Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come the Canadians didnt know of the STARGATE, even thought 100's of canadians wo

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come the Canadians didnt know of the STARGATE, even thought 100's of canadians wo

My question is that how did the producers and writers get around the fact that 100's of canadian military and civilian personel work at cheynne mountain. Its the head of NORAD. Did stargate people forget that fact, and went oopps our bad. But how do they explain, that the canadians were the last to be told about the stargate. Dont you think 100's of patriotic canadians would have spilled the beans. And please no excuses about the stargate being at the bottom of cheynee, because their were tons of alien incursions that aliens took over the base, used alien weopens, and all of those times tokra went around the base.

Say what?

The government has a confidentiality contract with its workers. If they spill the beans, they're gone. Its a matter of national security. And who is gonna believe them anyways?

Comment

... They are sworen to secrecy... you do know that, right?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Why do you assume candians didnt know? Mckay knew and he's canadian.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
          My question is that how did the producers and writers get around the fact that 100's of canadian military and civilian personel work at cheynne mountain. Its the head of NORAD. Did stargate people forget that fact, and went oopps our bad. But how do they explain, that the canadians were the last to be told about the stargate. Dont you think 100's of patriotic canadians would have spilled the beans. And please no excuses about the stargate being at the bottom of cheynee, because their were tons of alien incursions that aliens took over the base, used alien weopens, and all of those times tokra went around the base.
          Cheyenne Mountain is a massive complex, and the SGC occupies only the lower levels of it. Levels which are closed off to all nonessential personnel, including regular NORAD types working upstairs.

Though they did probably have to wonder about all the unexpected lockdowns and sudden panics coming from the basement.

a time to mourn

Comment

The Canadian government knows about the stargate program anyway, who would the Canadians spill the beans to?

Comment

I think Mahram means in the beginning before the program was revealed to Canada?
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                Cheyenne Mountain is a massive complex, and the SGC occupies only the lower levels of it. Levels which are closed off to all nonessential personnel, including regular NORAD types working upstairs.

Though they did probably have to wonder about all the unexpected lockdowns and sudden panics coming from the basement.

being a joint operation (norad), i would imagine they would have to know. i dont believe that they (canadians) were one of the nations being told in the ep. DISCLOSURE. so i would assume that they knew once they started up teams.

Comment

yeah thats what I mean, and no under their secreacy clause the canadian soldiers on the base report to their base cammander but the base cammander reports both to the president and the prime minister of canada. However those canadians soldiers made an outh to protect canada right...and dont you think keeping that secreat would be a betrayal to their outh.

Comment

well we had a canadian documentary about norad. Its always a canadian leader at norad one year and a second in cammand american, then it flip flops, so the second in cammand would be a canadian then american. I just find it funny that they mention nothing about the huge canadian contingent.

Comment

woah thats a slap in the face to canadians. Canadians make up a massive contingent in norad and makes up some of the most important personnel and positions.

NORAD
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background

The North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) is a binational military organization formally established in 1958 by Canada and the United States to monitor and defend North American airspace. NORAD monitors and tracks man-made objects in space and detects, validates and warns of attack against North America by aircraft, missiles or space vehicles. NORAD also provides surveillance and control of the airspace of Canada and the United States.

The NORAD Agreement was first signed by the governments of Canada and the United States on May 12, 1958, and has been renewed for varying periods since that time. Although there have been eight NORAD renewals since 1958, the basic text of the Agreement has been revised substantially only three times -- in 1975, 1981 and 1996.

The Commander-in-Chief of NORAD is appointed by, and is responsible to, both the Prime Minister of Canada and the President of the United States. Headquarters NORAD is located at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colorado. NORAD command and control is exercised through the Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center, located a short distance away. Cheyenne Mountain serves as a central collection and coordination facility for a worldwide system of sensors designed to provide NORAD with an accurate picture of any aerospace threat.

Operations

NORAD uses a network of ground-based radars, sensors and fighter jets to detect, intercept and, if necessary, engage any threats to the continent. These fighters consist of Canadian CF-18s and U.S. F-15s and F-16s. NORAD also receives surveillance data from the U.S. Space Command on potential threats from outer space.

Canadian NORAD Region

NORAD's surveillance and control responsibility for North American airspace is divided among three NORAD Regions -- one in Canada, one in the continental United States and one in Alaska. Data from radars and sensors based in Canada are compiled and analyzed at an underground complex located at Canadian Forces Base North Bay, Ontario, then forwarded to Canadian NORAD Region Headquarters at CFB Winnipeg, and the NORAD command and control centre in Colorado, as necessary.

North Warning System

The North Warning System (NWS) provides surveillance of potential attack routes via Arctic airspace. The NWS consists of 15 long-range radars (11 in Canada, four in Alaska) and 39 short-range radars (36 in Canada, three in Alaska) along the northern edge of North America. The state-of-the-art radars form a 4,800-Km-long and 320 Km-wide "tripwire" stretching from Alaska to Newfoundland.

