Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Point of No Return (411)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
    I am dense with this episode as well. Marty a SOLDIER in intergalactic war against the goa'uld who they couldn't defeat? Doesn't make sense. Also, even if they arrived on Earth, it means they are advanced enough to engage in intergalactic travel without a stargate, so how did Marty find out about the idea of stargate, not to mention SGC and O'Neil??
    What did his "friends" mean by the "experiment"?? It was their escape pod. Do these aliens return for another episode, and had Marty been more sophisticated he could have even been integrated into the SGC.
    You should probably watch

Spoiler:
    Wormhole X-treme! and maybe 200
    to understand Martin and his background better.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

First Lieutenant

Thanks. I didn't get past season 4 yet...........Anyway, can Marty tell us how he got the phone number for the SGC? And if he could get their number, he could get any number, including......Maybourne's.......
    And isn't his home planet worth further investigation reconnaissance to find out what happened there, what their society was like, weaponry, technology, etc.??? It seemed as if Marty's cotravelers didn't know anything about a stargate and were mystified about what Teal'c had in his belly. Presumably if they were fighting the goa'ulds they would have known about the Jaffa.....

Major

Dave2, a number of the questions in your first post would be answered if you listened to the commentary. As for the phone number--there is almost certainly a public contact number for the base (Cheyenne Mountain). From there the call would be routed to the appropriate people. I take it you don't work for a large corporation...

Seaboe

First Lieutenant

No, but the SGC is a top secret operation even only ostensibly under the oversight of the President and the Joint Chiefs. So how is it likely for the SGC Cheyenne Mountain operation to have an accessible phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Dave2, a number of the questions in your first post would be answered if you listened to the commentary. As for the phone number--there is almost certainly a public contact number for the base (Cheyenne Mountain). From there the call would be routed to the appropriate people. I take it you don't work for a large corporation...

Seaboe

My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate

No, but the SGC is a top secret operation even only ostensibly under the oversight of the President and the Joint Chiefs. So how is it likely for the SGC Cheyenne Mountain operation to have an accessible phone number?
    Phone number for Norad: (719) 554-6889.

That took me less than a minute to find. And Marty explained that he learned about the SGC on conspiracy websites that talked about a secret base below norad in Cheyenne mountain. He would have had no problem making that call. The operator took Marty's call; recorded it and passed it on to Hammond.

Major

What hlndncr said. Marty didn't need a number for the SGC. He only needed a number for Cheyenne Mountain.

Seaboe

And let me just say that you probably shouldn't call that number and ask to speak with someone at Stargate Command. Although, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be the first to do so.

You can however call them and ask where Santa is. They've been tracking his sleigh since 1955.

Apparently Jay Felger gave it to his Mom. She called him in his lab at the SGC in "Avenger 2.0".

Major

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Apparently Jay Felger gave it to his Mom. She called him in his lab at the SGC in "Avenger 2.0".
    I work for a very large corporation (150,000 employees world wide, plus subsidiaries). I have a direct dial number, which I could give my mother. But if you call the general number for my corporation, they won't give you my direct dial unless you prove you also work for the same corporation. They will connect you to me (or my voice mail), but they won't give out the number.

My guess is that Jay's lab has a direct dial number, which he gave his mother for emergency use only. His mother's interpretation of 'emergency' however, is flexible.

Seaboe

First Lieutenant

OK, but Norad is not the SGC. And where did he hear of the stargate to begin with and O'Neil?

Well we know the media was sniffing round Jack in the S2 ep Secrets therefore it's reasonable to assume that if there was a leak that far back, enough bits and pieces would make it online by S4.

OK, but Norad is not the SGC. And where did he hear of the stargate to begin with and O'Neil?
    It would not be a stretch of the imagination that the NORAD and SGC switchboards are the same. And Marty clearly states that he learned about the stargate and O'Neill through conspiricy chatrooms.

I think you need to rewatch the episodes more than once if you are having such trouble grasping the details. And you should also realize that the writers consider their audiance sophisticated enough to fill in the gaps with reasonable explanations as we have done here. If you can't accept that then you are watching the wrong show. I for one don't want the show to waste story telling time telling me step by step how Marty might have gathered his information. It's a reasonable enough scenario that I can merely assume that it was done.

First Lieutenant

Criticism acknowledged and accepted, hlndcr. As I posted elsewhere, I am often so impacted by the extent of realism that I have unrealistic expectations of them filling in all the gaps to provide a fuller context, especially as the potential basis for more elements in future shows, i.e. the original planet of Marty, what happened with the goa'uld war, the survivors, etc. etc. the "experiment," etc. No harm done.

It's why fanfic was created
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

First Lieutenant

This website's episode summaries include questions about each episode touching on the context and details, much like the type of questions I ask. Take this page for example: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/411.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    It would not be a stretch of the imagination that the NORAD and SGC switchboards are the same. And Marty clearly states that he learned about the stargate and O'Neill through conspiricy chatrooms.

I think you need to rewatch the episodes more than once if you are having such trouble grasping the details. And you should also realize that the writers consider their audiance sophisticated enough to fill in the gaps with reasonable explanations as we have done here. If you can't accept that then you are watching the wrong show. I for one don't want the show to waste story telling time telling me step by step how Marty might have gathered his information. It's a reasonable enough scenario that I can merely assume that it was done.

This website's episode summaries include questions about each episode touching on the context and details, much like the type of questions I ask. Take this page for example: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/411.shtml
    You'd have to ask Darren about that. I think he wrote a lot of those ep guides around the time the ep aired.

What I'm saying is that there are going to be plot holes and it's perfectly valid to point them out. But I think some holes just aren't critical to understanding the story and/or can be explained away sufficiently in many different ways that don't need to be spelled out explicitly. That is my position at least. If you're looking for definitive answers for these things for the most part they just aren't out there. Some things come up in later eps, but most of the time you just have to use your imagination. I'm perfectly capable of doing that and in fact enjoy doing so. If the suggestions we've provided here for how those holes can be squared away don't satisfy you then how would you explain it? Because if you're convinced that it's unexplainable and impossible then I can only conclude that you don't really like the show.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Jack's scifi humming and Teal'c's vibrating bed are among the funnier parts of this ep, for sure. Teal'c's enjoyment of newspaper rags does set up for Daniel to learn about his professor in The Curse, but otherwise, the ep just unfolds nice and slow with odd bits of humor to lighten the day. Like Jack's face while Martin's explaining his implants. Priceless!

Chief Master Sergeant

I love the episodes that is on Earth.
    Really good episode!

This was good. Martin was portrayed as a real nutter. I feel sorry for those real conspiracy theorists out there.

Did I just see a Cylon ??? I think so, but couldn't find the info about the full cast ...

Yes I was right:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0071922/
    Last edited by Cluas; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: to add

The only thing about this episode that stands out to me is that I sat through and watched the entire Sex in the City series with my wife but have to watch Stargate alone and endure her ridicule.

Otherwise, boring episode.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast