just fine (according to the other time travel stories). I'm not sure what a rock would've told the 2001 people, though. Not as much as the note (let alone, more). I think the note only worked because they'd run into time travel and alternate universes before, so they would be willing to act on a cryptic note.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Brad is one of the show's creators (I can't remember his last name at the moment).

Oh, I agree the plan was daft, and the rock would've gotten through just fine (according to the other time travel stories). I'm not sure what a rock would've told the 2001 people, though. Not as much as the note (let alone, more). I think the note only worked because they'd run into time travel and alternate universes before, so they would be willing to act on a cryptic note.

Seaboe
        Brad Wright

Also, I'd wager a guess that the paper is just convenient as a plot device because of the blood. Not to mention you *could* also assume that usb sticks and whatever would normally be used as a storage device were rendered obsolete and no longer available in 2010. Everything changed so dramatically with the help of the Aschen. I know it's a stretch, considering Fraiser was using what looked like a normal computer, but it's still fun to try to come up with an explanation.

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
        Who is Brad?

What I found daft was that they left the future of the human race in a hand written note on a piece of paper. the daftness of the plan was already referred to by Frasier earlier in the episode.

Jackson's statement that throwing a rock throughout he Stargate wouldn't work doesn't make sense to me.

Why wouldn't a rock make it? Why not put the details of a video recording on a computer hard drive or memory stick (or whatever device existed back in 2001)? They were using a genuine GDO. Wouldn't that send an SG code that would have Hammond open the Iris anyway?

Or am I missing some piece of Stargate science for why only the paper could get through?
        As for "putting the details on a video recording," they were trying to keep the warning as vague as humanly possible. Ignoring that the tiniest iota of change in history (mere molecules being marginally displaced) would set off a monumentally massive chain reaction of events that would change history entirely, SG-1 in 2010 were trying not to change things too much by simply warning them away from the Aschen without giving more information that could alter the course of history in other ways (even if it ends up being a separate universe from theirs, since they would still be ultimately responsible).
        Last edited by Janet Fraiser; 29 July 2015, 08:15 AM.
        rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I can only check in occasionally.

Okay, but I don't understand what the rest means. You wrote - "Brad pointed out in something I heard or read that this is a time travel episode where the only thing that travels through time is the note."

I know the only thing that goes through time is the note. That is the point I was making.

Seaboe
          The rock reference was that for all the good the note was going to do, Jack said they as well just throw a rock into the Stargate. And he was right. Sure, Hammond locked the co-ordinates but all it did was leave them blind to the danger that was still out there.

If the purpose of leaving out the details was to allow the sequel episode, then there were certainly better ways to do it. Future SG-1 tries to send a transmission or video recording through the Stargate but it gets damaged and SGC are only left with the barest details, but at least SG-1 wouldn't come across as slightly daft.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
            Brad Wright

Also, I'd wager a guess that the paper is just convenient as a plot device because of the blood. Not to mention you *could* also assume that usb sticks and whatever would normally be used as a storage device were rendered obsolete and no longer available in 2010. Everything changed so dramatically with the help of the Aschen. I know it's a stretch, considering Fraiser was using what looked like a normal computer, but it's still fun to try to come up with an explanation.
            It is indeed fun to discuss all these things but it was still daft.

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
            As for "putting the details on a video recording," they were trying to keep the warning as vague as humanly possible. Ignoring that the tiniest iota of change in history (mere molecules being marginally displaced) would set off a monumentally massive chain reaction of events that would change history entirely, SG-1 in 2010 were trying not to change things too much by simply warning them away from the Aschen without giving more information that could alter the course of history in other ways (even if it ends up being a separate universe from theirs, since they would still be ultimately responsible).
            Except that the entire point of sending the message was to do exactly that - "set off a monumentally massive chain reaction of events that would change history entirely".

A video recording or some kind of computer file that warned SGC about the Aschen, the sterility plot and their home world co-ordinates would no more temporal damage than the paper note and at least have the SGC be something that a reasonable person could imagine would work - suppose a commander took over the base and unlocked the co-ordinates for some reason.

The same ending and the sequel could come about - for example the video or file is corrupted and the SGC can only salvage the co-ordinates. This allows the follow up 2001 and gives the future SG-1 a plan that makes sense.

Comment

I'm very late here but I liked the presentation of a society which is as evil as the Goa'uld and the Ori together but using a very humane disguise.
              Born comedians the Aschen - no doubt about it.
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

It's 2016 and I've yet to find a tour guide who says, "And we're walking!"
                sigpic
                [call me loser.]

Comment

Originally posted by losernerdfriend View Post
                  It's 2016 and I've yet to find a tour guide who says, "And we're walking!"
                  No, but I catch myself quietly saying it sometimes as I take a tour or see an exhibit. My private joke.

Comment

If you are overheard and smiled at you can be sure there is another fan!
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

I've seen 'we're walking' before on the movie 'Dave'! The woman doing a tour of the White House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdNSA_CWvc

Comment

My brothers and I usually go around saying it, but my day will def be made if some tour guide says it. Haha.
                        sigpic
                        [call me loser.]

Comment

This is my all time favourite episode of SG1, very dark to say the least and the race to get the note through time along with that foreboding music was absolutely epic.

Comment

I feel like a child nowadays watching my daily SG-1 episodes in the morning before work. Gotta love Space channel for that!

Just re-watched 2010, was browsing through the forum and I believe I can answer this question (2 years later lol but hey better late than never )

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                            Who is Brad?

Basically what Daniel meant is that it wouldn't work because the rock would be shot down by the auto-lasers batteries when thrown at the gate. That is why they needed to physically drop the letter in the horizon.

On a side-note I really like how these weapons inflict *clean wounds*, looks like they are being hit by tiny needles that simply passes through their body, quite cool.
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

It's an interesting episode with an interesting theme: the race which came to our salvation also happens to be the one to guide us to our extinction and ultimate downfall.

If there's one thing that can be said about the Aschen, it's that they are a damn patient race. It takes planning and lots of patience to wipe out an entire planet, and claim it as your own for your own purpose. Simply pretend to be the savior and before anyone knows, they're in control of everything.

They clearly didn't woe everyone since Jack had his misgivings, and so did General Hammond -- which as Janet suspects cost him his life. As a sidenote: the irony of the Hammond's heart attack -- Don S. Davis died of a heart attack. (was fortunate enough to have met him and he was an awesome person, and so was his wife)

It's when they realize they made a mistake, SG-1 wants to set the record straight, and you just want Jack to smack Joe over the head when we find out he knew about the sterilization taking place. Damn idiot!

But the one thing that makes this episode an absolute Excellent for me is the plenty shipper goodness that is Daniel and Janet. Oh my goddess, 2010 is Daniel/Janet shipper heaven. The looks, the touches, the kiss (on the cheek), ... ... LOVE IT!!

How would you rate SG-1's "2010?"

Excellent -- for the sole reason it makes my Daniel/Janet shipper heart beat faster
                              Good
                              Fair
                              Poor
                              Terrible

3-episode quiz: Chain Reaction, 2010 & Absolute Power

Jigsaw puzzle: 2010
                              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 June 2018, 01:57 PM.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This is one of those episodes where I disagree with fandom. Its meh. The episode is entertaining enough but their are too many coincidences and what I find leaps in time travel to call it a good episode. I do like the bitter Jack As for FH shippers fantasy, I think my standard disclaimer about shippers apply. 7 minutes and 19 seconds
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X