E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS)

Airborne radar coverage is provided by the E-3 AWACS aircraft when necessary. Canada contributes military personnel to AWACS operations. The United States Air Force AWACS provides a significant improvement over ground-based radar stations, and extends the perimeter radar system in times of increased alert. AWACS aircraft can detect targets from about 580 Kms, then guide Canadian or U.S. aircraft to visually identify unknown aircraft.

Two Canadian bases provide designated support to AWACS operations when required: CFB Cold Lake, Alberta, and CFB Bagotville, Quebec.

Air Defence

1 Canadian Air Division is the military organization responsible for providing combat-ready air forces to meet Canada's commitments to the defence of North America and to maintain the sovereignty of Canadian airspace.

Canadian air defence forces assigned to NORAD include 441 and 416 Tactical Fighter Squadrons at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta, and 425 and 433 Tactical Fighter Squadrons at CFB Bagotville, Quebec. All four squadrons fly the CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft.

Counter Drug Mission

Since 1991, NORAD has assisted in the detection and monitoring of aircraft suspected of illegal drug trafficking. In cooperation with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and U.S. drug law enforcement agencies, the Canadian NORAD Region monitors all air traffic approaching the coast of Canada. Any aircraft that has not filed a flight plan may be directed to land and be inspected by the RCMP and Customs Canada.

Canadians Assigned To U.S. Bases

There are currently 283 Canadian personnel based at various locations in the U.S. However, the actual number of Canadians assigned to designated NORAD positions constantly changes to reflect the current needs of Canadian defence policies.

On Alert

NORAD has served the citizens of Canada and the United States as the first line of defence against an air attack on their homelands since 1958. NORAD has also acted as a clear deterrent to any aggressor through its space warning capabilities. Through outstanding cooperation and cohesiveness, NORAD has proven itself effective in its roles of watching, warning and responding. By adapting to the changing world, NORAD will continue to play an important role in the defence of Canada and the United States.

This website is maintained by
                      Assistant Deputy Minister (Public Affairs) / ADM (PA)
                      Publication Date: 2005-06-07 Important Notices

Comment

wow what a mouthful
                        I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

lol but it makes my point the cammander of norad *cheynne mountain* is under the cammands of prime minister of canada and the president of the united states. But how come there were never canadians on the show. Abeit that mckay, but he was later said tobe canadian. I know this is a tv show, but come on its like showing a chinatown without the chinese or getting rid of the statue of liberty in new york. Personally its insulting to the canadian soldiers who work at cheynne. People just think its a US operation.

Originally posted by sandyer
                          wow what a mouthful

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
                            lol but it makes my point the cammander of norad *cheynne mountain* is under the cammands of prime minister of canada and the president of the united states. But how come there were never canadians on the show. Abeit that mckay, but he was later said tobe canadian. I know this is a tv show, but come on its like showing a chinatown without the chinese or getting rid of the statue of liberty in new york. Personally its insulting to the canadian soldiers who work at cheynne. People just think its a US operation.
                            Some of the Stargate personel may have been Canadian. We dont know. They dont wear country flags at SGC just the Tauri symbol on the uniforms. Its not like you can just see someone and say "look theres a canadian.... look theirs an american" we all look the same. Maybe we can tell via accent? Well since most of the actors are canadian then if we go by accent we probably have more canadians at the SGC then americans. Since canada has never been mentioned in anyway on the show except to say Mckay is canadian I dont think we have enough information to say one way or the other. Perhaps the canadians have been involved the whole time and that is why Simons had no issue recruiting a canadian sceintist.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think it was a last minute decision by writers to make mckay a canadian. This brings up whole lots of questions, if canada was made aware of the gould threat since the beginning how come they werent given a direct line to the SGC. Cheynne mountain is a NORAD installation. It would be in direct violation of NORAD treaty for them not to inform canada. How come general hammond never contacted the prime mininster of canada for authorization.And wouldnt stargate techincally be property of both Canada and US in the first 5 seasons. I think when the writers first wrote stargate and its premier, they didnt think it throught and forgot some huge ommissions. But like I said it would be like writing out the chinese in chinatown or getting rid of the statue of liberty.

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              Some of the Stargate personel may have been Canadian. We dont know. They dont wear country flags at SGC just the Tauri symbol on the uniforms. Its not like you can just see someone and say "look theres a canadian.... look theirs an american" we all look the same. Maybe we can tell via accent? Well since most of the actors are canadian then if we go by accent we probably have more canadians at the SGC then americans. Since canada has never been mentioned in anyway on the show except to say Mckay is canadian I dont think we have enough information to say one way or the other. Perhaps the canadians have been involved the whole time and that is why Simons had no issue recruiting a canadian sceintist.

Comment

Working...
                              X