Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangent (412)

Riding her scooty throne in the Poking Land

Default Re: Tangent (412)

Quote Originally Posted by Jynjyr
    Major Davis forever endeared himself to me by tearing up at one point. *sniffles*
    OH the man knew how to show emotion.

Ohio, USA,Earth. I only work in outer space.

IMO, this was an ep where they did a lot with very little and it was well written. *thumbs up*
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...lcdrskrit1.gif
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/skritsys.jpg
    Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Probie

I have a question, and this is my first post.
    Remember when they stopped accelerating and started cruising out of the solar system? after that, they were going a million miles an hour.
    Did they suddenly stop after the rockets failed to slingshot them around Jupiter?
    During the whole last scene, it seemed as if both vessels came to a stop.
    The nudge, the transporter rings, was all in complete stillness! wouldn't popping the cockpit and floating up be impossible if both ships were travelling at a million miles an hour?

Your thoughts...

Earth Symbol Re: Tangent (412)

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    I have a question, and this is my first post.
    Remember when they stopped accelerating and started cruising out of the solar system? after that, they were going a million miles an hour.
    Did they suddenly stop after the rockets failed to slingshot them around Jupiter?
    During the whole last scene, it seemed as if both vessels came to a stop.
    The nudge, the transporter rings, was all in complete stillness! wouldn't popping the cockpit and floating up be impossible if both ships were travelling at a million miles an hour?

Your thoughts...
    Motion is relative in space. If both craft are moving at exactly the same speed, without an external point of reference they would appear to be completely still. Here's a question for you...how can a fly move freely within your car when you are traveling a 60 MPH down the highway?

Also, Jacob could have stopped the X-302 with a tractor beam off-camera.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Motion is relative in space. If both craft are moving at exactly the same speed, without an external point of reference they would appear to be completely still. Here's a question for you...how can a fly move freely within your car when you are traveling a 60 MPH down the highway?

Also, Jacob could have stopped the X-302 with a tractor beam off-camera.
    O'Niell and Teal'c, relative to the modified death glider, when pushing off, would have been left far behind, right?

Wouldn't it be the same as opening the car window and putting the fly outside?
    Last edited by momo; December 4th, 2005 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    O'Niell and Teal'c, relative to the modified death glider, when pushing off, would have been left far behind, right?

Wouldn't it be the same as opening the car window and putting the fly outside?
    No, as when you put a fly out the window of your car, wind and other drag forces pull it to a stop (or slower speed) while your car keeps on going at the same speed. In vacuum, there are no drag forces (at least, to speak of) so when Teal'c and O'Neill pushed off from the X-301, they presumably would have been going the same speed as the craft from whence they came... although, I find the notion of Jacob slowing or stopping the craft with a tractor beam or whatever to be a far 'neater' way of them pulling off the maneuver.
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Mefusta
    although, I find the notion of Jacob slowing or stopping the craft with a tractor beam or whatever to be a far 'neater' way of them pulling off the maneuver.
    I agree. Far neater. I'm not a physicist so my simple mind thinks: 'If I were driving along an earth road and the atmosphere was a vaccum, then if I somehow put the fly out of the window whilst driving at 1 million mph, I would leave the fly behind'

Does gravity play a part? Perhaps i'm just thinking far too much. I love SG1.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion
    They went off on a tangent from their original plan - which was to participate in a military exercise to show off the new plane and ended up with them stranded as the plane headed out into deep space. Or, as my dictionary puts it: "Tangent: on a completely different and divergent course from that intended."
    It could also be considered a tangent because they were trying to slingshot around jupiter resulting in a curved flight pattern like the one displayed on the computer at the SGC, but instead they continue in a straight line, hence a tangent to the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by skeezix
    It could also be considered a tangent because they were trying to slingshot around jupiter resulting in a curved flight pattern like the one displayed on the computer at the SGC, but instead they continue in a straight line, hence a tangent to the curve.
    That's what I thought, but I'm no rocket scientist
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5...phugrodeg1.gif "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

i like it how apophis came on and he said that the ship would be returning to its home and then later on in the show jack finds out who the people were that did that and if i remember i think he was actually going to kill them

Second Lieutenant I'm Just Sayin''s Avatar

I *love* the music in this ep, especially during the opening teaser. One of my favorite eps.

Major General

It had some great Jack/Teal'c moments too, like the 'We have fought and won many battles together. It has been an honor to serve the Tau'ri by your side. We are brothers.' bit by Teal'c really shows how close the two of them have become. Brought a tear to my eye when he said it!

this ep was like a mine nasa movie right down to the cheering at the end rescue. This was a top notch ep.

Major General

Also, the best opening sequence music ever!

what was it?

Major General

The music that was playing during the first couple of minutes before the title sequence, when Teal'c was flying the X-301. Don't know what its called, although I think it was written specifically for Stargate.

Chief Master Sergeant Harlan's Speechwriter's Avatar

I loved this episode. The balance of humour and drama was superb. I loved Jacob/Selmac telling them off, for being so presumptous in trying to fly an alien craft. He had a good point, though. I'm sure Daniel will go down in Goa'uld history, for introducing them to the Wizard of Oz.
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Major General

Oz Kree!

i love this episode and i agree about the music its also in a few other episodes ta do with new ships as well

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Tangent (412)

The dialog between Jack and Teal'c in this episode is priceless. Teal'c get's all deep and starts to say how much he respects Jack and all Jack can say is well, um back at ya. Than when Teal'c is asleep and Jack has to throw a pen at him to wake him up I was laughing my head off. Selmak was a great addition to this episode without his involvement it could have come off as slightly boring. As for the whole "you can't just slap a U.S. Air Force sticker on the side of a Death Glider speech" was way off. In my opinion it's those small steps that got the United States to where it is today.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast