No announcement yet.

Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing, did the Wraith create the virtual environment on simply manipulate something that was already part of the ship's system?
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The latter. I think the crew already had the VR up and running, the Wraith just imprinted himself into it.

Comment

Aurora

It's no secret that the format that SGA has allow for some pretty entertaining episodes to be made, episodes like this one in which Sheppard finds himself in a virtual reality type situation all for the hunt for a certain "weakness" which could potentially turn the tide in their war against the Wraith. Now though it may seem eerily familiar, it still doesn't undermine the fact that it's entertaining mainly because of the fact that the characters provide a different take on the situation and the various running themes that SGA has help to freshen up the theme so that it has that new episode smell.

The virtual reality Sheppard is placed in is decent enough, I sorta disliked the overly blue tint they used to indicate that this is the virtual reality and the various special effects used but it fit the mood well plus it looked pretty cool so I'm willing to let it slide. It may only contain of a few sets, a jail cell and a bridge but the way they're used is amazing; it's like they managed to utilize the most out of what would only consist of a small number of settings throughout the entire episode. The tense parts, the awesome parts, even the most serious of dramatic parts; all used within a single setting; I would of liked to see them use more of a setting, I mean the moment Sheppard arrives in the virtual reality you'll be thinking about how massive this virtual reality is and the places you will go but I guess they did the best with what they had so that's saying a lot. Story wise, it's impressive how they use it in order to establish the setting; an old time where ancients were still alive, commanding the ship, trying to get back to Atlantis and deliver the weakness that is ever so vital; and the plot elements that are set up, it makes this episode into a mini-movie, with it's own thematic structures and relevant items; granted they didn't try to make it as epic as possible but I'm satisfied by the fact they decided to add some flourishes usually reserved for bigger episodes.

Pretty amazing flourishes there...

There are two characters who get a focus in the virtual reality; the captain and the first officer... The captain is a pretty nice fellow, having some dynamic in him that makes him an engagable character. He reminds me somewhat of Kirk in his mannerisms, his confidence, sayings, doubts and even his leadership, the various moments that he has with Sheppard could be considered a good show of his character and though he's placed in a less then fortunate role, he's still a pretty nice fellow. The first officer however is questionable, (I'm aware of the surprise at hand) her performance is alright but she seems to pull the curtain off what should be the big surprise; when somebody draws attention to one of the plot elements, people will focus on those plot elements and they will likely come to the realization quicker then writers expect, meaning that much of the surprise & immersion intended will be ruined. Her performance is decent, she does manage to be suspicious while also being determined and she does factor in to many of the awesome moments but her specific focus on something, that one secular thing ruins much of the episode for me and that effects her performance in a big way. It isn't a problem for those of you who manage to look over it though.

Sheppard manages to do well for himself in this episode, his serious moments in the virtual reality could of used some work but it works well for his character; it shows that he's determined to do anything possible to get what he wants (just think, a possible weakness for the Wraith if it ever existed), even if he has to repeat it constantly, his ferocity is clear, his firmness is there and he doesn't seem to be willing to give up, things we all love about his character. He also manages to take to the lighthearted mood providing some unexpectedly entertaining and awesome moments, there are just too many to count but I liked the moment where he jumped in and out of the reality in an instant... Sheppard's versatility can't be questioned and in this case, it leads to some truly great moments indeed. McKay also plays somewhat of a background role (with him making the usual quips) but he manages to get in on some of that action, also taking to the lighthearted mood and providing some good moments, including his pose everytime he disconnects which I just thought was corny and cheesy in a good way; though again, he plays the background role and doesn't truly factor in until near the end of the episode. The way it ends in the virtual reality is somewhat anticlimatic but the way they save the day more then makes up for the ending and in fact, rectifies the story as a whole.

Heh.

There still manages to be some classic Stargate stuff inbetween. A mysterious ship out in the middle of nowhere, the exploration of said ship, the discovery of the crew in stasis, the fact that we can interact with said crew, I mean who wouldn't want the opportunity to talk to a real live ancient? There's also the military side of things, Cadwell and the Daedalus and the Wraith provided a nice conflict that gave the episode tension and a ticking clock that weighed the episode down, preventing it from being too lighthearted. It moves the episode, gives it something to work towards and it helps to keep people engaged; wondering whether or not they'll make it in time before they're compromised. Cadwell's personality is still something that isn't noteworthy though he plays the military commander role well enough, providing a combination protagonist/antagonist that the episode utilizes well; then there are the moments like Ronan and Teyla's technobabble moment, the takedown and explosive moments that just make it such an exciting experience, they'll make you laugh and they'll have you at the edge of your seat and the ending, well it's an especially nice touch that brings the episode to another level despite the preceding content of the episode not being up to par with the ending.

This is SGA's take on the virtual reality concept and it's a pretty good one. It's mostly lighthearted but it manages to be serious at times, satisfying both audiences who might watch this episode; it contains a decent Sheppard performance, some nice flourishes and a story that more then provides. There are some things that work against the episode but mostly this is yet another in the long line of entertaining SGA episodes and one that also provides some insight into the Ancients at that. So sit down, watch, enjoy and get immersed in that virtual reality of theirs.

7.5/10
        Back from the grave.

Comment

An alright ep

Our first look at an Ancient Warship and the Ancients in action.

Very sneaky of the Wraith. Trying to get intel like that. Would have worked if the pesky humans didn't show up.

I really liked the blue hue the virtual reality scenes had. Looked nice.

Teyla's excuses for delaying were funny. She really pulled all that out of her bum didn't she.

Really nice touch at the end with the Champagne.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
            Teyla's excuses for delaying were funny. She really pulled all that out of her bum didn't she.
            She has been around Mccay enough she knows what to say!

Comment

My Livejournal post
              Pretty cool ep, feel sorry for the crew though...
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

This is a good one in that introduces a lot of new information that can be explored. For example the weakness in Wraith technology I thought was answered in S4's Spoils of War. It also shows how the first intoduction of Ancient ships and we see not only how Ancient ships but we learn how to operate. I have to wonder what the advantage of slow Ancient ships is. With only an interstellar hyperdrive I have to wonder what do they get more drones, better shields, etc? The reality program part did not interest me that much. Its an overdone concept. It was more of the foundation of new information we learned because of the reality program that interests me.
                Last edited by jelgate; 31 July 2012, 05:35 PM. Reason: I hit post too early
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Jel, could you enlighten us??

Comment

About what?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The weakness you thought was show in in Spoils of war..

Comment

Wow an ancient ship. Great story. It was very creepy in a way.
                        I knew we had to see a really good looking Wraith.

Comment

Plus it was our first look AT an ancient ship bigger than the jumpers.

Comment

I didn't like much of this program except for the wraith. I didn't like the whole concept of AU in hybernation either, especially because team Atlantis wasn't treaten so greatly by these ancients...
                            On your knees human!! *hiss*

Comment

I liked the episode but it did have a lot of plot holes. The one thing I think is odd in general is the wraith and ancients were about even in tech. The wraith made up with numbers where they were out matched by tech. In 10k years wouldn't the wraith have grown beyond the ancients. The only beings on sci fi shows that ever advance are humans.

Comment

Perhaps the fact they took OUT the ancients made them feel they don't need to advance any more.. so they stagnated till we came on the picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X