Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TPTB screwed up a Title??? (Spoilers... Ex Deus Machina)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xanderic
    Ex means Former in ITALIAN not Latin

From: http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-...it.pl?latin=ex
    Keep in mind that Italian, like French, Spanish and other European languages, all originate in Latin
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I have studied Latin for 3 years and you are actually wrong, all of you.
      The sequence of words does not change the meaning at all.
      For example cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am) means the exakt same thing as sum ergo cogito that means the same thing as ergo sum cogito...

So the order of the words in the title does not change the meaning at all, its up to everyone to chose how to put sentences together so it feels pleasant to say and to read/write.
      So anyway you put it, it will still mean "god from the machine", no more, no less.

Im sorry my English isn't as good as my latin.

Hallowed be the Ori.

---------------------------------------------
      Si vis pacem, para bellum
      Last edited by Origin; 29 August 2005, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
        Ex means Former in ITALIAN not Latin
        More importantly, it means former in English so non-linguists get the pun too. Ba'al is an ex-god.

Comment

Originally posted by Origin
          For example cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am) means the exakt same thing as sum ergo cogito that means the same thing as ergo sum cogito...

So the order of the words in the title does not change the meaning at all, its up to everyone to chose how to put sentences together so it feels pleasant to say and to read/write.
          The word order of a sentence in Latin is Subject Object Verb. However, with various suffixes it was possible to mark certain words in the sentence as the subject, object or verb and then move them around. Basically for the sentence to be meaningful no matter where the words were placed would require an addition of letters to a word or two.

"Ex Deus Machina" by my research could be "Out of Gods Machine" while
          "Deus Ex Machina" is "God from the machine"

Comment

With all due respect, you are wrong. The preferred order of words is as you say but you can put them in any order without any additional letters and get the EXACT same meaning. Ancient languages is my major and Latin is my specialization. I have 3 years of university studys to back me up, but for good measure I also checked with my professor.

What research have you done? Google?

Oh well, I have told you all how it is and if you wish to keep on thinking about it, go ahead..

Good episode though.

------------------------

Comment

So anyway you put it, it will still mean "god from the machine", no more, no less.
              Interesting. So, how would you say (or rather, write) "from god's machine" in Latin?

a time to mourn

Comment

With all due respect, you are wrong. The preferred order of words is as you say but you can put them in any order without any additional letters and get the EXACT same meaning. Ancient languages is my major and Latin is my specialization. I have 3 years of university studys to back me up, but for good measure I also checked with my professor.

What research have you done? Google?

Oh well, I have told you all how it is and if you wish to keep on thinking about it, go ahead..

Good episode though.

------------------------
                Yes, I know what you are saying - no matter what order the words are in it means the same in Latin.

However as many people know, even those who dont speak latin, the term Duex Ex Machina has been extended in literature to refer to a story that ends in a way that doesnt pay any regard to the story's logic. Kind of like a quick fix in a story. Thus the phrase has meaning in modern day English. (But that's not really the point - Im babbling )

In English swapping around the order of words does have an effect. It is a simple play on words. Sure, everyone who speaks latin will know that it means the same, and yes technically it's wrong, but for everyone who speaks english (or many other languages for that matter) will just think of it as a play on words (or just think it's a title that's really hard to pronounce )

Comment

I see your point. I just feel strongly about miss conceptions when it comes to Latin and the original post really got me going.

In the sense of an English play on words, its quite good..

Lets leave it at that.

Next time I post I will try not to come off as a total *******...

-------------------------
                  Last edited by Origin; 29 August 2005, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Seriously, you've piqued my interest now. I wanna know about that translation I proposed.

Don't make me hold my breath.

a time to mourn

Comment

ex deum machinae

Comment

That's just thinking to hard.

I am going to go with the latin switching the words around meaning the same thing theory.

It is a name for a show. Like any name, you can spell it anyway you want. Sean-Shawn, Michael-Micheal, Steven-Stephen
                        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Im sorry my English isn't as good as my latin.

Hallowed be the Ori.

---------------------------------------------
                          And "God from the Machine" exactly describes Ba'al's activities in this episode...

Mattathias

Comment

yug
                            speeling is consequecetial aslogn as yuor poitn gets arcoss

Comment

Tptb were probably just playing with the words, is all.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Daniel should have cleared it up in the episode with his Latin lol.
                                Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Working...
                                X