No announcement yet.

Star Trek Ships vs. Stargate Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on the fact that Star Gate ships can travel across the Galaxy like its nothing and several races can travel between galaxies, its an absurd comparison. Stargate ships makes Star Trek stuff look like 20th century Earth.

Comment

I was thinking how long it would take to travel to other Galaxy's would depend on there they are like the Galaxy is a circle so if the Asgard Galaxy was just outside our part it would be faster also the same with Pegasus do we know if the Prgasus is completely acrost our Galaxy
      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
      sigpic

Comment

Well... one should consider that most races with that technology <to travel accross galaxy's> have been at it much longer then Star Trek, who didn't borrow tech, which the SGC did. So, in terms of developement on their own, Star Trek beats StarGate. Besides, it an absurd comparison from other stand points.

the pride of the Federation was an exploration ship, not meant for serious combat, which is what the Daedelus was intended for. am I wrong?

When the Federation put their minds on weapons, they came up with the Defiant, which officially has over four times the fire power of the Pride of the Federation and it's only four decks.
        'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by giantevilhead
          Although I think the only time we've seen a Star Trek ship getting smashed up by fender bender type collision was in Nemesis, in DS9 they had lots of Jem'Hadar ships ram full impulse into other ships.
          Nah I was thinking of that TNG episode where they got caught in the timeloop and that other antiquated Federation ship kept coming out of the timewarp and scraping some paint off their engine which then caused them to blow up.

It happened over and over again 3 times I think and really hammered home just how glass jawed their ships must be to blow sky high from a pithy little nudge like that.

The old junker seemed to survive the collision just fine every time though. I guess it was built in a time before the Federation went all commie and their build quality reaped the rewards of that.

Comment

Its def a hard one but I think overall Stargate would win allthough I think it would be a close match.

Asgard vs Trek - Asgard (Asgard has superior everything lol)
            Wraith vs Trek - Trek (Trek has more powerful ships)
            Borg vs Replicators - Even (Borg could possibly assimerlate the technology but the replicators may not be able to be assimerlated)
            Acended vs Q Contiuum (Ascended can't be killed Qs can with Q weapons)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
              Those are good scifi questions!
              Who died and made you the final authority on what makes a "good sci-fi question?"
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I'd probably have to throw a vote out there for the Stargate ships. Not Tauri ships, but Asgard and Goa'uld, probably.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

You can calculate the maximum yield of a photon torpedo. They are supposed to contain up to a kilogram or so of antimatter which is annihilated with matter to create the explosion.

e = m*(c^2)
                  e = 2 kg*(299,792,458 m/2)^2
                  e = 179,751,035,747,363,528 kg m^2/s^2 (joules)
                  1.8e17 = approx 43 megatons

Not real impressive there. We've got bigger nukes today.

Actually, I stand somewhat corrected. I just looked at a Wikipedia article on the weapons of Star Trek and got this.
                  At maximum yield, a Mark VI photon torpedo (the standard Starfleet photon torpedo in the late 24th century) carries a 1.5 kilogram antimatter charge, for a theoretical maximum explosive yield of 18.5 isotons. However, efficiency and geometry reduce energy-to-target a significant amount even under ideal conditions.
                  I don't know what an isoton is, it doesn't really exist. But since the maximum yield of 1.5 kg of antimatter annihilated is 2.69626554e17 joules (type 3 kg to joules into google) or about 64.5 megatons so you can estimate that one isoton is about 3.5 megatons.
                  The same article says that quantum torps have a yield of 52.1 isotons which works out to about 181 megatons. Improved but still paltry compared to the naquada enhanced nukes. And let's not even get into the naquadria enhanced gatebuster there.

Unfortunately the article doesn't really give much info on phaser power output, though it does seem to be limited by the ship's available power
                  Dialogue in TOS implies the phasers required considerable power to charge, and could even funnel all of the ships power.
                  I was unable to locate any figures on power output for most of the ships, though I did find that the Enterprise D in STTNG had 11 5.1 megawatt phaser arrays so it's probably safe to say those could NOT channel the entire ship's energy output. 5.1 megawatts, btw, is PITIFUL. The average phaser burst lasts about, what 2-3 seconds? We'll be generous and give them 3 seconds. If the burst lasts 3 seconds, then that's 0.00425 megawatthours (1 megawatthour being a power of 1 megawatt for a period of 1 hour) or the chemical energy contained in .12 US gallons of gasoline, not quite 1 pint (or about .45 liters for you metric folks). Hate to say it, but it really doesn't look good for phaser power output.

