Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Tangent (412)

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

Default Re: Tangent (412)

I had never noticed before until I watched the episode with commentary, that when Teal'c does his flyover at the start of the episode the car windows all explode!

Major

Oh, and for the people saying how Jack wouldn't've survived the rescue? Listen to the commentary because they explain in excruciating detail why he would.

Seaboe

Major General

I always loved watching those flyovers..

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. WOO HOO! WOO HOO HOO!

2. "Cheyenne, we have a problem".

3. "Backatcha". A Jackism I've used often enough since then.

4. The Great and mighty Oz!

5. Jack acting dumb with lack of oxygen.

Some dumb stuff at a scientific level but still a fun ep if you ignore that!

I enjoyed the episode, and we finally get to see what they did with the death gliders they "commandeered" from seasons ones finale. Jack's excitement for his new toy is funny, can't ever take the pilot out of him.

I liked Jacob's involvement, but I always found him to be bit of a jerk with his reactions to Earth's attempts at trying to build technology to save themselves. Although in the commentary, I do like the directors pointing out his outfit is cow stomach - and how unhappy the actor was to be wearing it.

For a slower moving episode the actors did a good job at creating a tense and emotional atmosphere during whole episode.

Oh, and for the people saying how Jack wouldn't've survived the rescue? Listen to the commentary because they explain in excruciating detail why he would.
    Yes, in the commentary, they do state that you are able to actually last a few seconds before the effects of space affect the body.

Another favourite episode. I like this for reminding me why I liked SG-1's early days, the days when it wasn't an easy fix. No beaming out with Asgard technology at the final moment.

This had the tension and drama of it being a real certainty that Jack and Teal'c may not survive. Their loneliness and helplessness in the vastness of space was wonderfully shown in the scene where the ship glides across the screen in front of the sun in the distance.

The fact that tinkering with alien technology caused such an unforeseen problem was good. The curious humans will investigate everything, and that is what I love about this show, especially in the early days, the trial and error!

Jacob's reaction was a funny one, acting a bit like a mother hen for Earth, admonishing them for messing around with things they shouldn't be messing with, they could get hurt!!!

Cow's stomach?!!! Seriously?!!! I always thought the Tok'ra outfits looked weird, but this?!

I have to ask the question.......how can anyone know that an unprotected human can survive even for a few seconds in the vacuum of space?! Hmmmm.....

I will admit to cheering with the rest of them at the end.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    Another favourite episode. I like this for reminding me why I liked SG-1's early days, the days when it wasn't an easy fix. No beaming out with Asgard technology at the final moment.

This had the tension and drama of it being a real certainty that Jack and Teal'c may not survive. Their loneliness and helplessness in the vastness of space was wonderfully shown in the scene where the ship glides across the screen in front of the sun in the distance.

The fact that tinkering with alien technology caused such an unforeseen problem was good. The curious humans will investigate everything, and that is what I love about this show, especially in the early days, the trial and error!

Jacob's reaction was a funny one, acting a bit like a mother hen for Earth, admonishing them for messing around with things they shouldn't be messing with, they could get hurt!!!

Cow's stomach?!!! Seriously?!!! I always thought the Tok'ra outfits looked weird, but this?!

I have to ask the question.......how can anyone know that an unprotected human can survive even for a few seconds in the vacuum of space?! Hmmmm.....
    Thier have tested how long higher lifeforms can survive without oxygen
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

DVDs Re: Tangent's made-up physics

An average filter episode. Although, a boring plot that was made interesting.

Stuff from the commentary:
    • The end of the teaser was inspired by the Air Force Recruiting video
    • Jack throwing a pen at Teal'c was Peter DeLuise's idea

Tomorrow, old colleagues of Daniel's appear.

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormjules View Post
    I do like the directors pointing out his outfit is cow stomach - and how unhappy the actor was to be wearing it.
    Ew, I'm not surprised... Poor Carmen...

My LiveJournal post
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

A pretty good ep. So glad the X-302 looked so much better than the 301.

