Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Thread: 2010 (416)

Default Re: 2010 (416)

Daniel, "Assuming the Aschen can keep something this big a secret, it's been ten years."

Proof that ten years had passed since the Aschen had started all this.

It had been 3 years since Carter started trying to get pregnant and 10 years since Sg-1 met the Aschen, but only 2 since the birth rate dropped significantly...

CARTER
    Oh, that can't be right. If I'm reading this properly, the worldwide birth rate has dropped almost ninety-one percent in the last two years.

CARTER
    So was I. According to the Aschen doctors, I was fine. But not according to Doctor Fraiser. We got into the Aschen computer network; they keep statistics on everything. In the past couple of years, without our even knowing it, they have managed to sterilize over ninety percent of the world's population. The other ten percent are probably just a matter of time. We don't know how they've done it, or even how they've even managed to keep it a secret this long…

In your quote, humanmusic, you left out the "Why now?" which shows that Daniel was asking why the Aschen would do this sort of thing now and not at an earlier point in the 10 year association Earth has had with the Aschen...

DANIEL
    Assuming the Aschen could keep something that big secret…it's been ten years. Why now?

What was not exactly clear why would they risk such a plan with Earth, if they can simply wipe them out? If they have shared the gate addresses anyway as Teal'c has come from Chulak, then the Aschen could have started to use their vaccines on some smaller or unvaluable planets behind the back of SGC. Maybe they wanted our big, juicy planet for themselves.

But anyway the episode is cool and the whole "airport" scene is still shocking and it has made me shivering again.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    What was not exactly clear why would they risk such a plan with Earth, if they can simply wipe them out? If they have shared the gate addresses anyway as Teal'c has come from Chulak, then the Aschen could have started to use their vaccines on some smaller or unvaluable planets behind the back of SGC. Maybe they wanted our big, juicy planet for themselves.

But anyway the episode is cool and the whole "airport" scene is still shocking and it has made me shivering again.
    If your goal is not actually to share power with anyone, would you want a technologically advanced world that billions of humans live on in your fake coalition of equals? Reducing the Earth's birth rate was not much of a risk for them because they were technologically superior and, as we saw in the episode, there was nothing Earth could to stop them other than reset the timeline. What was a risk was letting Earth continue to advance and possibly outgrow the protective status the Aschen bestowed on them.
    Last edited by Xaeden; March 11th, 2020 at 04:40 PM.

I mean they could eridicate the whole Earth if they really wanted. But I am guessing they wanted to learn about culture, technology, discoveries etc.

By the way... reset the timeline is never a real solution as the other ruined alternate reality still exists. And this is a returning plot in Stargate lore that an other reality will sacrifice itself for an unsure other reality. And if you think about it from their point of view, why would they do it? So okay, we have never met the Ashens now, but this alternate future has still happened. The "terrorists" were neutralized at the gate and the Aschen rules forever.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

There are alternate realities nearly identical to the one they were in, but Stargate has never said it ascribes to the idea that time travel creates a new reality. Everyone in every time travel episode (save "1969" because they later retconned that form of time travel) is under the impression that it erases their current timeline.
    Last edited by Xaeden; March 11th, 2020 at 04:39 PM.

Stargate : Endgame

Staff Sergeant

I think that it was not mentioned there, but somebody complained about the absence of Bra'tac in this episode, but we should remember that he said in Threshold that his last symbiont should mature during 2 years and the new one would refuse him. And it was shown that Aschen did not have means to get rid Jaffa of their dependence on symbionts, so without any alternative Bra'tac had to die after his symbiont matured, long time before 2010.

I was actually bothered more the absence of Jacob in this episode.

And yes, this Teal'c's friend was not useful too much in reversing the timeline, but on the other hand he was willing to put his life on the line for our world (Teal'c would not take him to the Earth without the alert that it can end his death) which gains some points for him from me.
    Last edited by Manche; June 15th, 2020 at 11:18 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516