No announcement yet.

Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Jack was morally wrong in the episode. Also by blowing up the ship it seems like he would be disobeying a direct order and the result would have ended a race.

I liked the episode but there seemed to be a hundred solutions to the problem. The one they came up with was the first one I thought of. They never asked if the ship could just put the process on hold until a new planet was found. They never asked if a part of the planet could be left alone. They never asked if domed cities could be created to live in. They never asked if the people could live on the ship. They never asked if their physical makeup could be changed to survive on more planets.

Comment

I think the question of "could it be put on hold" was answered in the ep...

Comment

A very interesting episode.

It bothers me that once again, Jack is all too ready to destroy a race in stasis (as he did in The Other Side).

I love George Hammond, but he kind of wimped out in this one, basically telling Jack to come up with his own solution.

A comment was made, to which I whole heartedly agree, that ultimately this episode is about breakdowns in communications, how commonly they occur and how tragic can be the consequences. The whole thing could have been avoided if the SGC investigated the planet more thoroughly before transplanting the Enkarans; if Lothan had mentioned the terraforming process could be suspended to allow negotiations; if anyone in SG1 had asked if the process could be suspended; and so on and so on. I know, the episode would have been dull if any of those things had actually occurred. But it's a reminder nonetheless how much power these SG teams hold when making life or death decision for entire species.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
          A very interesting episode.

It bothers me that once again, Jack is all too ready to destroy a race in stasis (as he did in The Other Side).

I love George Hammond, but he kind of wimped out in this one, basically telling Jack to come up with his own solution.

A comment was made, to which I whole heartedly agree, that ultimately this episode is about breakdowns in communications, how commonly they occur and how tragic can be the consequences. The whole thing could have been avoided if the SGC investigated the planet more thoroughly before transplanting the Enkarans; if Lothan had mentioned the terraforming process could be suspended to allow negotiations; if anyone in SG1 had asked if the process could be suspended; and so on and so on. I know, the episode would have been dull if any of those things had actually occurred. But it's a reminder nonetheless how much power these SG teams hold when making life or death decision for entire species.
          Oh come on, it was a ship full of biological samples, not actual people (or whatever kind of creatures the Gadmeer were) in stasis! In this episode it was like a race of people vs. DNA samples from dinosaurs.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Oh come on, it was a ship full of biological samples, not actual people (or whatever kind of creatures the Gadmeer were) in stasis! In this episode it was like a race of people vs. DNA samples from dinosaurs.
            Which doesn't mean they should be automatically destroyed.

The point I'm making is that there was a better solution all along, but because of miscommunication and Jack's tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, they almost wiped out an entire race (either the Gadmeer if the bomb worked, or the Enkarans if it didn't).

Comment

The point I'm making is that there was a better solution all along, but because of miscommunication and Jack's tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, they almost wiped out an entire race (either the Gadmeer if the bomb worked, or the Enkarans if it didn't).
              I made a similar argument before. It seemed ethically wrong for Jack to automatically side with the Enkarians without even considering the Gadmer's right to live
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

But it does fit in with out way of consistently putting our foot in our mouth before engaging our brain..

I made a similar argument before. It seemed ethically wrong for Jack to automatically side with the Enkarians without even considering the Gadmer's right to live
                Well when you look at Earth history, it is rife with us siding with 'humans over' anything we consider not human.. So why not there?

Comment

Us siding with our own kind is not ethically right. Just because we have done it before doesn't make it justifiable.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

But that's who O'Neill is. He is the kind of person who sees things in black and white and over a people he has got to know and likes, versus one doesn't he will always choose the former. You see it throughout the series. He even is quite willing to let an even civilization perish if he feels they are not worth saving (Red Sky).
                    This is the character quality which I most miss in later seasons of SG-1. Part because it puts him at odds with the rest of the team, which I like, but also because it's more believable. He's a life long soldier, and if he sees a threat he will want to eliminate it, particularly if it is against his team or others he is attached to.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

O'Neill very military and Daniel is the good one - again.
                      Nice people on that planet and a very sympathetic artificial life form with self-awareness.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

I really enjoyed the conclusion to this one.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Us siding with our own kind is not ethically right. Just because we have done it before doesn't make it justifiable.
                          No it doesn't justify it, but it does show how most scifi shows seem to treat humans vs anything non-human..

Comment

If they had sacrificed the humans it wouldn't have been right either.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

How do we solve the problem where one planet is being used as the intended new home for two very different civilizations? One is super advanced and has been reduced to tissue samples and collected on an arc. The other is moderately, technologically advanced, is still alive and well and has recently been relocated there out of necessity. Do the Gadmeer take precedence over the Enkarans because they are the most advanced and therefore the best possible civilization to put there, or is it the Enkarans who've lost the way to their homeworld and simply want to rebuild after having been enslaved by the Goa'uld?

It's an interesting, ethical question but it doesn't keep my attention long enough to want to think too much about it. On top, we have Colonel O'Neill who decides the Enkarans are the ones who have more rights to the planet than some frozen samples do, and orders Carter to build him a bomb powerful enough to stop the ship, and possibly destroy it in the process. At the same time we have Daniel doing what he does best, trying to convince Lotan to think outside of his programming, and have him stop the terraforming. It's an honorable thing to do and I would side with Daniel. Even if there hadn't been another way, and the reactor-turned-bomb would have been needed, at least Daniel tried to reason with Lotan, using the Gadmeer's own philosophy of peace against them. Smart move.

Anyway... interesting as it may be, I wasn't particularly entertained.

How would you rate SG-1's "Scorched Earth?"

Excellent
                                Good
                                Fair
                                Poor
                                Terrible
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X