Good to see Jacob, even if it was for such a small time.

This one haunts Jack for a long time which is just hilarious. I like this episode because it once again shows SG1 way over thier heads. The X-301 is basiclly a Death Glider with a few modifications of Earth technology. While I do not agree with Jacob's assement of us being too infantile it still is interesting to see them go way over their head and have the rest of SG1 scramble. Although if we are too nitpick being so love on oxygen and then have Teal'c and Jack exposed to the vaccum of space they should have been unconscious and in serious health conditions. And poor jaintors who have to clean those thrown papers
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    A pretty good ep. So glad the X-302 looked so much better than the 301.
    While the 302 looked cool, from a real airplane design standpoint, it has problems. One of which is how close the wing tips are to the ground.

Seaboe

Major

The more I see this, the more I think this is one of the best episodes of the entire series. It tells a story that more traditional, ship-based TV SF can't tell. The acting is a tour de force for just about everyone in it (the scene where Hammond and Davis listen to O'Neill's final message is just spectacular; as is RDA's delivery of those lines).

It adds to our understanding of how the Tokra view us; shows us how far each member of the SGC will go for the others, and is visually beautiful.

Yes, it has its problems (among them the speed with which O'Neill recovers from anoxia), but overall I think it's great.

And as PDL says in the commentary, about RDA's performance, "there's a reason his name is above the title."

Seaboe

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Yes I have often wondered how they manage to the land the plane without the wings hitting the ground. Would have to be an expert at keeping it straight.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    Yes I have often wondered how they manage to the land the plane without the wings hitting the ground. Would have to be an expert at keeping it straight.
    I had a conversation with some AF people here when I first joined the board; in addition to the wings, with all those engines at the back, plus fuel, it's got to be very hard to keep the nose up--it's not well balanced. But it looks cool, and that's the most important thing, right?

Seaboe

My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I had a conversation with some AF people here when I first joined the board; in addition to the wings, with all those engines at the back, plus fuel, it's got to be very hard to keep the nose up--it's not well balanced. But it looks cool, and that's the most important thing, right?

Seaboe
    But all of those issues assumes that the X-302 uses the same principles of arodynamics and propulsion as our current technology, which I think is rather presumptuous given that this craft is based on alien technology and has capabilities far superior to any earth fighter.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    But all of those issues assumes that the X-302 uses the same principles of arodynamics and propulsion as our current technology, which I think is rather presumptuous given that this craft is based on alien technology and has capabilities far superior to any earth fighter.
    It does use the same principles of aerodynamics and proplusion as our current technology, until it exits the atmosphere. They say so in the show. It has jet engines, aerospikes and a rocket booster. The jets and aerospikes apparently use the same exhaust system. It lands and takes off from earth, so the wing design being too close the the ground stays the same. The placement of the engines dictates it is back heavy (and therefore unbalanced). None of these things change just because it's based on alien technology.

It's a great looking ship; I don't knock that--but it's not really a very practical design (then again, it was built by the Air Force so how would they know any better? They fly planes; they don't build 'em).

Seaboe

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    It does use the same principles of aerodynamics and proplusion as our current technology, until it exits the atmosphere. They say so in the show.
    That's interesting, since I recall seeing an old-model death glider hovering above the ground, stationary, suggesting that unmodified gliders have anti-gravity engines. (It's the episode where SG-1 is rescued from Hathor.) Well, at least they have the inertial dampening field while flying in-atmosphere. Prevents black-outs.

Thanks for the excellent summaries, Krisz and Seaboe.
    This ep surprises me by its depth and perception. The build up of tension plus the acting from RDA are outstanding!
    "Colonel, General, Major, General, Doctor, General" And who says Vadrine has no sense of humor? :-}
    I liked the Tollan reference indicating an ongoing relationship as well. And Daniel at the controls of the scout ship communicating with the Goa'uld was welcome relief while Jack and Teal'c prepare to die in the cold of space. Always, just the right amount of humor at just the right times. Yay PDL!
    Quite simply one of the best nudges of the season!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast