This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Shep/Teyla ship thread

If a similar thread for this already exists, feel free to merge it. I only looked back three pages.

This thread is for people who absolutely, under no circumstances EVER want to see Sheppard and Teyla romantically paired.

This thread is NOT for people to tell us why Shep/Teyla are perfect for each other.
    It is NOT for people to condescend/whine about how wrong we are.
    And it is definitely NOT a thread to promote the Shep/Teyla cause.

Now, while I understand that in "initial character summaries" Teyla was more or less written to be Shep's love interest, I was relieved when TPTB (apparently, temporarily) changed their minds because the idea of a ship being built in to the very backbone of the series... and one as patently ridiculous as Shep/Teyla... appalled me. And frankly, it still does.

With Shep and Teyla, I don't even see that much and I deeply resent the idea of the "hero" being shipped with the "sexy alien chick" for no more reason than that they're the hero and the sexy alien chick.

The problem I have with a lot of the ships on Stargate is that the pairings are the obvious choices, they're ALWAYS the main characters, and no actual thought seems to go into developing any concrete reasons for the characters to feel romantically drawn towards one another. All the "moments" seem fabricated and tossed in haphazardly. I feel no bond between Shep and Teyla, I see no chemistry of ANY kind (not even of the platonic sort) between them, and from what I've seen thus far of their interactions, I cannot imagine what they could possibly see in one another. Both being leaders doesn't cut it for me, nor does the whole "they're a man and a woman working closely together in life-or-death scenarios" hooey that people always use as some kind of incontrovertible justification of their chosen pairing.

Does it happen sometimes? Hell yeah, of course it does! But it doesn't ALWAYS happen and it isn't NECESSARY for it to happen in order for the story to be "realistic". At least not in my opinion.

I, for one, would prefer that the relationship between Shep and Teyla never evolve beyond being teammates and possible "friends". That is more than enough for me.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 04 April 2006, 04:25 AM.

Heh. I considered starting a thread like this last week, but figured my own ship leanings might make me seemed biased.

I would like to point out that the same kind of fraternization regulations that kept Jack and Sam apart on SG-1 apply to Sheppard and Teyla for as long as she is on his team. Civilians working directly under a military officer are off limits for strong personal relationships.

Now, a civilian over a military officer occurs so rarely in the real world that I have been unable to find any regulations on the issue.

a time to mourn

Comment

An amen to ShadowMaat's post. I like Shep and Teyla as seperate characters but I am entirely against any kind of ship for these two other then friendship. In Rising, their pairing seemed force and way too obvious. It's the only thing that I didn't like in the pilot.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
      Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

Here here!

The chemistry isn't there between those two. There's also an age difference. It's just not a good ship, and I hope that it doesn't show up in the future.

Comment

I started watching SGA with the knowledge, that Teyla and John will have a strong chemistry with each other (it was in the newspapers/magazines here in Switzerland/Germany), but watching it, I really couldn't find any chemistry between these two, maybe a hint of brother-sister bount but nothing more!
          For me, Teyla has a better chemistry with Ronon and John with Liz that's the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
            I started watching SGA with the knowledge, that Teyla and John will have a strong chemistry with each other (it was in the newspapers/magazines here in Switzerland/Germany), but watching it, I really couldn't find any chemistry between these two, maybe a hint of brother-sister bount but nothing more!
            For me, Teyla has a better chemistry with Ronon and John with Liz that's the way to go
            Im thinking she is like his 2IC so a relationship between them would have the same problems as the Sam\Jack relationship. Practically not technically.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I don't honestly see how a relationship with these two could possibly work especially since
              Spoiler:
              Teyla is keeping a huge ass secret about Ronon killing someone. Sooner or later it's going to get out and all hell is going to break loose. That sense of trust or whatever they had is gone.
              Trust seems to be an important issue with John that he doesn't take lightly at least that was my interpretation of Trinity.

I think relationships between main characters are always disastrous. If this show has to go the loveboat route then I would prefer if a main character had a romance with a secondary character and not bring it to the forefront of the show.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
              Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

AMEN
                I Love you ShadowMaat

Weir/Shep would be understandable, and ok in my book, but Teyla/Shep don't even get me started

Comment

Well, if the TPTB are trying to develop a Shep/Teyla romance, they're doing a lacklustre job. Apart from Rising and Sanctuary, they barely interact on a personal level. In fact, I saw more personal interaction between Teyla and Ford, and Ford and Sheppard than I ever saw between Shep and Teyla. Sorry but IMO, sparring with sticks hardly constitutes UST.

The root of the problem for me, however, is the development (or the lack) of Teyla as a standout character. It's hard to get excited about any ship if either half of the pairing is a cardboard figure. For me, it's not enough to be told that two people like each other... I want to see it with my own eyes and I want to know why. And I'm not going to know why if I don't know anything fundamental about the character... or what drives them.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well I'm trying to avoid shipping for anybody on Atlantis but I have to say that I've seen more development of Teyla's character in the few episodes of interaction that she's had with Dex than in the entire first season. He actually brings out some livlieness to her whereas before she was like stoic warrior woman. I really don't see any chemistry between Shep and Teyla other than friendship and half the time I'm not even sure that I see that.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I've been seeing remarks lately from "sheyla" shippers about their fears that TPTB might be going against their original plans on a Shep/Teyla relationship. That begs the question: did any of TPTB ever really say that they were planning or considering a relationship between Sheppard and Teyla? All I remember seeing was media sources such as Gateworld calling Teyla a "potential love interest". Did the writers or producers say anything official, or is the whole thing assumptions and inferences on pre-premier publicity?

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        I've been seeing remarks lately from "sheyla" shippers about their fears that TPTB might be going against their original plans on a Shep/Teyla relationship. That begs the question: did any of TPTB ever really say that they were planning or considering a relationship between Sheppard and Teyla? All I remember seeing was media sources such as Gateworld calling Teyla a "potential love interest". Did the writers or producers say anything official, or is the whole thing assumptions and inferences on pre-premier publicity?
                        Not sure if this counts, but this was from the Stargate to Atlantis Special.

LUTTRELL: There is an immediate connection between Teyla and Sheppard. I don’t think Teyla is one to trust people easily but for some reason she immediately trusts Sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                          Not sure if this counts, but this was from the Stargate to Atlantis Special.
                          That, however, can be interpreted in a number of ways... *shrugs shoulders*
                          The same can be said about Ronon and Teyla...

I remembered reading GW promos about Sheppard and Teyla having "playful sexual tension" or some such thing early on in the game but as I've said before... I haven't seen anything of the kind so far...
                          I saw "the connection" in Rising... but it wasn't of a romantic nature...
                          Last edited by Easter Lily; 07 September 2005, 01:35 AM.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Hm, I don't know exactly but over here it was in 2 magazines, in the review of SGA... I mean in the 1st episode, it was obvious, that they are trying to make something in the direction of a relationship between Shep and Teyla but I think it wasn't really successfull, so in the following episodes they cancelled it (IMO!)

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              That, however, can be interpreted in a number of ways... *shrugs shoulders*
                              The same can be said about Ronon and Teyla...

I remembered reading on GW about Sheppard and Teyla having "playful sexual tension" or some such thing early on in the game but as I've said before... I haven't seen anything of the kind so far...
                              I saw "the connection" in Rising... but it wasn't of a romantic nature...
                              I know, but *shrug* most people would interpret that as romantic rather than platonic.

Comment

Working...
                              X