• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight of the Phoenix (209)

Visit the Episode GuideGALACTICA SEASON TWO
    FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
    EPISODE NUMBER - 209

The Galactica is struck with a Cylon computer virus that threatens to kill the crew, forcing Adama to go to their Cylon prisoner. Chief Tyrol throws himself into the impossible task of building a Viper from scratch.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 05:07 PM.

One of the second best episodes of the season (Home, Part 2 is the best this season). Loved the new viper.
    sigpic

Comment

i thought it was great too, i hope they build more of the new vipers, though coming up with parts could be hard. cant wait for next weeks episode

Comment

I missed the first airing (will catch it in the next 30 minutes), but is it really the end of the season after pegasus or is it still season 2 in January?
        "Did you really expect some Utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bl4de
          I missed the first airing (will catch it in the next 30 minutes), but is it really the end of the season after pegasus or is it still season 2 in January?
          no pegasus is the mid-season finale, should be back for the second half in january with sg1 and atlantis

Comment

I loved this episode. BSG is getting better with time. High notes to me:

*Roslin and Adama's talk in the middle and at the end
            *Chief naming the ship "Laura"...that was awesome!
            *The new ships rocks! Damn, it is fast too!
            *The scene where the Vipers tore up the Raiders...awesome

I can't believe Roslin only has a couple of week to a month top. AHH! I really like Laura Roslin.

Comment

I have a feeling that whole thing was a ploy in order for Sharon to gain more trust. Other possibility could have been that the Cylons were going to board Galactica and take Sharon by force and then destroy Galactica, but I still don’t think that was the plan. I think the Cylons want her aboard Galactica for a reason.

Sharon. Fiber optic cable. Hand. Any ideas how she transmits a command by doing that.

Okay I just really had to suspend my disbelief about the Chief building a Viper from scratch in what two, three weeks tops and only working when off-duty. I’m not saying he couldn’t build one from scratch, I just find that time period a little impossible. Heck it might have been even less than that. I know others were helping but he had to be there to supervise, and he’s still got a day job.

And Helo coming up with the idea to use that material for the skin. Okay I know they were looking for a way to ender him to the crew, but that?

Explosive rounds in the shooting range? Didn’t think we wanted to waste those. Never mind how close Kara and Lee were to the door that got blown of its hinges….

Okay. I guess they aren’t as low on Vipers as I thought they were. When they were facing off with the Cylons, I counted at least 39 Vipers, maybe give or take a few.

I wonder if Adama has an inkling about what is going on with Roslin. I know everybody knows she is dying but as far as they know that’s a couple of months away.

Good episode nonetheless. Didn’t really advance any plot (other than dealing with the Cylon virus from “Scattered”), but as usual some nice character moments. All the scenes with Roslin were great. I was thinking to myself that there was no way these people were going to waste a bottle of champagne on a ship, and then Roslin fakes them out. LOL! Probably about giving Tigh a heart attack.
              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 16 September 2005, 09:01 PM.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

That was a great episode! For some reason based upon the description I was not expecting much from this episode, I was pleasently suprised.

Comment

Wow...just....wow

That was a true experience
                  sigpic
                  Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                  "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Good episode.

It seemed to me that Adama suspected the truth about Roslin not having much longer but was afraid to say something.

As far as how long it took to build the new ship it's not as far fetched as one might think. There is a show called Junkyard Wars on the "Science Channel" and one episode had teams building airplanes for the Anniversary of the Wright Brother's Flight.

They had 20 hours to build them using only tools and parts available at the turn of the Century. The parts all had to be found in the junkyard. All three actually got into the air and flew short distances.

The Chief on the show was doing basically the same thing using existing parts and technology. And as an engineer he might have had ideas for years on how to build a better Viper and finally had his chance. (notice it didn't actually show him drawing up those blue prints!)

And yes I wondered where all those Vipers came from too. My understanding was that there were only a dozen still flyable with a bunch out of commission.

Another thing since the Pegasus appears in the next episode I wonder if Admiral Cain picks up the Cylon transmissions and is coming to investigate or will they meet some other way?

Comment

That just seemed like an awful lot of fabrication that was being done for such a complex machine. All the cutting and welding and grinding of the frame alone has to be time consuming. Tyrol had an awful lot of the frame constructed before anyone finally decided to help him. That seemed like a lot of work for one man to have done in any short period of time. Then later with all the cutting and fitting of the carbon fiber skin. The wiring was probably the easiest part of the whole project.

But then what do I know since I’ve never done anything like that before. Closest I’ve ever come is watching those automotive shows where the guys build/remodel a vehicle from the ground up. And that’s usually with pre-fabbed pieces.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

When they launched the new fighter did Starbuck lose control of it or was she intending to fly like that?

Comment

That wasn't too bad an episode... I'm really liking Chief a lot more as the storyline progresses. He's a man who has lost everything but that which is innately his. I have a lot of sympathy for him. Great to see his project become such a symbol of hope for all the crew.
                          Helo, on the other hand,... not so much... I'm not sure where they're going with him, quite frankly. On Caprica, he was this resourceful, thoughtful soldier and now, he's turning into a namby pamby...

BSG's strength really lies with its characterization and this is one episode which really proves it in that the parts are better than the whole. As a whole, the story feels derivative but the little moments between people is what makes it better than the overall story.
                          Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          I have a feeling that whole thing was a ploy in order for Sharon to gain more trust. Other possibility could have been that the Cylons were going to board Galactica and take Sharon by force and then destroy Galactica, but I still don’t think that was the plan. I think the Cylons want her aboard Galactica for a reason.
                          I share similar suspicions... Poor SharonCylon... she is going to have to work hard to prove where her loyalties really lie. But perhaps she isn't ultimately the problem and that she's just as much a pawn in the cylon scheme of things.

But the best moments in this episodes are undoubtedly between Adama and Roslin. One can't help but feel that they communicate on so many different levels and that in another time and place they would've been more than colleagues. Each seems to be able to match the other's intensity and both carry an inner strength that drives them to survive. They are both survivors and that's why they are a great team, when they're not doing things behind one another's back.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It lasts about 2 seconds: another Sharon in Marine gear. And the camera focus is on her, not the prisoner Sharon in background.
                            I wonder how could she hide for so long since most people should have recognized her by now.
                            Or it's because I am so into Grace?

Comment

Originally posted by busuan
                              It lasts about 2 seconds: another Sharon in Marine gear. And the camera focus is on her, not the prisoner Sharon in background.
                              I wonder how could she hide for so long since most people should have recognized her by now.
                              Or it's because I am so into Grace?
                              How far into the episode did you see this?

Comment

Working...
                              X