No announcement yet.

Tangent (412)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do believe that Jacob and Selmak were complacent from the knowledge that Earth was a Protected Planet under the Asgaard treaty. They would have believed Earth was safe under the umbrella and was free to progress their technology at a more conservative rate.

If Jacob and Selmak had known the truth, that the Protected Planets Treaty was a sham on part of the Asgaard and that the fleet was not able to defend all worlds under its care, they would have altered their perspective and been more understanding of Earth's desperate need to muster some form of defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
      I do believe that Jacob and Selmak were complacent from the knowledge that Earth was a Protected Planet under the Asgaard treaty. They would have believed Earth was safe under the umbrella and was free to progress their technology at a more conservative rate.

If Jacob and Selmak had known the truth, that the Protected Planets Treaty was a sham on part of the Asgaard and that the fleet was not able to defend all worlds under its care, they would have altered their perspective and been more understanding of Earth's desperate need to muster some form of defense.
      Good point. I must admit I hadn't even thought of that.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rhydderch Hael]
        Well, this episode gives proof positive that the the Tok'ra are a bunch of— big meanies.

<sigh> That's sooooo not what the dialogue suggests in either of these eps.

Jolinar's Memories
        Tok'ra: "One of our agents has vital information that we must retrieve, but he's been captured by Sokar and placed in an prison where no escape is possible. We want you to go in, find out that information, and maybe try to find a way home. By the way, the agent is Sam's dad."
        The only reason the Tok'Ra went to Sam was because she had been blended with the one and only operative that had ever escaped Sokar's inescapable prison. Martouf explained all to them, in detail - despite what Jack kept ragging on about - and told them it might be a one-way ticket to Hell.

The SGC agreed to go, they were not coerced. They happened to believe that Sokar was enough of a threat for Earth to get involved with the operation. They could have limited their participation to getting the info out of Sam's mind and sending Martouf on his merry way. They chose do go further. When Sam appeared unable to retrieve the memories of how Jolinar escaped, Martouf decided to go down alone. He never wanted to sacrifice SG-1 and it was Jack who told him there was no way Marty was going down without them.

Tangent
        SGC: "Our top field commander and the figurehead leader of the Jaffa rebellion are stuck in a broken-down Death Glider. Could you guys spare a day and send a shuttle over to rescue them?"

Tok'ra: "Screw you. Though we have an agent who can do that, we can't be bothered by such an errand."
        Funny, I didn't see "Screw you," in the dialogue.

They "couldn't be bothered" because at the time their only tel'tac within reach of Jack&Teal'c was on a mission of some great importance. Once that mission was completed, they said they'd be glad to help. How is this a "screw you" thing?

Here's how the dialogue actually went:

DANIEL: I spoke with Anise personally. She said they had a scout ship within a day or so of Earth. Barely. But it's on a covert mission to a Goa'uld-occupied world, and the High Council doesn't want to expose the operative by making contact.

DAVIS: Then, why would they bother to tell you that much?

DANIEL: They hope that the operative will complete the mission and report back in time to help Jack and Teal'C.

GH: I assume Anise refused to say where & what this covert mission was.

DANIEL: And to understand not wanting to jeopardize the life of a Tok'Ra important to BOTH of us. I mean , I sort of lost my temper, but she said she was doing us a favor, by telling us as much as she did.

SAM: Maybe she was! I mean, we know a scout ship's maximum speed from our mission to Netu. We also know it's a Goa'Uld-occupied world relatively close to Earth, so...

The Tok'Ra are allies not waiters or servants, at the SGC's beck and call 24/7.

Sheesh!
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

That's completely right!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
            Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?
            my husband says that his eardrums would have shattered and his eyes would have boiled.

Also, my hubby the physicist says that going 1 million mph would be too slow to get to Jupiter in that amount of time. They would have needed 10 to 15 times the speed and then they would have been going too fast to use Jupiter for any purpose let alone a sling shot.
            Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by angsty_otaku
              ...with daniel's lovely goa'uld speaking skills :-D plus another bonus was major davis !
              Heh, agreed. The Oz bit is one of my favorite lines through the entire series, and I just love Davis.
              "Wild equines could not drag me away"

Comment

Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?
                They weren't in a vacuum. Vacuum means there is no air at all. They were just running low on oxygen so they could survive for atleast a little bit. Once the oxygen ran oout completly they would have 5 minutes before irreversible brain damage. So his syptoms did follow what would of happened.

Comment

What exactly were they "Tangent" to anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                    What exactly were they "Tangent" to anyways?

Lol...i don't know. I was busy watching Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
                      They weren't in a vacuum. Vacuum means there is no air at all. They were just running low on oxygen so they could survive for atleast a little bit. Once the oxygen ran oout completly they would have 5 minutes before irreversible brain damage. So his syptoms did follow what would of happened.
                      I was talking about when they were exposed to vacuum before Jacob could beam them aboard.

Comment

Originally Posted by Major Tyler

This question has popped up quite a bit in the Science Fiction genre. I remember the same questions being asked in reference to a scene in Farscape. And from what I've read, the science here is fairly accurate. A human can survive in a vacuum with relatively little harm for approx 90 sec. (but not necessarily remain conscious). And if you expel as much air from your lungs as possible (don't try to hold your breath) you can avoid the effects of rapid decompression. (And if I recall correctly from the episode, Sam did tell the guys to get rid of as much air in their lungs as possible before popping the canopy). So I'd say they did a pretty good job keeping it real.

Nasa Goddard Space Flight Center Website

How long can a human live unprotected in space?

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Various minor problems (sunburn, possibly "the bends", certainly some [mild, reversible, painless] swelling of skin and underlying tissue) start after ten seconds or so. At some point you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. Injuries accumulate. After perhaps one or two minutes, you're dying. The limits are not really known.

You do not explode and your blood does not boil because of the containing effect of your skin and circulatory system. You do not instantly freeze because, although the space environment is typically very cold, heat does not transfer away from a body quickly. Loss of consciousness occurs only after the body has depleted the supply of oxygen in the blood. If your skin is exposed to direct sunlight without any protection from its intense ultraviolet radiation, you can get a very bad sunburn."

More info here:

Human Exposure To Vacuum

Hope this is helpful.

~cp

Comment

after watching it again...one thing is bugging me ( no, not you buggy, dear ).

Why did Davis Congrats Carter on coming up with the term "Time Lag" when he, himself said it like in a previous secne or few secnes before????

Comment

Maybe Sam first came up with it off screen before Davis used it for the first time on-screen.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by the_cadpig
                              Hope this is helpful.

~cp
                              It was very helpful, thank you!
                              Originally posted by SilverRider
                              Why did Davis Congrats Carter on coming up with the term "Time Lag" when he, himself said it like in a previous secne or few secnes before????
                              I think he was commenting on her idea to mention the time of the communications when they were transmitted, not the use of the term "lag time."

Comment

I think he was commenting on her idea to mention the time of the communications when they were transmitted, not the use of the term "lag time."

Ah okay I think, I misunderstood...opps

Comment

Working...
                                X