No announcement yet.

Conversion (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty good episode. Though it was a little bit....I don't know the word. Same-ish. What happened to Shephard is so close to what's happening to Ford it's like 'Ho-hum'. Because you knew Shephard would be back to normal at the end of the episode. You don't know what's going to become of Ford. By contrast, knowing how the episode would end made it more boring.

It's a perfectly fine episode, but no different than any of the other perfectly fine episodes. Nothing new or unexpected, you basically had a pretty good idea how the entire episode would go just from how the previous episode ended.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode.

I enjoyed the Weir-Caldwell interaction... Awesome stuff!

The Weir-Sheppard interaction was incredibly well done. This is the Atlantis Team I knew from Season One...

Finally, Sheppard and Teyla kissed! I have been waiting for this since "Rising"!!! Yes, too bad John was under the influence. I, too, am glad he realised his situation.

Comment

I loved this episode !!!!

I love this show for many reasons but mainly because of the characters reactions towards each other.

Like in the very beginning of the show when they bring Shep in on the gurney (?) and Mckay is complaining about having to walk when all he got was a splinter. It cracked me up, but then again I do tend to find most things quite amusing, especially Mckay's constant chatter. I LOVE it. He cracks me up.

Also the part about the collars in the cave was funny.

All of the other characters in this episode were excellent as well, but I just have to say that I'm not a big Wier fan. I'm not quite sure why, but I just don't like her.

Shep was wonderful. He fought the "conversion" and called for help when he needed it. I think that he handled the whole becoming a wraith thing extremely well.

Comment

Interesting ep. Plot-wise, some good stuff, although I'd like to know where the hazmat suits were when they were in the cave. McKay of all people should have wanted full body protection. And how about a sprayer for the tank of water??

I choose to blame the Shep/Teyla stuff on Cooper's influence. Good on Rachel for making Teyla look terrified. And then putting on a bright, smiley face at the end but going "whew!" as she left.

McKay managed to get in some nice, angsty moments, worrying about Shep. He didn't have to SAY much, it was all in the eyes. Good on Hewlett for that.

Yay for the references to Ford. Some nice parallels on a very different track.

Weir... I get the whole empathy thing, but let's not go overboard, OK? It felt like she was coming on a little too strong in that department. The others all managed to show their concern without making it seem as if they were on the verge of tears. Well, maybe Rodney was, but really... Small doses, folks, small doses.

Caldwell. I don't like the guy, but I guess he serves his purpose. His need to jump in and take control of Atlantis's military comes across as a little petulant, though. Guess we'll have to see how it plays out. It could get old, fast. It could work to drive in a wedge and build tensions. Depends on who does the writing, I guess.

Good ep, but not destined to be a favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
            I loved this episode and I think Joe Flanigan did just a superb job of showing us Sheppard's anguish. It felt very true to Shep's character and very poignant.
            Joe Flanigan was incredible in this episode. It was really his moment to shine and he just blew me away! Wonderful, wonderful job.

Originally posted by meimei
            Well, at least it's definate that they aren't shipping Teyla and Shep! She seemed extremely relieved to let the little faux pas die a natural death... LOL! Of course, to me it looks as if the poor Colonel Caldwell has it bad for Weir!!
            I totally agree to both points, but especially Teyla. Incredibly relieved definitely.

This was the best episode of the season IMO. And its definitely my favorite so far in the entire series. Mostly because it really showed the team coming together to help one of their own. Even Ronan, who has only just recently joined the team. The character interactions, especially between John & Weir and Weir & Caldwell, were just so wonderful. Everyone was true to form and at their very best IMO. Wonderful, simple and utterly wonderful.

And that's my two cents...
            My LiveJournal
            ^_^ ~ DANIquinn ~ ^_^

Comment

I absolutely loved this episode, it has got to be my favorite so far.
              Joe did an excellent job in this episode. The kiss btwn John and Teyla seemed like it was forced, John was definetly not himself when he kissed her. ( don't want to sound mean for any Sheppard/Teyla shippers reading this). I liked the interaction btwn Weir/Caldwell, Caldwell really does seem like he wants Sheppards job. The Sheppard/Weir scenes were pretty intense too, lots of angst in this episode. Overall I loved it.
              *AtlantisFan*

McKay: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.
              Sheppard: I shot him.... In the leg.

Ford: How can something as big as Atlantis just sink?
              Sheppard: I'm sure the passengers on the Titanic were asking themselves the same question?!

McKay: You're right- if only we had a magical tool that could slow down time. I foolishly left mine on Earth - did you bring yours?

McKay: I will try, but despite what you all may think, I am not Superman

Comment

Not sure I can put my finger on it, but this wasn't one of my favorite episodes (Not that it was bad. In fact, I can't think of any episodes of Atlantis so far that I 'dislike')

In any case, as I always have to comment on the spectacular work of the CGI people, I loved the shot of the city at night.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                  Well, at least it's definate that they aren't shipping Teyla and Shep! She seemed extremely relieved to let the little faux pas die a natural death... LOL!
                  I think that's far from definite.

I think, however, that it's definite that Teyla kne, or very soon after guessed, Sheppard was really not himself and chalked his behaviour up to his illness.

He couldn't help himself, any more than someone could help having the flu. So why shouldn't she forgive him and say it need not be spoken of?
                  ~*~*~*~*~*
                  not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                    BTW I thought Weir was a bit unreasonable toward him at the end. He offered an olive branch and she slapped it out of his hand. I am all for tough Weir but come on. We know Caldwell wants Sheps job but I think he really is only doing what he think is best.
                    I second that. It seems like recently whenever Weir and Caldwell have some sort of conflict, she tends to come across as meaner, colder, less receptive. Whereas I find myself sympathizing more with Caldwell and his arguments. I don't know where TPTB are going with this but it's actually making me like Weir less and that bugs me.

And on the science front, first retroviral therapy and now embryonic stem cell research saves the day. Funny how TPTB keep picking medical areas that do have some promise, but have a long way to go IRL before they're truly useful. Yay for scifi!

But my major nitpick? Why in the hell did Weir go in to see Shep WITHOUT A SECURITY DETAIL? She went into his darkened room TWICE by herself. Sure it set up the Obviously!Poignant!Moment between them but ye gods, that was stupid. Once maybe, but the second time I just knew he was going to attack her, and sure enough he did. What's with the main characters having such soft hearts and foolish wits when their friends get transformed into something potentially dangerous?

More later.

Comment

Yes, Weir is unreasonably stupid about Shep. I don't like that. Oddly, though, I'd feel more confortable knowing she was unreasonably stupid about EVERYONE (or the major players, anyway). Having it all focus on Shep makes me... uncomfortable.

Comment

I was very impressed with Shepphard. I think he portrayed scary and intimidating even better than Ronon. He actually made me a little nervous there. Weir definitely added to the whole "We're scared of you bit". She also did a great job this episode. I actually got to see exactly what I wanted to see from her. Just more.

I'm not sure about the kiss thing. But I did get the impression that Teyla was more scared than nervous. It wasn't a shippy kind of kiss.

All previously neglected characters got their due this time around.

I really liked the episode. I just can't get over Joe Flannigan's performance and the characterization of everyone else as well.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I loved Season One of Atlantis, and Season Two has been good, but I did feel that it had yet to live up to Season One. If this is the quality that we'll be seeing in the future, the rest of Season Two is going to KICK ASS.

*ahem*

Anyway, as I do on SG-1 threads:

SierraGulf1's Evaluation of Stargate Atlantis 2.08: Conversion

I liked Babylon tonight, but it was nothing special. Hey, not every episode of either series can be mindblowingly awesome, but both series have had their share of great episodes, and this, I feel, is Atlantis's high point so far. To be blunt, Conversion was tasty.

There was action, there was team togetherness, as well as a bit of non-shippy face-sucking. This is by far the best episode of the season, as well as one of the top three of the series (the other two being, if you're curious, Letters From Pegasus and The Eye) in my not-so-humble opinion. The characters were all very well within character, though a bit saddened by what seemed to them the unevitable demise of Sheppard. The writers know down well how to write the six regulars, as well as the wide array of guest stars, particularly Caldwell and Lorne.

Some of it was predictable, such as the red shirts marching to their doom into the cave. By now the unnamed inhabitants of Atlantis would clearly have enough sense not to wonder off to dangerous situations when they're accompanied by a group of recurring and regular characters.

On the subject of characters, a character evaluation:

Sheppard was played excellent by Joe. In some cases a transformation in a character as drastic as the one Sheppard went through can come out corny or overly-dramatic. Such was not the case in Conversion. Despite his disturbing transformation (nice makeup job, by the way) into the Iratus Bug, he still maintained a bit of his character, and his first concern was the safety of others on the base. Bravo, bravo! And where can I get me one of those badass hooded cloaks?

