Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant iheartcam's Avatar

Default Re: Chain Reaction (415)

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    Any episode with that lovable rogue Maybourne is a good one for me. The interaction between him and Jack is always fun to watch.

I guess Jack will step into that shade of grey area when things that matter to him are threatened. Selling his soul to the devil is an apt phrase here, guess he still can't believe he worked with Maybourne, but they did help eachother. Maybourne seems to have a conscience buried deep somewhere. I think this is what made their interaction so much fun, Jack had to do more distasteful things, Maybourne actually began to think about doing the right thing and they sort of met in the middle.
    I agree completely! The exchanges between Jack and Maybourne are always entertaining. I also like how, even though they don't always have the same methods, they can have the same goals and can work together to achieve those goals. I like the way you've phrased it....they end up meeting in the middle!

Ah the first of many Jack and Maybourne "Starksy and Hutch" teamups. These are usually good episodes as I think the two actors works well off another. They are different but they have a lot of simliarities seeing the two have to cooperate is some interesting dynamic. Its just interesting to see them work together as they do some crazy things in the pursuit of the rogue NID. I especially like exposing Kinsey for the snake in grass we always thought he was. Ronny Cox always played villians well which is strange considering I hear he is one of the nicest person in reality.

The SGC story with the rest of SG1 is interesting if not convient that it relates to the NID. I remember thinking how deep this organization must run to be able to make sure one of their guys is placed as head of the SGC. Bauer is nothing more than a yes man for the NID and shows how disatarous they can be without restriants. Kind of predictible thought that the 38 minute window saved them.

Funny moments goes when Jack tells Hammond tells him to pray for his soul. Touching moment goes we Hammond say he retired to protect his family. Most can relate to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Chief Master Sergeant

Maybourne is a bad guy :@
    Good episode tho.

I didn't know Jack Bauer's uncle served in the Air Force. But he was a great laugh for one episode. Hammy in civilian clothing, something you rarely see in the entire series. You could see that he gained a few kiloes while he was home. *lol*

Brigadier General

what did jack mean by white meat or dark meat when he was threatening kinsey?

Major

Turkey. Chest and wings are white meat, back and thighs are dark meat. Did Kinsey want to be shot in white meat (arm) or dark meat (leg).

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

not a bad ep. Love "have you heard of IKEA" and the "beer and mustard diet" "pointing not waving"
    Maybourne eps are always my favourites, and I loved his "quid pro quo" Hannibal Lecter moment. and that ending - could only have been better if Maybourne had said that he was having an old friend for dinner.

Kinsey made a great speech (about how stupid the electorate are) - but I didn't like how they made General Bauer out to be a stupid idiot. You don't get to be a general by being stupid. The ep also shows a lot of civvy misconcepttions of how the military works but I've been over all this before before so I won't inflict it on you all again
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Starsky & Hutch to the rescue!

Maybourne's back.

Bauer being a total wise-ass and arrogant bastard. He got what was coming to him, although an entire planet had to be sacrificed for it. If only he had been truthful and allowed those simulations.

I think this is also the first episode in which we see Siler's genourmous wrench.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

30-40 minutes of downtime of Stargate Command wasn't such a heavy price to pay for an attempt to destroy an entire planet. They General Bauer had little reason to be "sorry" or resign in the end. The gate room wasn't even damaged, nobody was shown to perish in the incident. Bauer was aware that he was building a weapon, and the weapon was effective. They just didn't need to keep the gate open during detonation.

Sure I hated the man. But his appearance was wrapped up too quickly.

Major

You seem to be expecting this show to accurately reflect how the military actually works.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    You seem to be expecting this show to accurately reflect how the military actually works.
    It doesn't? Wait, are you saying the stargate isn't real?!?
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Major

Not at all. Just that the military at the SGC behave ... differently.

Seaboe

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Not at all. Just that the military at the SGC behave ... differently.
    Who needs rules anyway... ... they are more like guidelines than actual rules anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I think this is also the first episode in which we see Siler's genourmous wrench.
    It was shown in Scorched Earth. While Hammond and Carter are walking up the stairs to the briefing room, you see Siler and an airman (who I believe was played by Martin Wood) holding and discussing The Wrench.

I didn't see it in this episode though? Gonna have to go back and check. Maybe when they were preparing the bomb.

Staff Sergeant

Very good episode. But it also shows perfectly well, why I could never really relate to Carter. She is too much military. As a scientist it would have been her duty to disobey. She simply lacks a decent backbone.
    There is no point in "knowing it better", if you are to afraid to use that knowledge when it counts. It really sums up to: "Well, I destroyed the world, but I am not responsible, because I was ordered do so". That would also make her a perfect war criminal. Some behaviour as in "Scorched Earth", just on a bigger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by enibas5 View Post
    Very good episode. But it also shows perfectly well, why I could never really relate to Carter. She is too much military. As a scientist it would have been her duty to disobey. She simply lacks a decent backbone.
    There is no point in "knowing it better", if you are to afraid to use that knowledge when it counts. It really sums up to: "Well, I destroyed the world, but I am not responsible, because I was ordered do so". That would also make her a perfect war criminal. Some behaviour as in "Scorched Earth", just on a bigger scale.
    Mmm... never looked at Carter that way. Interesting way of putting it.

Mind you, I never really took to Carter in the first place, though I couldn't for the life me say why.

Staff Sergeant

Maybe this is also a little bit about me being German. We have grown to become very sensitive about the "i was just following orders" issue - for a very good reason. And being a cop myself, I know that at least German regulations explicitly offer the individual gaps to avoid following orders that completely contradict one owns conscience and knowledge.

I actually believe that those also exist within the US Law and military. This ep. very much reminded me of the tragic accident regarding one of the NASA space missions when one rocket blew up. It was either the one that exploded at start up or the one that blew up while entering earth atomsphere at return. Anyway, I watched a documentary about that. It turned out, that the engineers of the company that constructed some shield devices tried everything to avoid the start of the rocket in the first place. Temperatures had dropped too low, so that according to their simulations the heat shields would loose attachment. Unfortunately their superior did not stand the pressure of the NASA responsibilities who somehow threatend the company to be responsible if there would be another costly delay of the start. Because it was postponed once already.
    Finally the company gave the green light regarding the mission, disregarding any protest of the involved engineers.
    As it turned out, it was exactly one of those shields that lost contact on start up and caused major damage by digging itself into some essential part of the rocket.
    Of course, the NASA put all that pressure on the company to agree to the start up because of financial reasons. The responsible NASA personell was fired after the accident that caused the death of several astronauts. The involved engineers of the construction company left the company and have a hard time to go on with their lives. But they at least tried everything possible to prevent the accident from happening.

Ok, sorry for that excursion. But it is not off-topic, but IMHO exactly what the ep. should be about. Unfortunately the writers did not take up on that. One single line on Carters part would have been enough to give that ep. a way deeper and ethical background. Just have her say something like "I should have risked court martial in the first place".

Interesting point. We do see that she is unhappy about it. Maybe she thought she could still have some influence over ultimately using it whereas others wouldn't have even tried. But in the end, you're right. She didn't resign or anything.
    This could have been a more complex plot point. But not in 44 minutes with everything else that was in the episode.

Staff Sergeant

Oh, I don't really think, that it would have taken much to do the twist. I think, giving her 1 oder 2 lines, showing that she is not only angry with the General but also with herself would have done the trick.

Disobeying a command of that kind leads to being court-martialed - doesn't it?
    Bauer is disgusting, Maybourne and O'Neill just like Butch and Sundance - hope, no Bolivian army will come one day.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast