X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qasim
    It was obvious we werent going to keep the ship

Its the oldest scifi cliche in the book
    Which cliche? Finding something nifty, but being unable to keep it, or finding something nifty, and making it the central tennant of the show (i.e., Atlantis itself)?

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
    But to be fair they never hyped it, someone made an off hand comment about ancients and a ship. Then the fandom took this information and ran with it - but come on as an episode it was never intended to overshadow the big mid season 2 parter
    Meanwhile, for the other two million fans who don't frequent spoiler sites, it will just be a stand alone episode where they learn a little more about the Ancients and their war with the Wraith.

a time to mourn

Comment

except for me any show that mentions ancients and ship mean it should be nothing, nothing short of the best episode in the season, ships for me make stargate and doing the greatest race's ships in that manner is pathetic, if they do ancinets or orii warships in such a manner i will never watch the show again believe me.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
        In the thread for that ep, it was constantly likened to The Matrix. Ahahaha, the day SGA - or SG1 for that matter - is like The Matrix, i'll have seen my first flying pig!
        ...have you seen "Prototype"?

Comment

I agree the episode was really bad from a continuity standpoint..
          SPOILERS

1. In SG1 "FROZEN" THEY ESTABLISH THAT THE ANCIENTS PHYSIOLOGY DOES NOT DIE OUT IN COLD AND SHE HAS NOT EVEN AGED SO WHY IN AN ANCIENT'S STASIS POD DO THE ANCIENTS GET SO OLD? AGAIN IN SG1 THE ANCIENTS, BY THE TIME THEY WERE UNDER SEIGE AND AURORA DEPARTED. SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN SOMETHAT ADVANCED HUMAN FORM AND SHOULD HAVE SOME TELEPATHIC POWERS, ESP, AND ADVANCED HEALTH. SO WHY DO THEY NEED "RAY GUNS" AND GET SO OLD SO QUICKLY. (10,000 YRS SHOULD NOT BE THAT LONG CONSIDERING IN FROZEN SHE WAS MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD).
          2. WHY DO THE AURORA SECURITY GUARDS SEEM CLUELESS... ARE THEY NOT AS SMART AS THE OTHER LANTEANS (ALTERIANS). AND WHY SO MANY PUSH BUTTONS FOR CONTROLS WHEN 4 MILLION YEARS BEFORE AS THEY LEFT EARTH'S OUTPOST THEY HAD ALREADY DEVELOPED THE THOUGHT CONTROL CHAIR WITH NO NEED FOR SILLY STAR TREK CONSOLES.

3. OVERALL I FEEL THE TECHNOLOGY AND ABILITIES OF THE ANCIENTS IN STARGATE ATLANTIS HAVE BEEN DRASTICALLY "DUMBED DOWN" COMPAIRED TO HOW THE ANCIENTS WERE PORTRAYED IN SG1 SEASONS 1-8. I JUST FEEL LIKE TPTB ARE NO LONGER PAYING ATTENTION TO DETAILS

Comment

Originally posted by TOA
            It aired in Canada on TMN on Monday night.
            yeah, I grabbed it off newsgroups and just finished watching it

had little to do at work today..

Comment

Originally posted by tfalls1
              I agree the episode was really bad from a continuity standpoint..
              SPOILERS

1. In SG1 "FROZEN" THEY ESTABLISH THAT THE ANCIENTS PHYSIOLOGY DOES NOT DIE OUT IN COLD AND SHE HAS NOT EVEN AGED SO WHY IN AN ANCIENT'S STASIS POD DO THE ANCIENTS GET SO OLD? AGAIN IN SG1 THE ANCIENTS, BY THE TIME THEY WERE UNDER SEIGE AND AURORA DEPARTED. SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN SOMETHAT ADVANCED HUMAN FORM AND SHOULD HAVE SOME TELEPATHIC POWERS, ESP, AND ADVANCED HEALTH. SO WHY DO THEY NEED "RAY GUNS" AND GET SO OLD SO QUICKLY. (10,000 YRS SHOULD NOT BE THAT LONG CONSIDERING IN FROZEN SHE WAS MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD).
              2. WHY DO THE AURORA SECURITY GUARDS SEEM CLUELESS... ARE THEY NOT AS SMART AS THE OTHER LANTEANS (ALTERIANS). AND WHY SO MANY PUSH BUTTONS FOR CONTROLS WHEN 4 MILLION YEARS BEFORE AS THEY LEFT EARTH'S OUTPOST THEY HAD ALREADY DEVELOPED THE THOUGHT CONTROL CHAIR WITH NO NEED FOR SILLY STAR TREK CONSOLES.

3. OVERALL I FEEL THE TECHNOLOGY AND ABILITIES OF THE ANCIENTS IN STARGATE ATLANTIS HAVE BEEN DRASTICALLY "DUMBED DOWN" COMPAIRED TO HOW THE ANCIENTS WERE PORTRAYED IN SG1 SEASONS 1-8. I JUST FEEL LIKE TPTB ARE NO LONGER PAYING ATTENTION TO DETAILS
              So many caps... my eyes hurt
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                So many caps... my eyes hurt
                SORRY BLAME APPLE FOR THE INTERMITTANT STICKING CAPLOCK KEY

Comment

I liked the ep I personally think it would have been worse if they got out there towed it back to Atlantis and did a bunch of stuff with it that would have made for a awful ep there would have been no conflict and no good story line but the ONLY reason the blow the ship up was to stop the Wraith from getting it and turning there Hyper drive into and intergalactic hyper drive and getting to earth and also if the Deady stayed to fight then the Wraith would have known they weren't dead and would have went for Atlantis

yes we didn't learn much but really how much do we learn in one ep ever its over all the eps we learn most of the stuff and you can never judged a season till its over
                  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                    ill add to that
                    6)why didnt the ancinets know they put themselves in hibernation, its there ship!
                    I can answer this one anyways because the Wraith altered to make it so they didn't know
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                    sigpic

Comment

Man im like a frakin psychic arent i. I totally predicted aurora would be a letdown, even though i havent seen it yet. Can anyone find the thread i started a while back about aurora possibly being a dissapointment?

Best Stargate quote:
                      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                      Green is your friend.

Comment

You need to chill Immhotep. Just because the ep didn't go the way you wanted it to go doesn't make it a bad ep. I thought it was 1 of the best eps this season, but if you didn't like it that's your opinion, but think about it like this: wouldn't it just be too easy and boring if Alantis got to keep the ship and went home. All their probs would be solved and that would be the end of sga. Having the wraith onboard as far as I'm concerned made it far more exicting and involved alot more action than it not being there, after all it is the enemy in sga but it sounds like you really don't like them which is a huge part of the sga series. Also the ep made wraith seem more dangerous and cleverer than they did before, they arn't as easy to beat or trick as I thought before. The idea they came up with for getting the info from the ancients was a good 1, but I did find it odd that the wraith took the place of a woman. It was probably because of her rank.
                        Last edited by Dr Weir; 21 September 2005, 03:50 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Whoever has seen aurora might know the answer to this. Did the aurora have any defensive weapons even though i heard it was a
                          Spoiler:
                          Science Vessel
                          ? I don't know where i heard this but was the ship beaten up? If it was, why would the ancients send a
                          Spoiler:
                          science vessel
                          into battle without any defensive or offensive weapons? In the
                          Spoiler:
                          VR Room when they pick up the ship, do they get any signals from other ships
                          ?

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            It was on a recon mission which meant the ancients were looking for weaknesses in wraith technology which they found. Even through it wasn't said in the ep in the gateworld ep guide it says it was a warship and McKay said in the ep that there were no drones left.
                            sigpic

Comment

1) Why wouldnt they pull the pods out of aurora and worry about restoring the Ancients later. I mean who would create a system to sustain life but make it so you couldnt move it. What if the ship blew up -what the ancients would jump out of the air locks?
                              2) Why would the Ancients trust a computer thats easy to hack with crucial info
                              3) Why would they use the slower ship to transport said data.
                              4) How could the captain not even know what hes carrying, yet trust something so critical to a computer
                              5) Why would the wraith not destroy the ship years ago, since they obviously knew it was there.
                              6)why didnt the ancinets know they put themselves in hibernation, its there ship!
                              7)why dont they send the info via subspace
                              8)why didnt the deady just tow the aurora in hyperspace back to atlantis
                              9) if mackay can alter the enviroment why not just make a copy of all the minds in the system and everything in the envrioemtn and study it later
                              10)why did it still have power when it looked form the outside like space junk ( like the stuff around the earth after TLC)
                              1. They couldn't take the ones out that they checked because the physical bodies were too degraded to re-support life again. So if they done it, then they would have been killed instantly or very very shortly after being re-awoken. It's possible with more time that they might have managed to wake up some of the younger member of the crew but they didn't have time to go through hundreds of pods on several decks.

2. The computer wasn't easy to hack, it only became easy in the VR world. Originally in real life Wraith don't have the gene & so would have been locked out of all important areas of the ship.

3. It depends on what there speed was, Just because it wasn't intergalactic doesn't mean that it didn't zip about Pegasus like the Flash while it was still fully functional.

4. He explained that in the episode, it was too important & would have been far safer in the computers, where if anything happened then there would have been a far better chance of recovery. Again the computers were only easy in the VR world that the Wraith had modified to suit it's own ends.

5. Probably the same reason they didn't take out the weapons sat or send more troops to the planet in 'Trinity.' They didn't see it as a threat. They might have realised about trying to gain the knowledge of the advanced ancient tech which it contained, but because they were Wraith then the security measures probably kicked in & stopped them from gaining access to it. Then when the ZPM was plugged back in, it began broadcasting & powered up again & they then they could try & get into the systems somehow.

6. They probably did initially but the Wraith re-wrote the program to it's own ends & that also would have meant erasing certain parts of their memories.

7. They were on the other side of the galaxy with no local gates to help make it more secure. So because of the nature of the info & the distance that the message would have had to travel then it would have been too risky.

8. It isn't an Asgard ship & so wouldn't have anything like the pulling power of one. The Aurora seemed pretty big to me & so I don't think they had the power to tug it anywhere. Also there wasn't enough time beforem they were alerted to the Cruisers being on the way.

9. Making a few changes to a computer program is simple in terms of breaking into peroples minds & storing their consciousnesses into a few hard drives. There is no way they are advanced enough to do such a task.

10. It had power constantly onto the stasis pods, the main power would have been damaged during the battle like the weapons sat platform, yet I'm sure that a few bypasses would have been enough to get a few basic systems back online for a brief period.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                maybe the ship had drones or some other sort of weapons, and McKay Could detect them
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X