Also, c = 299,792,458 meters/sec = the speed of light in a vacuum.

Comment

Do the ori have ships?

Comment

No more than the Ancients do. But the priors and their worshippers do.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                        You can calculate the maximum yield of a photon torpedo. They are supposed to contain up to a kilogram or so of antimatter which is annihilated with matter to create the explosion.

e = m*(c^2)
                        e = 2 kg*(299,792,458 m/2)^2
                        e = 179,751,035,747,363,528 kg m^2/s^2 (joules)
                        1.8e17 = approx 43 megatons

Not real impressive there. We've got bigger nukes today.

Actually, I stand somewhat corrected. I just looked at a Wikipedia article on the weapons of Star Trek and got this.

I don't know what an isoton is, it doesn't really exist. But since the maximum yield of 1.5 kg of antimatter annihilated is 2.69626554e17 joules (type 3 kg to joules into google) or about 64.5 megatons so you can estimate that one isoton is about 3.5 megatons.
                        The same article says that quantum torps have a yield of 52.1 isotons which works out to about 181 megatons. Improved but still paltry compared to the naquada enhanced nukes. And let's not even get into the naquadria enhanced gatebuster there.

Unfortunately the article doesn't really give much info on phaser power output, though it does seem to be limited by the ship's available power

I was unable to locate any figures on power output for most of the ships, though I did find that the Enterprise D in STTNG had 11 5.1 megawatt phaser arrays so it's probably safe to say those could NOT channel the entire ship's energy output. 5.1 megawatts, btw, is PITIFUL. The average phaser burst lasts about, what 2-3 seconds? We'll be generous and give them 3 seconds. If the burst lasts 3 seconds, then that's 0.00425 megawatthours (1 megawatthour being a power of 1 megawatt for a period of 1 hour) or the chemical energy contained in .12 US gallons of gasoline, not quite 1 pint (or about .45 liters for you metric folks). Hate to say it, but it really doesn't look good for phaser power output.

Also, c = 299,792,458 meters/sec = the speed of light in a vacuum.
                        But Federation vessels can also use their navigational deflector as a weapon which can generate a beam more powerful than the entire ship's complement of weapons. Albeit it does basically drain the whole ship of power especially the warp engines, not to mention the dish itself would burn out and need to be repaired and the radiation from such a blast mean mass evacuations of personnel from exposed sections of the ship.

Comment

As much as Stargate is my favourite of the two, I have to say, Star Trek has much cooler ships...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                          "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I'm going to add my shows and movies into the mix
                            Ancients Vs Star Trek = Ancients
                            Earth ships Vs Star Trek = startrek
                            Goa'uld Vs Star Trek = Goa'uld
                            Wraith Vs Star Trek = Star Trek
                            Ori Vs Star Trek = unknown
                            Asgard Vs Star Trek = Asgard
                            Tollan Vs Star Trek = Tollan
                            Nox Vs Star Trek = nothing would happen/orthe nox would nullify the StarTreak ship.
                            Foothold Aliens Vs Star Trek = invasion so Foothold
                            Atlantis/Earth outpost vs Star Trek = we would kick their butts
                            Star Wars Ships Vs Star Trek = Star Wars
                            Andromena Vs Star Trek = Andromena
                            Lost in space Vs Star Trek =Star Trek
                            Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                            Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                            new enemy of the Ori
                            At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

i will stake the stargate ship please
                              carter "colone?"
                              o'neill "it,s my side arm, i swear. no giggling."

Comment

Originally posted by shaqarava
                                Warp 10 is infinite according to the warp scale used to measure speeds in teh 24th century. That episode your referring to was in a future timeline and by that time they had rescaled everything down.

This site, especially the last question at the bottom answers your question well: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/3939/warp10.htm

Basically if warp 10 is infinite, and if a fast ship like Voyager can go a max speed of warp 9.975 then it has room for improvement before reaching 10. So it can go 9.999, and even further, 9.9999. Eventually it becomes inconvenient to say those decimals so you rescale it down so warp 9.975 is now warp 6 and warp 9.999 is warp 7 and warp 9.9999 is warp 8 etc.

As that site puts it "I said Warp 9.99998, Ensign, not Warp 9.9998!" Someone had to eventually have given up and decided to renumber the darn system."
                                welcome to the forum
                                carter "colone?"
                                o'neill "it,s my side arm, i swear. no giggling."

Comment

Working...
                                X