Beneath the Surface (410)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I didn't think O'Neill was hinting they'd be relocated to Earth, but to another, temperate planet. Of course, although it sounded good, it also sounded as if there wasn't much of an infrastructure, which would leave the workers pretty helpless. I mean, do any of them know how to cook? Farm? Hunt? Weave? Spin? etc.

Seaboe
    I would think that there would be all sorts of technical, farming and other kinds of experts from earth sent along with the settlers to help them learn anything they needed to learn to take care of themselves.
    Last edited by hedwig; 17 November 2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Makes you wonder, if we DID relocate them, dif they ever fall to the Ori?

Comment

Maybe instructors sent to the planet would be the best plan - help them to be able to do everything themselves.
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Nirude View Post
          Haha, indeed. This was actually made before Workforce. It's also a little similar to the SG1 season 2 episode "Prisoners", which in turn is kind of similar to "The Chute" from Voyager

Indeed. At least with "Prisoners" it had a more complete and satisfying story.

Not too bad a episode though.
          Agree with the Voyager reference, and like Voyager, it was the alien (Tuvok) that the brainwashing did not work with. I actually saw the Voyager episode first but always felt Voyager borrowed from Stargate.
          "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
            I actually saw the Voyager episode first but always felt Voyager borrowed from Stargate.
            Kind of hard for Voyager to copy Stargate when The Chute aired in 1996 and Beneath The Surface in 2000. That would mean, the powers that be of Voyager travelled to the future, saw the episode and used it to inspire their episode.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Kind of hard for Voyager to copy Stargate when The Chute aired in 1996 and Beneath The Surface in 2000. That would mean, the powers that be of Voyager travelled to the future, saw the episode and used it to inspire their episode.
              Curse me for not researching production/airdates on Voyager. I saw that someone mentioned an epidoe of V entitled 'Workforce' (I tried to find the episode in question but came up empty-handed on my queries) and I'd just made the assumption it was the aforementioned 'Workforce.'

Comment

You are hardly the first to claim Voyager ripped off this SG1 episode. It's like time travel. Science fiction stories do repeat.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I did some research and the realized that the Voyager episode I was thinking of (which I believe to be more like SG-1 'Beneath the Surface') was 'Workforce;' where most of the Voyager crew end up brainwashed and working in various positions on the episode's planet. It shows an airdate of February 2001 with ‘Beneath the Surface' airing in September 2000. Even with this information, the Voyager episode would’ve been pipe-lined and likely already produced/awaiting broadcast at the time ‘BtS’ aired.

The thing that always struck me was how the brainwashing didn’t work on Tuvok, much like it did not take with Teal’c.
                  Last edited by photoglyph; 23 January 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Not much to say about this episode. It has a few funny moments, especially when Jack is remembering things -- Homer anyone -- but beyond that it's a rather boring story.

The subject is interesting enough with the people above keeping the people below as slaves in order to live the perfect society, though they missed the ball by not showing the people above. Are they aware there's an entire workforce below keeping their city safe from the ice, or are they deliberately being kept in the dark? I mean, someone has to notice people are going missing. How else would they be able to maintain their workforce down below. There had to have been more rules and regulations with regards to population control otherwise the dome-city would never survive.

A serious ball was missed with it. The focus on the story below without any sidetracking but this story could seriously use a little more sidetracking.

How would you rate SG-1's "Beneath the Surface?"

Excellent
                    Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible

It's a fair, but really it's moderately OK.

++++++++++++

Finished week 26 a day into week 27 but here are the 3-episode quiz for last week (which also covered week 25, which I already posted): Scorched Earth, Beneath The Surface & Point Of No Return

Jigsaw: Beneath The Surface
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 09 April 2018, 05:35 AM.

Comment

This episode is so boring. It has a classic sci-fi concept but seems to go no where with the whole memory wipe off SG1. It seems unclear what story the writers were going for. This is a rare terrible for me and I got a 666 on the puzzle
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        This is a rare terrible for me and I got a 666 on the puzzle
                        We'll classify that as an appropriate number with regards to the rating you gave it.

Comment

I thought it was funny as well
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

8:15

I'm doing good on average.

Comment

But not as good as me
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                But not as good as me
                                Plenty of time to practice... and many more episodes to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X