Weir, save her overly harsh remark to Caldwell at the end, was her typical, kickass self. I like how she never weakened in her resolve to do what John wanted her to (until it was deemed necessary by Beckett, of course). She wanted so badly to listen to him, but she knew her duties and she knew that she couldn't let him go offworld. Watching her stand her ground even as Sheppard choked her was in character, and it has become apparent that she possesses leadership skills. She's come a long way from the not-so-capable woman we met in Lost City. Her smack in the face to Caldwell at the end was a bit over the top, but I can live with it.

Teyla is finally no longer the empty shell and hatable sex kitten she was in Season One, though it's still obvious that they're pushing the sex appeal with her. Ah well, let the writers do their thing, as long as she continues to be a fleshed out character. The introduction of Ronon did great things for Teyla, and fleshed her out in ways that would be otherwise impossible without him. Like the rest of the team, she showed obvious concern for Sheppard. Judging from the way she reacted to the kiss, I don't think anyone was trying to get shippy. As someone said, I think it was simply to show Sheppard's animal instincts kicking in.

Ronon showed a bit more of his softside in this one, without going over the top into pining for Sheppard. You can tell that through his tough exterior he was being urged to help. I like how he went off alone to find him, and how he was willing to go back into the Iratus Bug cave alone. I'm enjoying the friendship between Dex and Sheppard, but please, none of this Shex nonsense.

Beckett, Beckett, Beckett. I was beginning to wonder why they turned him into a regular and then shoved him into the background when Instinct and Conversion aired. Beckett is a favorite of mine on Atlantis, and I liked this look deeper into him. He shows what he's doing and he really cares for his patients. Beckett only goes offworld for truly urgent situations, after all.

McKay wasn't so much front and center here as he was since Intuder. Along with everyone else, you could tell he cared and looked hurt when Sheppard walked past him in the gateroom towards the end of the episode. I feared for the character of Rodney after his portrayal in the first three eps, but since Duet, he's only moved forward. I wonder if he and Sheppard are still tense from the events of Trinity?

Lorne and Caldwell were also good. Forgive my somewhat disturbing analogy, but Caldwell is to Weir as horny dog is to human leg? That's just the vibe I got, it was weird. Oh well.

From greatest to worst thus far:

Conversion
                          Duet
                          Runner
                          Trinity
                          Condemned
                          Instinct
                          Intruder

I missed all three showings of Siege 3, but I'll get around to it. Keep it up, writers.
                          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                          Stargate Destiny, Fan
                          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
                            Lorne and Caldwell were also good. Forgive my somewhat disturbing analogy, but Caldwell is to Weir as horny dog is to human leg? That's just the vibe I got, it was weird. Oh well.
                            I got that as well. I love it though. Unreciprocated lust. She really doesn't like him and he really is a little creepy.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
                              Some of it was predictable, such as the red shirts marching to their doom into the cave.
                              Red Shirts, maybe, but if I'm correct, they're the same two guys who have been following Lorne around every time he has a team. No wonder he was a bit upset.

Speaking of Lorne, GREAT STUFF for him tonight. Yay! Lorne Takes Charge! Although when everyone had their nightvision goggles on, I was having a hard time telling everyone apart. Lorne, McKay and Beckett all have short, dark hair. *sigh* Spraypaint one's head red and the other blue and then maybe it'll be easier for me. Lorne, of course, must remain untouched. McKay and Beckett can argue over hair color.

Lorne got some good lines, too. Or at least the one about how Shep would do the same for anyone else. Good stuff. Hope we see more of him. LOTS more. And not in itty bitty pieces, please.
                              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 09 September 2005, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Caldwell. I don't like the guy, but I guess he serves his purpose. His need to jump in and take control of Atlantis's military comes across as a little petulant, though. Guess we'll have to see how it plays out. It could get old, fast. It could work to drive in a wedge and build tensions. Depends on who does the writing, I guess.
                                Oh yeah. What did you say about the decision to hire Mitch Pileggi again?

That you thought Stargate was hiring too many actors from washed-up series? That they were contaminating the show?

Yeah, since The X-Files is consistently ranked among television's best, a show they wrote books about, a show with a huge critical and commercial success - it's 'washed-up' alright.

I don't think you gave Caldwell a chance, given that's what you thought of the casting decision.

So. Thats the grain of salt with which I take your comments about Caldwell.

I'm sure they'd be even more fun with a lime and a shot of Patron, but one can't have everything.
                                ~*~*~*~*~*
                                not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Working...
                                X