Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangent (412)

Default Re: Tangent (412)

Quote Originally Posted by angsty_otaku
    ...with daniel's lovely goa'uld speaking skills :-D plus another bonus was major davis !
    Heh, agreed. The Oz bit is one of my favorite lines through the entire series, and I just love Davis.

Default Re: Tangent's made-up physics

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?
    They weren't in a vacuum. Vacuum means there is no air at all. They were just running low on oxygen so they could survive for atleast a little bit. Once the oxygen ran oout completly they would have 5 minutes before irreversible brain damage. So his syptoms did follow what would of happened.

What exactly were they "Tangent" to anyways?

Riding her scooty throne in the Poking Land

Quote Originally Posted by cobraR478

Lol...i don't know. I was busy watching Davis.

Earth Symbol Re: Tangent's made-up physics

Quote Originally Posted by SmartFox
    They weren't in a vacuum. Vacuum means there is no air at all. They were just running low on oxygen so they could survive for atleast a little bit. Once the oxygen ran oout completly they would have 5 minutes before irreversible brain damage. So his syptoms did follow what would of happened.
    I was talking about when they were exposed to vacuum before Jacob could beam them aboard.

Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?

This question has popped up quite a bit in the Science Fiction genre. I remember the same questions being asked in reference to a scene in Farscape. And from what I've read, the science here is fairly accurate. A human can survive in a vacuum with relatively little harm for approx 90 sec. (but not necessarily remain conscious). And if you expel as much air from your lungs as possible (don't try to hold your breath) you can avoid the effects of rapid decompression. (And if I recall correctly from the episode, Sam did tell the guys to get rid of as much air in their lungs as possible before popping the canopy). So I'd say they did a pretty good job keeping it real.

Nasa Goddard Space Flight Center Website

How long can a human live unprotected in space?

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Various minor problems (sunburn, possibly "the bends", certainly some [mild, reversible, painless] swelling of skin and underlying tissue) start after ten seconds or so. At some point you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. Injuries accumulate. After perhaps one or two minutes, you're dying. The limits are not really known.

You do not explode and your blood does not boil because of the containing effect of your skin and circulatory system. You do not instantly freeze because, although the space environment is typically very cold, heat does not transfer away from a body quickly. Loss of consciousness occurs only after the body has depleted the supply of oxygen in the blood. If your skin is exposed to direct sunlight without any protection from its intense ultraviolet radiation, you can get a very bad sunburn."

More info here:

Human Exposure To Vacuum

Hope this is helpful.

~cp

after watching it again...one thing is bugging me ( no, not you buggy, dear ).

Why did Davis Congrats Carter on coming up with the term "Time Lag" when he, himself said it like in a previous secne or few secnes before????

Maybe Sam first came up with it off screen before Davis used it for the first time on-screen.

Earth Symbol Re: Tangent (412)

Quote Originally Posted by the_cadpig
    Hope this is helpful.

~cp
    It was very helpful, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRider
    Why did Davis Congrats Carter on coming up with the term "Time Lag" when he, himself said it like in a previous secne or few secnes before????
    I think he was commenting on her idea to mention the time of the communications when they were transmitted, not the use of the term "lag time."

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    I think he was commenting on her idea to mention the time of the communications when they were transmitted, not the use of the term "lag time."

Ah okay I think, I misunderstood...opps

I liked this episode. I thought he was saying something about OZ before he even translated the line.

This must be one of the only episodes I found a bit boring, but everybody else seems to like it so maybe I missed the point. I just felt the storyline was a bit weak.

It was an okay episode, nothing really there to get you on the edge of your seat a few comdy moments with Daniel saying he is the great and all powerful Oz and Jacobs Scotty line !!!

Second Lieutenant

yeah it was a little above average, I liked how jack tried waking Teal'c up!

I didnt really like this episode it was a bit long drawn out. But Oz was good.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

First Lieutenant

this was the first episode i ever saw but i didnt really appreciate it till i watched it for a 3rd time

How do people like this episode it was boring beyond belief. Other than the Oz quote, this episode was one of best stinkers of all time.

Captain

They went off on a tangent from their original plan - which was to participate in a military exercise to show off the new plane and ended up with them stranded as the plane headed out into deep space. Or, as my dictionary puts it: "Tangent: on a completely different and divergent course from that intended."

Like a couple of previous posters, I found this one dreadfully boring when I first watched it. In fact, I think I even switched off halfway through. Skip ahead about a year and I woke up with a sudden, inexplicable urge to watch all my SG1 tapes. Hit this one and - just adored it. Go figure. I can't explain it. All I know is that it suddenly became one of my favourite episodes and I simply cannot understand what I found boring about it to begin with.

The script in particular is sharp and witty. I love watching the relationship between Teal'c and Jack, with its beautifully poignant moments and its basis in their friendship. The tension is skillfully racked up throughout the hour and it has some genuinely cute and laugh out loud moments. Far too many in fact for me to pick a favourite to quote here. Plus - it has Jacob. How could you not love an episode that includes Jacob? It also has some of my favourite music beats - such as the music they use in the teaser with the plane and the music they use as Teal'c and Jack are ringed up from the plane. Oh, and Jack and Teal'c arriving safely on the ship and then promptly falling over like frozen popsicles never fails to have me ROTFL. And I love the end scene with the SGC going crazy and Davis and Hammond. Lump in my throat as the end credits roll, every single time. And Davis! How could you not love an episode that has Davis?

So this one for me is cute, funny, poignant, dramatic, tense and steeped in character relationships. Not just Jack and Teal'c, but Sam and Daniel working to bring their friends safely home. Jacob and /Sam/Jack/Daniel, even Hammond and Davis interacting.

It's all good.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Oh, I agree with Albion. Yessir.
    Being a Jack-fan and a whump-fan this one caught me from the beginning. Also interested in space-flight, the solar system and science-geek, I knew exactly what they were trying to do with the 'nudge'. Everything I like. A team episode even though they were separated, a tear-jerker and a laugher.
    Major Davis forever endeared himself to me by tearing up at one point. *sniffles*
    Jacob, who didn't ask anything more after Daniel told him "Jack and Teal'c are in trouble."

*digs out the DVD* I've got to watch it again.

You're never too old to do something goofy.
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Captain

*digs out the DVD* I've got to watch it again.
    LOL - yeah, me too. Once I got to thinking about all those wonderful moments earlier I just couldn't resist. <happy sigh>

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast