Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Babylon (908)

Stargate: Horizon Staff Writer SierraGulf1's Avatar

Default Re: Babylon (908)

Time for my critique of Babylon:

SierraGulf1's Episode Evaluation of "9.08: Babylon"

I'll start by saying that while it wasn't a great episode, it was not horrid as some people say it was. I enjoyed seeing some action from Mitchell and while a tad on the boring side, I didn't find it hard to watch. I was kind of saddened that we haven't really seen the team work together yet, though I'm crossing my fingers for The Fourth Horseman, since it is a big episode that will requrie the team. Unfortunately, looks like they're separated in that one too, though.

The Prior didn't get to do much except stand around and look freakish, but we'll be seeing him later on.

I'm not really seeing the team care for each other. Earlier on on Stargate they felt unified, which is why I'd come to love the show. They just seem too apart. No Sam in episodes 1-5, and Teal'c and Mitchell were also shoved into the background. Beachhead had them working togetherish, but not really communicating. Ex Deus had them split up, and so did Babylon. Prototype is looking the same way. While I'm liking each episode as a story, and I'm liking all of the characters, I'm not seeing these characters interact any longer. Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel have had time to develop, as did Landry, and tonight Mitchell, but I'm not seeing them interact. Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c have been through a lot, where's the love? By the way, I'm just stating this now, nothing against this episode in paticular.

That's my only beef with season nine. As I said, the episodes as episodes are great. Speaking of characters, my usual character evaluation:

Mitchell finally got some character development, which I like. I think it may be a bit to early to be speaking lightly of Teal'c to his face, but I think Teal'c can bear with it. I like that he's determined to fight despite the fact that all seems lost, which is a character trait that is emphasized a lot with Mitchell. He seems insightful and sometimes more "deep" than he lets on when he's with SG-1. I kind of liked him in this episode.

Carter... Did Amanda Tapping get lost? We missed her enough in the first five.

Daniel still seems bitter over missing his ride to Atlantis. Ever since Beachhead Daniel has seemed a bit off to me. I'm hoping next week he'll be more Daniel. I'm hoping next week the team will be more of a team, too. Blargh.

Teal'c was noble and good, not much changed with him. I liked him, but there's just not much to say about him this time.

Landry is like Teal'c. Didn't hate him in this ep or anything, there just wasn't much Landry to see.

I like the Sodan plotline. I hope (and know due to spoilers) that we'll see more of them, I just hope the episode is a little more exciting.

I understand this review seemed a little negative, but that one minor detail has been off this season so far and I had to get that out. I still like the show and I'm hyped for next week's back-to-back, especially The Fourth Horseman.

I'm afraid Atlantis was a tad bit more exciting tonight, though, so here's how the episodes stand in my mind, best to worst (keep in mind I liked them all):

Avalon Part 2
    The Powers That Be
    Beachhead
    Origin
    Babylon
    Avalon Part 1
    Deus Ex Machina
    The Ties That Bind

Cheers.

Earth Symbol Re: Babylon (908)

Other than possibly "Beachhead," this is my favorite episode of Season 9. I really don't know why I like it, I just know that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad we got to know Mitchell a little better, and I enjoyed the Sodan storyline.

Chief Master Sergeant

That episode was..okay. It's good to see a *real* return to Stargate roots as far as episode style, and it's good to see Mitchell get an actual major part in an episode since the premeire. But....it didn't really seem like character development so much. We know so little except Mitchell except he's a regular guy with extraordinary willpower (Like 75% of male lead characters in scifi).

And that guy being the brother was extremely predictable. The whole thing was awfully predictable actually...replace 'Ori' with 'Gu'ald' and you've got five or six earlier Stargate episodes.

I'd still like to see the playing field evened up a bit more between the Ori and earth.

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh
    Sci-fi channel goofed. It's not the season finale. It's the season hiatus.

I kinda liked the episode. A little "The Warrior"-esque. I liked the rapport the Jaffa and Mitchel had going on toward the end.

Who was thinking this when the Jaffa guy came forward to say he seeks retribution for the slain Jaffa was his kin? "Gee, didn't see that coming!"
    This episode was so-so, not great or awful just ok.
    I liked the banter at the beginning, Mitchell imitation, Teal'c rolls his eyes and Daniel's comment 'need more bass'. and Walter's line at the end.
    I'm hoping for more an actual team Episode in the future though.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; September 9th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.

I liked this episode, because it was an introduction to the "Fourth Horseman." Mitchell, had much to do, and to learn, in the attempt to achieve his goal, of making the Sodan see that the Ori are not gods. This was meant to introduce the Prior, that will face off against Orlin, an Ancient.

We learned of Ancient personal cloaking devices, transportation systems unlike ring transporters, capable of transporting people across a distance, that would take months to travel on foot. All in all, this episode gave an idea of what the rest of the season might have in store. The Ancient transport system looked a little like Thor's Hammer, that was extremely interesting.

Nice, cosy, has a fireplace and lots of books.

I really enjoyed this episode.

I have never been interested too much in the Jaffa Council... except for Gerak because he is a bit - crazy... but the Sodan are very interesting. I look forward to new storylines with them.

Tony Todd did a great job as a leader.

I enjoyed the Teal'c-arc and Mitchell-arc in this episode.

I was happy to see Daniel not doing much. We saw alot of him in Avalon to The Powers That Be. It's nice to see him being out of the major picture.

I was also happy to see Carter not doing too much. We saw a huge dose of her in Beachhead and Ex Deus Machina.

Given this is only the beginning of the Season (as last year's 8th ep was Covenant... not exactly an 'eventful' episode ), I await some real action in the mid-season break and near the end of the season.

I liked this episode better than the SGA ep that followed. Am I the only one who kept thinking "Candyman, Candyman, Candyman"???

Earth Symbol Re: Babylon (908)

lord-anubis i fell kind of alone i liked this ep nothing impront happened i guess but i still found it insething
    That makes 2 of us.

Sure, it didn't live up to fight scenes such as in The Warrior or Sam's hand to hand in Emancipation, but I give it an ok. A little too Trekish an ending, but hey.

And what happens to the brother who faked his death now that his own brother returns from SGC? I didn't hear him promise to, well, anything; keep mumm on his brother's deceit (Cain and Abel, anyone)? And won't he need tretonin? Two handsome kinsmen. And what IS it with jaffa leaders? Are they all pigheaded and/or power hungry, yet so ready to bow to yet another set of beings with "a bag of magic tricks?" as Mitchell said. Too bad. An interesting glimpse of a goa'uld free culture that still seems to want gods to follow. Hope we get a better peep at them again.

Chiefly so Carter can do her thing and figure out the personal invisibility gizmo. Dr. Lee seems quite brilliantly useless in the figuring out department. Has he ever really?

Over all, a fair ep. Curiously unoriginal combination of plots, but anything that gives more layers to Mitch has got to help down the road. He's no giver-upper, manages to communicate ideas (and apparently good will) and has his own pain style (a nod to the RDA Virtual Partyers). Leadership, well, it's coming. But he also seemed to be speaking through clenched teeth or jaws; was that on purpose since he'd been trounced several times? I hope so, so that we can listen to him without struggling next time.

Oh, and ex-X-files guy, he does spooky so well. He'll be back.

Teal'c looked good, but the interrogation as mentioned above, was a effective as his interrogation of the captured Anubis drone. Daniel looked good, too. Sam looked good. Caroline looked good. Ok, good looking ep.

And good ol' Gerak must be giving up other Jaffa worlds to the Ori, ya think?

Just sayin'.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!

Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

I seem to follow the general concensus. I liked the ep but it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. I liked the Mitchell stuff but I'd like to finally see the team work together as a TEAM at some point. A fairly average ep.
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

I enjoyed the episode and the introduction of the Sodan.

Default Re: Well that episode was uneventful

So...wait...these Jaffa learned how to BUILD Ancient technology. Thousands of years ago.... and still lived in huts...Err..... I find this immensly implausible. In order to build such incredibly advanced technology, you'd need a great deal of stuff that they just didn't have! Unless the Ancients had Replicators (a la Star Trek) and they just pushed a few buttons.

Also, you think Mitchell would have tried pointing out how the Ori and the Ancients are basically enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    Also, you think Mitchell would have tried pointing out how the Ori and the Ancients are basically enemies.
    I believe in his own way, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by greytop
    I believe in his own way, he did.
    You think he would have been a little more specific. I mean, There has to be a passage about the 'evil Alterans' in the book of Origin. They could have just looked it up. Don't you think a few people would have been upset when they realized that they just started worshipping the enemies of their gods?

In any case, to my post above, I think the replication thing may not be as far fetched as I originally thought. The asgard can do it....

I enjoyed the SGA episode much more, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see a team with a foundation and purpose that lends itself to the show.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

While I may not be among the majority, I thought this was a pretty good episode. Mitchell finally really got involved, getting some serious action. I mean, come on, groundbreaking events aren't supposed to happen every damn week. Little things build upon each other to form something big. The introduction of the Sodan may be one of those "little things". Some of you I think are expecting way too much. And even if you got it, others would find something to complain about. This season is far from over, and I just hope by its end, all of us, well, most of us anyway (some can never be pleased), will have seen enough things we like.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Nice, cosy, has a fireplace and lots of books.

Could Mitchell have been more specific about the Ori & Ancients being enemies?

The Sodan have been solitary for about 5 thousand years. Choice or not: They are solitary. You can't expect them to act civil to outsiders (such as Mitchell).

By being more... blunt... could result in an execution.... which almost happened. After all, their leader is a devout believer in the Ori...

Needless to say, he needed to gain some respect from the Sodan before finally being more 'blunt', which he accomplished in the end.

Lieutenant Colonel TheGreatLordGeorge's Avatar
    A little planet in a remote region of the galaxy

Stargate Re: Babylon (908)

not my favorite episode but i liked it , the sodan storyline has potential . i also like how they had a shorter more rugged version of a staff weapon with a convienent(SP) strap. great character build up for cam

Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    So...wait...these Jaffa learned how to BUILD Ancient technology. Thousands of years ago.... and still lived in huts...Err..... I find this immensly implausible. In order to build such incredibly advanced technology, you'd need a great deal of stuff that they just didn't have! Unless the Ancients had Replicators (a la Star Trek) and they just pushed a few buttons.
    They could've believed in that whole balance between nature and technology thing. Maybe one of those huts contains all the technological gadgetry they'd need to build Ancient stuff.
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

Thumbs up Re: Babylon (908)

Yay!!! I actually LIKED this episode. Finally, finally, FINALLY, we have an ep in which there is actual character development, and Teal'c gets to say more than "Indeed." Now don't get me wrong, there are nitpicks (not enough for Sam & Daniel to do), but after all those weeks of the Daniel-and-Vala show, MS can afford to have a light week or two, and AT is still easing back to work, post-baby. I realize the four of them didn't have much screen time together, but at least they weren't split up and working on separate assignments. Anyway, here's the rundown:

- team went offworld - check
    - met a new race - check
    - character development (Mitchell) - check
    - tying it in w/ the larger storyline of the Ori - check
    - new technology we can possibly "borrow" in the future - check

I like how they referenced the "new" mindset in this country: the concerns about funding, and the cost of trying to find Mitchell. I also liked the hand-to-hand combat... it's nice to see something other than staff weapons & P-90s for a change.

I did think it was a bit cheesy when SG-1 was under fire at the beginning... it looked like the aggressors (Sodan) were purposely missing SG-1, as hardly any of their staff blasts came anywhere near the team. Also, did I hear right, and Sam used her walkie-talkie thing and called "Cameron"??? Talk about a breach in military protocol. She shouldn't even call him "Mitchell," but instead either Colonel or Sir. Also (last one, I promise)... if Teal'c called somebody "brother" one more time, I was going to throw something at him. I realize he was trying to establish the fact that he and the Sodan guy are really on the same side, but still... he said it at least three times, probably four.

These nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed this ep. My son & I looked at each other when it ended and said, "THAT was a good episode."

Way to go writers, you're on the right track!!! (finally)

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
    great character build up for cam
    I totally agree. It was nice to see BB relaxing into the character a bit more now. Really gives me hope for him the rest of this season.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast