This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.A.S.H. and King of the Hill Connection

I seem to notice a conection with walter(sg1) and Radar(mash) Radars real name is walter and in Avalon pt 1, Walter answers Landry's question before he asked, much like Radar would do (in the early seasons). They also look kind of alike. Then for the king of the hill connection. Hank Landry. Hank=Hank Hill Landry=Tom "Landry" Middle School where bobby goes to school, and he beau Bridges kinda looks like Hank Hill. What do you all think.

You are a geek, aren't you.
    This makes me think of in 'Lost City', when Jack's talking about Mr. Burn's being like a goa'uld.

Comment

Hey I resemble that remark, I mean, I resent that remark.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferyb
        I seem to notice a conection with walter(sg1) and Radar(mash) Radars real name is walter and in Avalon pt 1, Walter answers Landry's question before he asked, much like Radar would do (in the early seasons). They also look kind of alike. Then for the king of the hill connection. Hank Landry. Hank=Hank Hill Landry=Tom "Landry" Middle School where bobby goes to school, and he beau Bridges kinda looks like Hank Hill. What do you all think.
        I don't think there is any coinicidence that Walter (SG1) look's like or is named Walter like Radar O'Reilly (M.A.S.H.). Radar was a fanatstic character and wildly popular, so for the writers to capaitilize on that is a stroke of genius. It has actually crossed my mind in past that Walter (SG1) was written to remind us of Radar.

As far as the Hank Hill/Hank Landry connection, that might be strecthing it some.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

M*A*S*H was a great show, and for Stargate to take some of its quirky ideas, I don't think it makes a difference. If it worked for one show, then it can work for another show! I like the quirkiness of Radar and Walter, I think they are neat characters to have around.

For the King of the Hill connection, I don't think there is anything there to connect. I think its just coniendence.
          Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

I was a big fan of M*A*S*H when it was on and the instant Landry made that psychic comment I thought of Radar. I hope they don't try to make Walter a Radar redo though. I would rather they keep Walter unique. I doubt they initially intended for the similarities and sought out a Radar lookalike. The "connections" to other shows is cute, to a point, until it becomes a constant. Then it's just boring.

Comment

It kinda happened in Season 8's Zero Hour with Walter and Jack too so it isn't just limited to Walter & Landry

Comment

Name: Walter Eugene "Radar" O'Reilly
                Hometown: Ottumwa, Iowa
                Played by: Gary Burghoff.
                Trivia: Only actor to have played the same character in both the M*A*S*H movie and TV series.

I think you'll find that Chief Master Sgt. Walter Harriman (played by Gary Jones) is what they call an homage...
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                  I think you'll find that Chief Master Sgt. Walter Harriman (played by Gary Jones) is what they call an homage...
                  Why? Why does this show do this with so many things? Why can't Walter just be Walter? A guy who is so dang good at his job that he's always 5 steps ahead of everyone.

Comment

I seem to recall an interview or something where Gary Jones said that he hoped his character would evolve . . . and he mentioned Radar . . . anyone have an idea what I'm talking about?

~Sarah

(M*A*S*H ROCKS!)
                    Call me Sarah . . .
                    • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
                    • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
                    • Trek forever!

Comment

Theres a thread about this somewhere but I cant find it
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

There's definately a connection. I remember reading that before "2010" (when they mention his name for the first time) that he was credited with a different name in a different ep but as Brutak said, they made his name Walter as an homage. On a sidenote, i loved that bit in Zero Hour!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir
                          Why? Why does this show do this with so many things? Why can't Walter just be Walter? A guy who is so dang good at his job that he's always 5 steps ahead of everyone.

Paying homage whether directly or indirectly to a great character like Radar O'Reilly is all aces in my book!!!. Walter should be so lucky as to be compared to Radar. I like it's a HUGE compliment and as I stated in a previous post on this thread, it's no mistake that Walters (SG!) character has similarities to Radar!.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            Paying homage whether directly or indirectly to a great character like Radar O'Reilly is all aces in my book!!!. Walter should be so lucky as to be compared to Radar. I like it's a HUGE compliment and as I stated in a previous post on this thread, it's no mistake that Walters (SG!) character has similarities to Radar!.
                            Okay, fine. I loved Radar too. But what I'm saying is enough already. Every little thing in the show is in honor of something here or another thing there. Too much of that and I start forgetting that I'm watching Stargate. It stops being an homage and becomes a distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferyb
                              I've only watched a few episodes of mash (but that was a few years ago) so I can't agree of diagree with you. And Beau Bridges does kinda look like Hank Hill.

Yay 400 posts!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X