No announcement yet.

Babylon (908)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the character well enough, but I think that (especially in his early episodes) they were trying too hard to make him not like Jack.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I never liked the character Mitchell much, I always felt BB brought 'Crichton' from Farscape with him and placed that same wry, frenetic off the wall attitude to things onto Mitchell. He was great in Farscape, loved that character, but that style didn't work in Stargate for me as I feel that has a more serious ordered aspect due to the military setting of the show. This is why Mitchell 'grated' as a character in that setting for me.

I agree he did settle down a lot in season 10, and by the time 'Continuum' came round I found I was watching him as one of SG-1 saving the world!

Comment

Farscape never aired in Germany or I missed it, if it did.
        So, to me both actors (Ben Browder, Claudia Black) were completely new and not associated with any other role.
        But to learn that his Farscape-character was played similar to Mitchell - or rather the other way round - actually stresses my impression, that a lot of it came from BB and was not necessarily intented to be that way by TPTB.

Comment

Here is a great fan of Mitchell!!! Haven't seen Farscape either, so I don't know the other character. I like his attitude and the way he is presented or presents himself - at least this character has been through a lot tough stuff and he shows pure lust for military life - within reason so to say. He is not O'Neill and BB is not RDA - but I think those who only watch for O'Neill should skip those eps without him.
          CARPE DIEM
          ANJA

Comment

I loved this episode for Mitchell. It really shows that he never gives up, and he always tries to remain positive.

I really liked Jolan, but he is the only Sodan I liked-- his brother has a huge chip on his shoulder. The attitude on the rest of the Sodan for the general population of Jaffa grates, especially when they start to follow the Ori.

edited for puzzle time: 10:05
            Last edited by BethHG; 28 June 2022, 06:27 AM.

Comment

The Sodan warriors -- fascinating group of people.
              Kinda like the Samurai in a way.

Anywho, Mitchell gets himself stuck with them, getting taught the ways of the warriors' fighting style in order for Volnek's brother to avenge his "death" in a trial by combat. How fitting!

Now, not everything goes according to plan, so with a little help from the unexpected visit of a prior, Mitchell gets under Jolan's skinn and makes him doubt the honor of the Ori, which is good.

He still has to fight him in the end but they devise a plan to fake Cam's death and to let him go home.

Interesting sidenote: I own a replica Sodan staff weapon, made from the moulds of the actual fighting props.

How would you rate SG-1's "Babylon"?

Excellent

Good
              Fair
              Poor
              Terrible

And by the way, I love Cameron Mitchell. Yes, there's quite a bit of Crichton in him but I couldn't care less.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It is a nice episode, but it should have been the 9x09 to make a logical episode order.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

3-episode quiz: Ex Deus Machina, Babylon & Prototype

Jigsaw puzzle: Babylon

Comment

Back to normal 11:03
                    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                      Back to normal 11:03
                      HD behind-the-scenes image means a higher pieces count.

Nevertheless, well done.

Comment

I have to say I really enjoyed this image. I chose well.

06:47

Comment

Why was the episode called "Babylon"? It always reminds me to Babylon 5. The Goa'uld Ishkur has got a nice mythological background and it is the same Sumerian / Akkadian culture :
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadad
                          https://www.britannica.com/topic/Ishkur
                          It would have been nice to connect the Sodan people to the Marduk-Tiamat story or even to Nem/Omoroca as Daniel has mentioned the named Babylon in season 1's Fire and Water. Sorry guys, I always try to connect different lore elements in my mind. My bad.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I believe everything Tony Todd touches is gold. This episode is no different. On the surface, it feels like another Jaffa honor story. But I think it goes deeper than that. I'm addition to showing us a different group of Jaffa, it also allows an exploration of a new character. It also exists as setup for the mid-season finale. I call it good with 7:48. Laugh it up FH
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                            X