2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Fischer
    Is it possible that at some point in the future Sam goes to Jack (maybe at the same time she goes to Cassie), and says, "okay, timeline clean up! Sir, you have to bleed on this piece of paper and toss it into the gate. and Cassie, you have to save us at some time when you are about 50 years old..."
    LoL. Cassie was way older than fifty in "1969"

Originally posted by UncleDick
    I don't think they are. In "There But For The Grace Of God", Alt. Carter flat out said that the Stargate cannot connect alternate realities. It can, however, allow time travel within the same reality as was the case in "1969".
    1) Carter is not the definitve voice on what a stargate can an cannot do.
    2) Technically I'm not suggesting a Stargate can send you to a parell dimension. It sends you through time. The Universe itself, as a preventive measure against excatly the kind of paradox your describing, then splits itself into two universes.
    Jack O'Neill and company have 6 years left to find it and send another note back or else time will revert to the moment when the note passed through the Stargate and SG-1 will meet the Aschen on schedule.
    Silly assumption there. If SG-1 didn't resolve the paradox, the universe wouldn't wait 6 years before reverting it'd do it straight away. Of course then it'd revert back and so on and so et infinitum. Which is my theory is better as the SG-1 universe is not stuck constantly reveerting the paradox must have been resolved.
    "1969" resolved in a much more coherent fashion.
    I agree. The one time travel ep was enough. Endless time travel ******y is what is bringing down trek. (well part of it anyway).
    Last edited by Crazedwraith; 19 September 2004, 01:07 PM.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
      Lol cassie was way older than fifty in "1969"
      True, it's hard to estimate age when you don't know the medical advances in the time inbetween.

Comment

Maybe I missed it but I have to say I am surprised that the book (or movie) 2010 has not been mentioned in this thread. The jupiter/Star looks like a direct reference. Kind of a sci-fi in joke if I were to guess.

Comment

Thought I would just mention a possible plot hole;
          When Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Fraiser are discussing how they can fix the problem (ie of the aschen decreasing birth etc), they bring forth the question who can help them. They say the Asgard etc and also the Tollan. But, as we know in
          [Spoiler]

"Between Two Fires," The Tollan may have been totally wiped out. So, why would they mention them if they are no more?
          Last edited by Only_1_Kenobi; 21 October 2004, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Another of my favourites, nice to see they follwed it up in season 5 with 2001, and i hope we havent seen the last of these bad guys.
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
              I like the scene of Jack at his cabin...finally retired and fishing! Of course, can that man ever *stay* retired? Apparently not.

It would be pretty terrific to have a terminal somewhere that one could travel to other worlds just by stepping through the gate.
              Nmom
              If the stargate did go public somtime in the future, i would imagine it would be extreamly busy given that earth can only have one gate ( remember the eps "watergate" when they couldn't gate to that planet full of refugees because the other gate was being held open by that water) that would meen they would be using the gate repeatedly all day long,
              hope the ancients built them to last- still they could just build another if it broke just like the tollan ( but earths would always be bigger of course).
              so i should'nt imagine it would work effetiently, but still its a damn good episode.
              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I got a copy of The Essential Scripts for xmas--I haven't seen this episode, but just the script was good. I gotta see this one!

Comment

I can't have been the only person who picked up on the Arthur C. Clarke homages in the Aschen story.

Titling it "2010" and talking about turning Jupiter into a star? Titling its follow-up episode "2001"?
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

No you are not
                    FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Season 4 Best Carter Episodes

For Season 4's episode 2010

Sam and Joe meet for lunch. Sam tells him that she's not pregnant -again.

Sam and Janet after the award ceremony. Janet encourages Sam to come to Janet's office in Washington so that Janet can check into why Sam and Joe are having difficulty having a child.

Janet has to tell Sam that Sam can't have children - ever.

Sam and Janet check the Aschen database for information on why the Aschen lied and told Sam that she was OK and that she and Joe just had to 'keep trying'.

Sam visits Jack to enlist his assistance. He basically says 'I told you so, and now you're going to have to live with the consequences.' And... they did a great job of making O'Neill look scruffy!

Daniel and Sam join an SGC tour group - gotta love those glasses, and Daniel's hat! I loved the little kid, who correctly identified the level they were on as the one where the Gateroom was... but the tour guide says 'No... it was more correctly called the "Embarkation Room"' (complete with finger quotes) - the kid's expression is great - and so are the expressions on AT and MS's faces!

GUIDE: All righty everyone, everyone please step all the way out, we've arrived at level 28. Can anyone guess at what special room is on this floor?
                      KID: The Gate room?
                      GUIDE: That's very, very close... Anyone else?
                      DANIEL: He's right. It's the Gate room
                      GUIDE: What I'm sure many of you don't know is that officially it was known as the (making quotes) "embarkation " room because, that's where the SG teams (making quotes) "embarked" from. Okay, now we're walking... This way.

And then it gets better, when the group is lead to a large display photo of SG-1... and the tour guide says that SG-1 wasn't *her* favorite SG team! Again, AT and MS had great expressions! "And we're walking..."

The Guide stops at a photo of SG-1.
                      GUIDE: And these people comprise the famous SG-1, arguably the most important -- although not my personal favourite team of the entire command.
                      Daniel and Carter exchange a look...
                      GUIDE: And we're walking...

Sam talks with Joe - and finds out that he knew about some of what the Aschen were doing. Joe realizes that he was duped.

Predicting solar flares. Smart techo-Sam.
                      Daniel has a great line: Um... the sun is beeping...

Teal'c dials the 'gate and Jack and Daniel try to get the note through.

Sam runs through the Aschen electrical bolts, despite Joe's shouts for her to stop.

Sam gets the note through as she dies and joins the rest of SG-1.
                      And after reading that quote, what I loved was that RDA allowed the scene to be done following AT's suggestions.
                      RDA already had already gotten to say "I told you so, and *I* like things the way they are - even if you can't have kids and humankind is going to die out! Go get your husband to help you!" (he basically told her to stick it). I'm glad that RDA allowed AT to end the scene showing Sam with some backbone - she and the others had made a mistake... a big one... but Sam is usually willing to admit that she doesn't know everything and she can admit her mistakes. Hey - here was another case where they showed Sam 'making a mistake' because she trusted someone... sound like any Season 8 episode? Hmmm...
                      Photos are screen caps from the episode '2010'
                      Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

I love the episode. very different from the other usual episodes.
                        I was happy to see Jack relaxing and have a good life.

Comment

Great episode!

I'm not a fan of time-travel myself, in general, although at least this time it had a real purpose (as opposed to in 1969).

The Aschen are a great enemy. I love that type of secret evil. It's much more sophisticated and respectable. I do wonder what would have happened if in the note that SG1 send back, they had said 'just don't become fully allied with the Aschen or trust their medical tech' or something along those lines, what would have happened. Could there have been a less dangerous path in which the SGC gains information from the Aschen without them taking ove? Or could they have double crossed the Aschen some how? I just bemoan the loss of technology that arises from the SGC avoiding the Aschen entirely.

I too got a bit sad that Sam and Jack don't end up together - especially since Jack retired. I wasn't surprised though that Jack was the one of the few who realized right away that the Aschen were evil. Jack is nearly always the first to tell when someone is hiding something, which I like because it shows how clever Jack is. He sometimes seems dumber than he is, especially when he's confused by Sam's techno-babble, but he really is very intelligent in other ways. He's an excellent judge of character and highly observant. Oh, and yes, he looks very yummy when he is scruffy and retired!

I must also agree that Daniel got hotter, amazingly. He should wear a suit always, cause he looks so damn good!

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                            The Aschen are a great enemy. I love that type of secret evil. It's much more sophisticated and respectable.
                            It is, isn't it? There's something deliciously chilling about the Aschen and their utterly clinical approach to conquest. Talk about a long-term investment. Okay, the war with the Goa'uld, and the installation of infrastructure and amenities across the globe may have cost them some, but (as we find out in '2001') it's a small price to pay for what they really want. They're the galactic conqueror equivalent of the Komodo Dragon - why waste energy stalking and chasing down your prey when you can simply bite a passing deer and wait for the nasty little bacteria in your saliva to poison its blood while you slump comfortably in a nice little patch of jungle sunlight?

The sheer emotionless-ness of it all is particularly creepy. Not only do they sabotage the reproduction of the native population on the quiet - and in the guise of a wonder-miracle-drug-type thingy to boot - but they also live alongside their duped 'allies' without so much as a twinge of conscience or sympathy.

They know full well that there's no world anywhere that's going to tell 'em to push off and leave them get on with their happy war-famine-pestilence-and-death routine. They also know that there's not a single person out there who's going to look at the Faustian pact with the devil (sorry, treaty of alliance *ahem*) and not say 'where do I sign?'.

To have an enemy that disguises itself as a friend is not that new, but this is a very tidy (and mildly unnerving) twist on the concept. Normally the betrayal involves a sudden about turn, or the appearance of a hitherto mutual enemy. But this one is so incredibly subtle and slow-moving that it normally wouldn't ever come to light in time to give even the faintest hope of saving a world from population crash and conquest. Indeed, the population is basically doomed from the moment they accept the Aschen pharmaceuticals.

Okay the time-paradox stuff is a bit difficult to reconcile or resolve, but most of it goes right over my head - so I'm happy to suspend belief and let the story carry me along. This one does that very nicely.
                            sigpic

Comment

I just noticed something strange about this episode. When they are discusisng what to put on the note that is sent back Jack says something like, "Can we put who won the Super Bowl in 2004? ... The World Series?..."

What is strange about this?
                              In 2004 the New England Patriots won their 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years making their dynasty one of the most impressive ever. In 2004 the Boston Red Sox won the World Series winning 8 straight playoff games after losing 3 in a row to hte Yankees and ending the "curse." Also notable, both teams are from massachusetts.

It was an unordinary year in baseball and football.

Now I ask you all, what do TBTP know and where are they getting this knowledge?
                              (I don't believe they have some sort of supernatural powers, I just found this coincidence odd)
                              Last edited by cobraR478; 23 May 2005, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Something occured to me while watching this episode again. In it, Janet is the only one who survives in that timeline (presumably since she was on Chulak). In our timeline, she's the first to die. An interesting turn of events; it would be interesting to see her reaction if she somehow knew that (not that I think she'd act differently). Just an interesting observation....
                                And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                                Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                                Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                                Daniel: Oh! You see?
                                Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Working...
                                X