Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Allergy Thread: What are YOU allergic to?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Allergy Thread: What are YOU allergic to?

Certain Foods? Medicines? Insect stings? Anything at all?

As for me, I have three allergies:
    1) Shellfish (Lobster, Crab, Clams, Oysters, Shrimp): Makes me really really sick for the next 12-16 hours.
    2) Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin): Makes me break out in hives, all over my body, and requires a trip to the hospital.
    3) Ceclor (some other random drug): I don't know, and I'm not sure that I want to know.

My four-year-old brother, on the other hand, has more allergies than I've ever seen before:
    1) Milk (includes whey, casein, lactose)
    2) Dairy (anything that includes milk; ice cream, yogurt, cheese, butter, and margarine)
    3) Eggs (includes both egg whites and egg yolks)
    4) Peanuts (includes peanut butter, peanut oil, and almost everything processed in a plant with peanuts)
    5) All Tree Nuts (includes Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Pecans, and Hazlenuts)
    6) All Melons (includes watermelon, cantelope, and honeydew)
    7) All Squash (includes cucumber, pumpkin, zuchinni, yellow squash, and acorn)
    8) Bananas and Grapes (includes anything with grape juice) (And don't ask me how or why, because I don't get it either....)
    And all of these can require the immediate use of an EpiPen plus a trip to the ER if a sufficient amount is ingested. That's only happened once before, though. Otherwise, he just takes tons of Benadryl and waits it out.

So what are you allergic to? And what happens if you're exposed to it? Discuss.
    And if you're genuinely allergic to citrus, you win a gold star.
    Last edited by puddlejumper747; 31 August 2005, 09:04 AM.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Nothing I think
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

hahaha I'm allergic to cats and mildly allergic to grass
      Citizen of Braneville

Comment

nothin as far as i know... although i do have seasonal allergies... (well i think thats what it is.) prob due to the pollen in the air.
        sigpic

Comment

Pollen Hayfever's just annoying. Ruins cycling/summer/football/outside in general!!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I have seasonal allergies, but that's about it.

My husband, on the other hand, is allergic to cat, dog, and horse as well as having seasonal allergies. It used to be that if he walked into a house where a cat lived, within 10 minutes his eyes got red and he couldn't breathe. He's been taking shots for the past few years, and now he's at the point where we can spend an evening at a house where pets live, and he'll be ok... but we will never be able to get a kitty.
            I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

I'm allergic to aspirin, sucks that I can't get all the help I want, when I have a headache, but why complain, there's always tylenol.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats !! And we have two, really cute, cats
                Spoiler:

Comment

I'm allergic to technobabble.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                    And if you're genuinely allergic to citrus, you win a gold star.
                    Does a body-wide outbreak of eczema (including weeping pustules akin to poison ivy and intense itching) after eating two slices of orange count? Cause I want that gold star!

I'm also plagued by: Dust, cattle dander, grass, mold and pine, all with the eczema reaction. I also have a wheat allergy which I was diagnosed with as a child, but it never gave a really acute reaction like the others. Here in the last few years tho, I developed an asthma attack reaction to it.

Interestingly, now that I have wheat out of my diet, the other allergens aren't nearly as bothersome.

Comment

Since I developed asthma a couple years ago, I got a dust allergy. It makes my face itch like crazy and I can't stop sneezing. Luckily, it's not too severe - I can take anti histamines beforehand if I know I'll be doing something dusty, like cleaning, or the filing at work; or I just wash my hands and face and go somewhere not so dusty for a little while and I'm ok.

Strangely enough though, laughing is one of my asthma triggers, which is a pain. I laugh too much and I start to have an asthma attack

Comment

Nothing, I think
                        sigpic

Comment

My father in law has 42 allergies! He's pretty much allergic to the 21st century sadly. Hubs has a bad allergy to mites - dust mites, the mites you find on cats and dogs etc. He's not even supposed to be in the house when a vacuum is on (now all the guys reading this are wondering where they can get their get out of house work pass!).

Sulphides make my tongue swell up and my throat close up. So any rubbish red wines are out. I also don't take a risk with soft drinks that come out of a tap as the taps are often cleaned with a sulphide based cleaner.

My body isn't very tolerant of wheat. A food intolerance isn't the same as an allergy. And allergic reaction is immediate, and a defined set of symptons.
                          sigpic

Comment

om allergic to tetachloraetholyne it makes me hollucinate and think my street is under seige from aliens who take the appearnace of my neighbours he he only kidding i am slightly allergic to these:

1. i have a slight allergy to cat hairs, only a little my nose drips and my face itches like mad, sometimes my eyes get sore but not anything i would consider bad, i love my kitty cat.

2. dust, same as cat hairs but i have chest spasms and vomity feeling.

3. seasonal allergies to all forms of a pollen my throat swells up and my nasal cavities swell up and my ears get infected and my eyes go red at times although over the years it seems to get a little less painful each time maybe my body is getting used to it.

4. dairy products (milk and all fatty dairy products) my throat swells up and becomes infected as well as my ears and sometimes my tounge swells up a little and seems to bring on a sever infection of sorts, altjough that hasent happend in a while im still unsure how that could affect me but it doesnt happen too much probably 6 times in my life so far, maybe sometimes my body hasen't the full ability to keep the tons of bacteria from milk and so on from infecting my throat and mouth i call it a reaction of sorts but maybe that happens to many people i don't know.
                            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I'm allergic to cats and to this one medicine...but i'm not sure what its called...which could be a bad thing..but i guess i'll figure it out after i take it and turn poofy and red...*_^

~Jenny~

Comment

Working...
                              X