No announcement yet.

Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished week 26 a day into week 27 but here are the 3-episode quiz for last week (which also covered week 25, which I already posted): Scorched Earth, Beneath The Surface & Point Of No Return

Jigsaw: Scorched Earth
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My stance on this episode hasn't changed. I'm still greatly disturbed how Jack is willing to kill the Gadmer and sides with the Enkarians from the beginning. Yes the episode is presented as a no win situation but the concept of not considering another species right to live disturbs me. I don't always agree with Daniel's idealism but I do in this episode in trying to hear both sides. Even if the solution is a cop out. I give it a fair as well and I scored 7 minutes and 19 seconds
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

8:41 -- and the Battle of Helm's Deep is fought

Comment

11:07
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

We are both padawans...

Comment

Only one of you is a novice

Its not you FH
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Only one of you is a novice

Its not you FH
                I love you too jelgate.
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Comment

STARGATE : UNIVERSE spoiler

The Gadmeer would be a perfect choice to find an other Icarus type based planets in this galaxy or any other galaxy where they came from as they have already investigated a few thousand planets.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

11:15

This is an okay episode. i did like how Daniel kept trying to find a peaceful solution.

Comment

The word “terraforming” sounded wrong in this episode as it means to change something to sustain human life. But here it was supporting an alien lifeform, so it was not completely right. Probably the writers used it as a meaning as the changing of the planet.

The database of the Gadmeer could have been used for the search of Icarus type planets in Universe as they have checked thousands of planets....

I also could have used them in the Revisions episode, but obviously not every toxic athmosphere are the same.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          The word “terraforming” sounded wrong in this episode as it means to change something to sustain human life. But here it was supporting an alien lifeform, so it was not completely right. Probably the writers used it as a meaning as the changing of the planet.
                          According to the Collins English Dictionary, it can also be used to define the transforming of planets in general. Doesn't necessarily have to be "like terra/Earth".

"planetary engineering designed to enhance the capacity of an extraterrestrial planetary environment to sustain life"

Comment

SG-1 lasted for 10 seasons there are only a handful of truly alien aliens that the audience is introduced to and this episode gives us a fair amount of detail about that alien culture including music and philosophy. I don't like O'Neill in this episode in that as the series went on no matter how many positive alien encounters he had O'Neill seemed to never truly step outside the view that the life of humans is the only priority. Such a viewpoint reminds me of the humans in the Mirror Universe in Star Trek. Yes protect your own, yes try and protect the Enkarans but at what cost-in this case Jack was willing to kill his friend (Daniel) on-board a ship that is the last hope of an entire species.

Comment

Maybe they tried a different side to the character though four seasons in, that may seem like a stretchy theory. I don't know.

Comment

I think this is a great episode.

My only negative feeling about it is that i feel the plot is really an example of 'stargate does star trek...' as at times i feel the show was guilty of.

Stargate was at its best when it found its own identity.

This is a good sci fi episode, but the plot could have been made to work in many genre shows.

Of course, other shows are guilty of this too.

The following episode, 'Beneath the Surface' was ripped off by the Star Trek Voyager episode 'Workforce' only 1 year later...
                                Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                                Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Working...
                                X