No announcement yet.

Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see why some were less than impressed by this one but I rather liked it because, leaving aside the plot (!) at the heart of this episode is the difference between Jack and Daniel (at that time - Daniel's changed a little since then, not drastically, but a little).

So all my comments below refer to Jack and Daniel at the time of the episode and not as Daniel is now:

Jack is military and his first instinct (as Daniel points out in a later episode (Entity, if memory serves)) is to protect -Jack will react defensively and with suspicion and where necessary Jack will attack rather than risk being attacked. He will make hard decisions and will sacrifice the few to save the many.

Daniel is Jack's opposite. Daniel's first instinct is to communicate and is unwilling to resort to violence until every other option has been exhausted. This approach has often brought him into conflict with Jack but on this occaision by going back to the ship Daniel would be blown up if Jack decided to continue with his chosen course of action. Having weighed up his options and realising the number of people that would die if he did not blow up the ship, Jack decided to put his personal feelings aside, unaware that Daniel would find another solution.

I found the clash of personality types fascinating and enjoyed the fact that Stargate SG-1 didn't shy away from making either man unsympathetic at various times. RDA and MS are good enough actors to carry off that sort of challenge.

This is one of those eps that might be worth revisiting once you know you're not watching it for the proper plot - if you see what I mean. Concentrate on the boys reactions to the situation rather than the situation itself and you might find something to like. Honest!

Izzy

Comment

I was working on wallpapers and got this pic.

The flippin' ship has EYES!!!
      You're never too old to do something goofy.
      sigpic
      Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

i dont think it was boring...i liked it very much...
        the Gadmeer!!! so iteresting! what a race!!! i hope we will be able to see them somehow...even if SG-1 cant visit the planet because of the sulfur thing...sad story about them...so smart, good, strong....only to be destroyed...shame...

lol what weird music... i wonder what kind of ears they have...lol...

Comment

Saw the episode again on DVD, is it just me or was that Naquadah bomb that was supposed to destroy the Gadmeer vessel, just a wee bit ... small?

Comment

Originally posted by BnF95
            Saw the episode again on DVD, is it just me or was that Naquadah bomb that was supposed to destroy the Gadmeer vessel, just a wee bit ... small?
            Yeah. If you notice, though, the blast doesn't induce a shockwave. Is it possible the ship beamed it just outside of the planets atmosphere?
            "Those who listen the most experience the least."

Comment

No I noticed this as well I believe the explosion just was far away creating the allusion of its...smallness.
              sigpic

Comment

wouldnt the explosion of the naquadah generator killed the enkarans because of the radiation being released?
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard-VA View Post
                  I did like the resolution between the two races, but there was something about this episode that just didn't "feel" right to me. I'm really not sure what it was, but maybe it was the disagreement between Jack and Daniel. They've had their differences of opinion before, but this time I just thought their reactions to the situation were a bit too exteme..
                  To me that was also a little., strange... WE have seen jack whole heartedly trust his and others lives to daniel before, but it almost seemed as if he was unwilling to even hear daniel out.

Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd
                  This show was IMO rather boring and predictable, you just knew they would find this kind of solution where everybody was happy and well off.
                  While it may have been predictable, i loved how daniel got him to change his mind...

They don't seem to include deleted scenes for some reason or another. I think it would be really cool if they did, that's what the 'Extra Features' are for.
                  I wish they would do more deleted scenes, or possibily even alternate endings to some of the 'oneshots's..

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr View Post
                    I was working on wallpapers and got this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...corched-01.jpg

The flippin' ship has EYES!!!
                    Well, how else is it supposed to see where it's going?

Sorry. Give me a line and I'll rise to it every time...

I agree - it would be fascinating to meet the Gadmeer - of course we'd have to do it in Hazmat suits, which, I guess, means that they'd be fascinated to meet this race of two legged beings that appeared to be made of intelligent plastic and rubber with a head inside.

If nothing else, we could find out how their ears are constructed - just to find out if that music can be made tolerable.
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought this was a very interesting episode. Usually each character has an understandable point of view on most issues, but Jack seemed a little out of character, being too quick to try and destroy the Gadmeer without really considering other options. Daniel was the voice of reason, and found a win-win situation for everyone.
                      It brings up a bit of a moral issue. Do you have the right to destroy others because they are not compatible with your existence? As a general rule the answer would be yes, but in this context they are not necessarily your enemy and an alternative can be found to suit everyone.
                      It was a nice, feel good ending!

Comment

I think there is a bit of a burden of guilt on Jack's part over the fact that the Enkarans are facing extinction on the planet we selected for them. Not to mention the fact that they can only save the population of one village if they do evacuate. Hardly conducive to the continuation of a species if the gene pool contracts that small.

Given that they have so little time, and even with that they can't save everyone, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Jack's response is to go for the quickest, military solution. He doesn't feel he has the time to phutz about with negotiations - not when there are so many lives at stake.

On the other hand, Daniel was lucky that he could get through to Lotan. Not everyone is so accommodating. Had Lotan had less 'self-autonomous' artificial intelligence, then it may be that his programming would simply not have allowed him to deviate from his mission, no matter how many people would die as a result.

But, I agree, it's an interesting moral dilemma - and testament to what can be achieved if everyone at the negotiating table is prepared to compromise for the best (or, possibly, least worst) solution.
                        sigpic

Comment

I know that it was just a tidy loose ends kind of thing, but I did like that Daniel made sure that Lotan had a place with the Encarens on their home world. That was rather wonderful of him....

Comment

IIC it was the blind leader of the village who made the offer for him to join them as a member of the 'village'... not daniel. But i do agree, it was a great way to tidy things up.

Comment

Man the Encarens Suck! Where did they even come from? They were mentioned in an epsiode b4 that, but we never saw the story of where they were from! And why SG-1 care about them so much. Its not like they had much to offer!
                              Finally where they ment to be aliens? As in non Human aliens? Because they come from a homewolrd with no gate and have the radiation issues! If so they suck as Aliens. Worse that most Star Trek "aliens" Just because you make them were yellow contacts dose not m,ent they look like a non huiman lifeform. That makes aleast 5 (humans, ancients, naked mute guys with the plant and nox) to have evolved in this form.

However the other aliens in this epsiode the "gadmeed" or something like that. Nowb they where Excellent! A great big and impressive ship, They looked excellent as the fully CGI humanoid Geeko aliens. and they seemed very intresting, culturally. If i was SG-1 I would say:
                              "screw you Encarens, are goal is to seek out new technologies and powerful allies and we yoiu are not cutting it. However that ginat ship over there hints to a possible, mission complete! C ya yellow eyes"

Its strange that in one epiosde you can get both the rubbish SCI-FI Aliens (Encarens ) next to the super cool sci-fi aliens (Geeko dudes)

Shame we never got to see if the Geekos finnished the terroforming! I wonder if the Ori got to them? I also wonder what the "bad guys" the Geekos where fighting which made them run away!
                              But we may never know
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me
                              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

I do agree it was strange we never heard of them before, and that we cared so much for them, to the point we were willing to try and destroy the Gademmer ship so quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X