Tangent (412)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momo
    O'Niell and Teal'c, relative to the modified death glider, when pushing off, would have been left far behind, right?

Wouldn't it be the same as opening the car window and putting the fly outside?
    No, as when you put a fly out the window of your car, wind and other drag forces pull it to a stop (or slower speed) while your car keeps on going at the same speed. In vacuum, there are no drag forces (at least, to speak of) so when Teal'c and O'Neill pushed off from the X-301, they presumably would have been going the same speed as the craft from whence they came... although, I find the notion of Jacob slowing or stopping the craft with a tractor beam or whatever to be a far 'neater' way of them pulling off the maneuver.
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta
      although, I find the notion of Jacob slowing or stopping the craft with a tractor beam or whatever to be a far 'neater' way of them pulling off the maneuver.
      I agree. Far neater. I'm not a physicist so my simple mind thinks: 'If I were driving along an earth road and the atmosphere was a vaccum, then if I somehow put the fly out of the window whilst driving at 1 million mph, I would leave the fly behind'

Does gravity play a part? Perhaps i'm just thinking far too much. I love SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
        They went off on a tangent from their original plan - which was to participate in a military exercise to show off the new plane and ended up with them stranded as the plane headed out into deep space. Or, as my dictionary puts it: "Tangent: on a completely different and divergent course from that intended."
        It could also be considered a tangent because they were trying to slingshot around jupiter resulting in a curved flight pattern like the one displayed on the computer at the SGC, but instead they continue in a straight line, hence a tangent to the curve.
        "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

Comment

Originally posted by skeezix
          It could also be considered a tangent because they were trying to slingshot around jupiter resulting in a curved flight pattern like the one displayed on the computer at the SGC, but instead they continue in a straight line, hence a tangent to the curve.
          That's what I thought, but I'm no rocket scientist
          sigpic
          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

i like it how apophis came on and he said that the ship would be returning to its home and then later on in the show jack finds out who the people were that did that and if i remember i think he was actually going to kill them

Comment

I *love* the music in this ep, especially during the opening teaser. One of my favorite eps.

~I'm Just Sayin'~

Comment

It had some great Jack/Teal'c moments too, like the 'We have fought and won many battles together. It has been an honor to serve the Tau'ri by your side. We are brothers.' bit by Teal'c really shows how close the two of them have become. Brought a tear to my eye when he said it!

Comment

this ep was like a mine nasa movie right down to the cheering at the end rescue. This was a top notch ep.

Comment

Also, the best opening sequence music ever!

Comment

what was it?

Comment

The music that was playing during the first couple of minutes before the title sequence, when Teal'c was flying the X-301. Don't know what its called, although I think it was written specifically for Stargate.

Comment

I loved this episode. The balance of humour and drama was superb. I loved Jacob/Selmac telling them off, for being so presumptous in trying to fly an alien craft. He had a good point, though. I'm sure Daniel will go down in Goa'uld history, for introducing them to the Wizard of Oz.
                          sigpic
                          Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

Oz Kree!

Comment

i love this episode and i agree about the music its also in a few other episodes ta do with new ships as well

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

The dialog between Jack and Teal'c in this episode is priceless. Teal'c get's all deep and starts to say how much he respects Jack and all Jack can say is well, um back at ya. Than when Teal'c is asleep and Jack has to throw a pen at him to wake him up I was laughing my head off. Selmak was a great addition to this episode without his involvement it could have come off as slightly boring. As for the whole "you can't just slap a U.S. Air Force sticker on the side of a Death Glider speech" was way off. In my opinion it's those small steps that got the United States to where it is today.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X