Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TPTB screwed up a Title??? (Spoilers... Ex Deus Machina)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPTB screwed up a Title??? (Spoilers... Ex Deus Machina)

Ok so Season 9 Episode 7 is named Ex Deus Machina and most of us have watched it. Now, I had originally thought it could translate to "The Second Machine" in some European language because in Spanish, es means The; in French, Deux means Two; and in Italian, Macchina means Machine. And European Languages are pretty similar, right? That's where I originally drew my conclusion. Also I thought The Second Machine would be a type of cloning machine like in the Gou'ld laboratory (which would be the first) in 9x09 with Anubis' Khalek.

However, after watching the episode, we see five Ba'al's at the end of the episode, one of whom gets killed by Gerak. Anyways, that got me curious whether I got the translation right. So I typed in "Ex Deus Machina translation" in Google and I learn that it is Latin meaning "God from the machine" which makes sense since Ba'al cloned himself four times. HOWEVER, it is not written as "Ex Deus Machina". It is written as "Deus Ex Machina". Therefore, I draw my conclusion that The Powers That Be SCREWED UP!!!!!
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

I think it was a clever play on words:
    The literal translation for Deus ex machina is 'god is the plot device'.
    Changing the word order to ex deus machina, makes it almost 'former god's machinations'.
    AncientsTimeline

Comment

Hmm seems more fitting for battlestar Gallactica
      My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Yes I agree with Sprinkles, I read somewhere, a long time ago, it was a "clever play on words".
        Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
        2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
        3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles
          Changing the word order to ex deus machina, makes it almost 'former god's machinations'.
          in what language?
          Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Latin
            My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Ex means Former in ITALIAN not Latin

From: http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-...it.pl?latin=ex
              ex : (= e ) (prep. + abl.) out of, from within, from / on account of.

Comment

I agree it's a little out there but you could make it fit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1136233 gives you more information.
                AncientsTimeline

Comment

My take on the title Ex Deus Machina is The machine in god, a play on Deus ex machina - god in the machine.

This ep we got cloned god Ba'al - a tool or machine if you will, for the real Ba'al.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Yeah, that works too.
                    AncientsTimeline

Comment

Deus ex machina- god in the machine

Ex deus machina- ex god machine.

Simple, really. LOL

But any way you care to translate it, TPTB were very deliberate in their wording.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles
                        Yeah... that's how I read it too.

-IMF
                        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Deus ex machina ("God in the machine") is actually a plot device made famous with greek plays in which all the unanswered questions and untied plot lines would be just resolved at the end of the play. Although they answered a few questions, I find the title ironic because it raised a lot of questions for me rather than solve them. Like, what was Baal going to do the following day? What are his plans. Does Baal know about Atlantis or the fact that his antartic base has no powwer with his ability to intercept secure Stargate command transmissions.

Also: Tealc said early on that intelligence indicated he was off on some other world. Was that just incorrect or are there actually more Baals off world?

Would Baal like to take over earth, just live here, or destroy it. Does he really like earth as much as he said.

What about that girl, Does she get with every Baal, or just one of them?

Comment

Joe has said that the title was deliberate. You might wander over and ask him for an explanation!
                            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Deus ex machina- god in the machine

Ex deus machina- ex god machine.

Simple, really. LOL

But any way you care to translate it, TPTB were very deliberate in their wording.
                              Too bad the search function is down. This subject was discussed heavily a few months ago when the title was announced, and could have prevented this redundant thread.

Deus Ex Machina is Latin, and literally translates as "a god from a machine". Ex Deus Machina would translate "from a god's machine", which is fitting for Ba'al's activities in the episode.

EDIT: whoops, looks like search is working again.
                              Last edited by Hatcheter; 28 August 2005, 10:01 PM.

a time to mourn

Comment

Working...
                              X