Scorched Earth (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was a filter episode.
    I agree it is a filler episode, but it is a fairly good one - it's another one where the characters are faced with the moral thing to do. Jack's character surprised me in this one - bombing a ship, just didn't feel right to me, but it was one of those catch-22 moments, until Daniel swooped in. I enjoyed the episode overall.

Do we ever hear about the Gadmeer aliens again?
    Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
      I agree it is a filler episode, but it is a fairly good one - it's another one where the characters are faced with the moral thing to do. Jack's character surprised me in this one - bombing a ship, just didn't feel right to me, but it was one of those catch-22 moments, until Daniel swooped in. I enjoyed the episode overall.

Do we ever hear about the Gadmeer aliens again?
      As with other individuals and races, we never hear of these again.

Comment

Personally, I get so tired of the "we don't here of this person, race, world again" complaint.

If SG-1 revisited everyone and every place fans think they should have we would have stopped exploring by the end of season three because every episode would be another follow-up visit.

I think it's great that there are "loose ends" so to speak. It not only gives scope to the imagination it also adds realism to the notion that there are dozens of teams going on hundreds of missions through the stargate day in and day out. While SG-1 takes the frontline, first contact role.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Just rewatched this one - I liked it better this time around. I did however think the Gadmeer alien looked an awful lot like the Pokemon Mew II

Comment

The underlying ethical conflicts and their resolution made this an excellent episode as far as I am concerned. Just too bad we don't hear again from the Enkarens and Lotan again. Apparently a stargate isn't necessary because Lotan's ship travels very fast! And I wonder how fast that would be.
              Nice how most episodes show the scenery of British Columbia as the backdrop for so many alien planets.......

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                So that gives Jack the right to kill a whole species because they arrived second?
                There is no morally perfect solution in these sorts of situations so I prefer to fall back on pragmatism. The Enkarans were up and about and would have been wiped out themselves had the ship been allowed to just keep going. Daniel's stunt was an insane gamble that I never thought would work till it actually did. Jack couldn't afford to sit on the fence. If Daniel's stunt hadn't worked 'a' race would have been wiped out. End of.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                  There is no morally perfect solution in these sorts of situations so I prefer to fall back on pragmatism. The Enkarans were up and about and would have been wiped out themselves had the ship been allowed to just keep going. Daniel's stunt was an insane gamble that I never thought would work till it actually did. Jack couldn't afford to sit on the fence. If Daniel's stunt hadn't worked 'a' race would have been wiped out. End of.
                  And doing what Jack did if successful would have killed the Gadmer. I acknowledge that under the intial circumstances it was a no win in that one species would. I just take issue of how Jack automatically sides with the Enkarians without considering the Gadmer. They have a right to live too.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I just take issue of how Jack automatically sides with the Enkarians without considering the Gadmer.
                    It isn't that unexpected that he would; we generally side with that which we know and is familiar over that which is not.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Is there any possibility of building a stargate from scratch for the purposes of giving one to people like the nice Enkarens??

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                        Is there any possibility of building a stargate from scratch for the purposes of giving one to people like the nice Enkarens??
                        Not for Earth. We've seen the Tollans build their own gate, but it's way above our heads. They could take one from another planet though, preferably with a DHD otherwise you'll need a dialing computer and enough power.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                          It isn't that unexpected that he would; we generally side with that which we know and is familiar over that which is not.

Seaboe
                          Maybe not. But I still find it wrong to not even consider the other side. Its not even out of character for Jack. I just do not like what he did
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

This story fascinated me because we have three different levels of cultural development. One one side we have the largely agrarian Enkarans and on the very opposite side we have the very alien looking, very highly developed Gadmer.

In the middle we have the Earth folk. I like that the Gadmer are not big meanies which would make it easy to hate them and root for the simpler, likeable, look-like-us Enkarans.

A great dilemma with the usual cast behaving perfectly in character.
                            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

And doing what Jack did if successful would have killed the Gadmer. I acknowledge that under the intial circumstances it was a no win in that one species would. I just take issue of how Jack automatically sides with the Enkarians without considering the Gadmer. They have a right to live too.
                              The Gadmeer were effectively on life support. Now I'm as anti-euthasia as you can get but I wouldn't expect a fully-functioning individual to give up their life in favour of someone on life support. Jack saw the Enkarans as friends and he was respecting his friends' wishes "make sure we're able to stay on this planet for we have nowhere else to go".
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                                Personally, I get so tired of the "we don't here of this person, race, world again" complaint.

If SG-1 revisited everyone and every place fans think they should have we would have stopped exploring by the end of season three because every episode would be another follow-up visit.
                                It doesn't require entire episodes to follow up on past worlds:

• It can be as simple as a couple of lines of dialoge: "Isn't this a cool new medical device the Orbanians designed? Yeah, the exchange program is working well."
                                • It can be a ten-second clip of another world's ambassador ending a conversation and leaving the briefing room, before the current story's briefing gets underway.

For this episode, Scorched Earth, I would have enjoyed a few lines of dialogue about the possibility of future relations with the Ganmere:

Daniel: We'd like to get to know the Ganmere after they're re-established.
                                Lotan: The Ganmere will contact you in time. They'll be grateful that you found a way for their world to be re-born without destroying another people.
                                Daniel: How long will the terra-forming take?
                                Lotan: Many, many years.

Ah, so now I know not to expect any follow-up, and there's a good reason as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X