Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The Serpent's Venom (414)

Quote Originally Posted by mathpiglet View Post
    Not enough story and too much torture.
    When I watched this episode on its first airing I wondered why it focused on this so much. We knew Teal'c would never yield to it, so just having menacing Goa'uld approach Teal'c with pain stick would have been enough. Then followed up later with the scene of Rak'nor giving him some water later and wondering how he didn't give in. Frying the Goa'uld with the pain stick was a satisfying moment though!!!

I was impressed with Jack's flying skills, matching the ship's movement to the mines' movements. Interesting how his jet flying skills translated to an alien spaceship! As far as I recall we've never seen him fly a cargo ship before, and when would he have had the opportunity to learn since Earth didn't have access to one? Chalk it down to assuming he did and it made for a fun scene to see him fly the cargo ship.

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

A great ep. I really liked the torture scenes. Teal'c really shows us how strong he is here.

Really like Apophis' mothership. He sure does sacrifice a lot of his ha'tak to escape the mines.

My LiveJournal post

I loved this ep too. Poor Teal'c...
    Jacob's headset thingie reminded me of the thing they use on Deep Space Nine to shoot someone in another room, through walls.

And Jacob, next time you take a vacation, don't go to the SGC - something's bound to happen!
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Yeah, forgot how it was a while before Bra'tac showed up again.

I liked the episode. While it was light on story it did plant the seeds for later episodes. The stuff about the Jaffa rebellion and Rak'nor comes up later. I didn't think the torture scenes were too much. And the humor in the mine reprogramming scenes were classic! lol

This episode has a little bit of everything which is why its such a good episode. It ends Her'ur as an enemy and really answers the question of what Apophis is up. Quite interesting stuff that is obviously set up for the season finale (a great episode too). Teal'c being tortured is hardly a rare thing in SG1. In fact it happens quite often. The reason this torture works is because his interaction with Raknor. Seeing his Teal'c conviction and why he won't yield while not surprising is quite moving. I have a problem with the mine field story. Not so much with reprgramming the mine and the danger it presents but the solution troubles me. It makes no sense to how a 0 in a number system reflects the counting in reprograming the mine. The grim resolution is so bone chilling I wish it was in SG1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Chief Master Sergeant

Alright episode :- )

why didn't they just take a mine from the edge of the field and stay cloaked and out of the way?

cute conversation about the significance of zero and I had totally forgotten that scene in the lift (archaeeology.com! pushing daniel's glasses up his nose)

not bad ep
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Random note: on the back of my DVD-box it says the name of the episode is Serpent's Venom, which is what I thought it really was until the title screen says The Serpent's Venom. Odd. *shrug*

Anyway, it's an episode in which you have suck in breath every few minutes when you think they're goners when they are tinkering with the mine, and Daniel's comments about what to touch, and when to touch it. Or what not to touch.

Some fancy flying from Jacob. Jack gets to do something useful. And Teal'c has to endure a little torture on the side. That goa'uld was seting himself up for failure - I almost felt sorry for him.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Staff Sergeant

Have no idea, why the writers had to overdo the torturing so much.
    It just was not necessary to repeat that over and over again. I generally dislike the eps when Teal'c gets tortured. The sequences last always way too long and get shown too often. You don't need that as a viewer to get the idea.

It were really always the Teal'c torturing eps. that took away the chance for the show to be a good quality family show. You cannot have your Kids watching that kind of stuff over and over again within one episode.

Otherwise the ep. had good humour and interacting among the other characters. Too bad it got spoiled by that torturing crap.
    Last edited by enibas5; July 23rd, 2015 at 01:17 AM.

I doubt SG1 was ever a family show to begin with. I mean, considering the amount of nudity in the pilot, which makes half the American audience hide behind the couch.
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Staff Sergeant

Yes, but it went towards a totally different direction afterwards, stressed by the fact, that they also did a new director's cut for the pilot in 2008/2009 because the pilot stood out as completely incoherent with a rest of the series. Doing the new director's cut, all the nudity was cut out.

And maybe "Family Show" was a wrong choice of words. It is my impression that the overdone torturing just does not fit the whole concept of the show, regardless of it was to be a family show or not.

I think the torture scenes remind the audience of the true nature of people listening to their superiors without questioning - Goa'uld and Jaffa. Nice when O'Neill pulls Carter out from underneath the bomb.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

This made no sense at all - them having to keep the shuttle moving at the same speed and trajectory as the mine/bomb they brought on board. The speed and direction of the mine while it is inside the shuttle is not relative to the outside speed and movement. You can throw a ball up in a car while it's moving and it isn't effected by the outside movement. It would be the same with the mine. Not that you would toss a mine about while you're in a shuttle, but that the mine itself would have continued to move at it's own pace regardless of the position and velocity of the shuttle.

As technical as this show is, it baffles me that they didn't explain this well enough. The only way it could be possible is if one central location was used to reference and control the positions of the mines and that the propulsion was induced from a distance. If that were the case then wouldn't they have explained that, and perhaps done something from that central location instead of altering a singular mine?

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

The mines had inertial engines, meaning that gravity and acceleration (including the acceleration of a ship around them) had no effect on how they moved. Acceleration as in any change in speed or direction, not an increase in speed.

I thought Jacob/Selmak explained that well enough in the mission briefing. The mines were also programmed to move about randomly in the minefield, which is why Selmak and O'Neill had to keep pace with the mine.

I agree that the message about Teal'c not breaking under torture could have been put to the audience without showing quite so much torture.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Teal'c is a Jaffa - the audience can see his strength! There is worse on TV than that!
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Major

Just because there's worse out there doesn't mean this was needed here. I agree that there was way too much shown of the actual torture.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

It seems I never replied to this, for which I am sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by enibas5 View Post
    And maybe "Family Show" was a wrong choice of words. It is my impression that the overdone torturing just does not fit the whole concept of the show, regardless of it was to be a family show or not.
    As opposed to the violence?

I'm always amused when torture or romantic content is used to say it's not befitting a family show, when that same show shoots up the place every other episode. Is it more accepted that shooting people is simply more accepted than torture or two people (usually of the same sex) kissing each other on screen, or nudity for that matter (Americans are prudes, every other nation knows that). Perhaps the same about being prudish about nudity is true about shooting people. You are so used to your mass shootings that perhaps you've come to see it as normal life. I don't know.

But when I think of a family show, I think of shows like Black'ish, or The Big Bang Theory, or shows that deal with daily family life and highlight the issues families have. Copshows are not family shows in that regard.

**** Anyhow... back the Serpent's Venom...

It's a simple episode, and yet I really like it. I wouldn't say I love it like I do The Curse, but I really like the different interactions. We have Jacob, Daniel and Sam working on the mine -- Jack flying and hanging around for moral support. And Teal'c showing Ragnor that the Goa'uld are nothing but false gods, even if that means getting tortured to within an inch of his life. Certainly took Ragnor long enough to come to his sense, and even when he does, he doesn't seem convinced of his choice, which I like. That duality of wanting to believe in his gods and believing that what Teal'c says also to be true.

Quite pleased to see Heru'ur again, although his untimely ending is a wee bit tragic. Swan song of a System Lord. The look on his face when he realizes Apophis played him.

A simple episode, but it does have me on the edge of my seat so well done.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Serpent's Venom?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

Sidenote @ Jelgate: I promised to stick to my three episodes a week but I'm currently doing my 3D assignments and I just need the distractions every so often cause texturing is frustrating and I need to cool off every hour cause it's not my favorite thing to do. So, I might get in a few more episodes than the three. Depends on how much more frustration I'm gonna have in the next couple of hours.

Edit: doesn't look like I'll be getting ahead of myself.

3-episode quiz: Tangent, The Curse & Serpent's Venom

Jigsaw puzzle: The Serpent's Venom
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; May 11th, 2018 at 07:41 AM.

11:39

I end my jigsaw night with a 5:22 time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast