Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Scorched Earth (409)

boring episode...

This was a decent episode. Not bad, but not particularily good either.

It seemed rather random how they jumped in with the Ancarans. The name sounds familar to me but I can't think of how (maybe the Watergate reference someone mentioned but I thought we had seen MORE of them earlier). I would have liked to know where and how SG1 found them originally, how they found the new planet, etc. It was a beautiful planet, too -- made me sad to think of it becoming sulfurized!

One thing they didn't really bring up in the episode was the fact that the Gadmir were on the planet FIRST. The Ancarans had not yet arrived when the Gadmir started terraforming (or at least that was the impression I got). So yeah, it sucks for the Ancarans, but it's their and SG1's fault that a more complete scan of the planet wasn't performed, which would have detected the giant alien ship.

I think the whole idea of a sulfur based ecosystem is fascinating, but I have questions about it as a quasi-chemist. I doubt that it would be very stable. This might mean that organisms have short life spans and/or high metabolisms. It also doesn't completely make sense to have sulfur be the base element for life the way it is for carbon. It's not even in the same periodic column! They should have chosen silica instead. Or perhaps they should have gone for the tagline that it was sulfur that was replacing the role of oxygen, but that the aliens were still carbon based.

Regarding Jack etc, I was impressed by his conviction, regardless of whether or not he was morally 'right' in his determination to blow up the alien ship. He didn't back down, he ordered Sam to make the bomb (which she did, like a good little soldier...although not without some emotional difficulty, which Amanda portrayed very well) AND he would have blown up Daniel to save the hundreds (thousands?) of Ancarans. I really like that about Jack. He's very solid and he doesn't waver.

Hey, someone anonymously gave me some good rep for the above post. I'd love to know who so I can thank you. So if you read this, thanks!

This is about the only episode where I find Daniel annoying.

I loved this episode. Even though you had that conflict it came clear to show not only that There was also a good slolution for the problem at the end but with the idea of the android was very good. I miss Lotan I want to see him again. and maybe the Gadmeer could reappear in the future in battles against the Orrii .
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

This one was good, but as others have said, not great. One thing, why didn't they try to see if the Nox could help settle the Enkarans on some planet and provide some kind of shielding that would limit the radiation they were affected by.

Second Lieutenant

For some reason it is one of my favorites.
    Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
    Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

I liked the way they resolved this episode but it was a bit of a struggle getting there. It was almost like a moral story they were trying to get across--violence doesn't work--type rubbish!
    Loved the alien ship though!

This seemed to take so long just to do one thing why? because Jack wanted to blow it up and Daniel wanted to save it!

Second Lieutenant

Yeah, I loved the alien ship.......and hey not of the best episodes but they did have the stargate three: 1)going off-world the majority of the episode 2) team interaction with aliens/culture 3)after they get off-world, the team splits upo and does their own thing to solve what ever the problem at hand may be

I can see why some were less than impressed by this one but I rather liked it because, leaving aside the plot (!) at the heart of this episode is the difference between Jack and Daniel (at that time - Daniel's changed a little since then, not drastically, but a little).

So all my comments below refer to Jack and Daniel at the time of the episode and not as Daniel is now:

Jack is military and his first instinct (as Daniel points out in a later episode (Entity, if memory serves)) is to protect -Jack will react defensively and with suspicion and where necessary Jack will attack rather than risk being attacked. He will make hard decisions and will sacrifice the few to save the many.

Daniel is Jack's opposite. Daniel's first instinct is to communicate and is unwilling to resort to violence until every other option has been exhausted. This approach has often brought him into conflict with Jack but on this occaision by going back to the ship Daniel would be blown up if Jack decided to continue with his chosen course of action. Having weighed up his options and realising the number of people that would die if he did not blow up the ship, Jack decided to put his personal feelings aside, unaware that Daniel would find another solution.

I found the clash of personality types fascinating and enjoyed the fact that Stargate SG-1 didn't shy away from making either man unsympathetic at various times. RDA and MS are good enough actors to carry off that sort of challenge.

This is one of those eps that might be worth revisiting once you know you're not watching it for the proper plot - if you see what I mean. Concentrate on the boys reactions to the situation rather than the situation itself and you might find something to like. Honest!

Izzy

I was working on wallpapers and got this pic.

The flippin' ship has EYES!!!
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Second Lieutenant Thor of The Asgard's Avatar

i dont think it was boring...i liked it very much...
    the Gadmeer!!! so iteresting! what a race!!! i hope we will be able to see them somehow...even if SG-1 cant visit the planet because of the sulfur thing...sad story about them...so smart, good, strong....only to be destroyed...shame...

lol what weird music... i wonder what kind of ears they have...lol...

Saw the episode again on DVD, is it just me or was that Naquadah bomb that was supposed to destroy the Gadmeer vessel, just a wee bit ... small?

Chief Master Sergeant Unorthodox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnF95
    Saw the episode again on DVD, is it just me or was that Naquadah bomb that was supposed to destroy the Gadmeer vessel, just a wee bit ... small?
    Yeah. If you notice, though, the blast doesn't induce a shockwave. Is it possible the ship beamed it just outside of the planets atmosphere?
    "Those who listen the most experience the least."

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow1 Re: Scorched Earth (409)

No I noticed this as well I believe the explosion just was far away creating the allusion of its...smallness.

Lieutenant Colonel 2ndgenerationalteran's Avatar
    In the back of your neck, controling your brain

wouldnt the explosion of the naquadah generator killed the enkarans because of the radiation being released?
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard-VA View Post
    I did like the resolution between the two races, but there was something about this episode that just didn't "feel" right to me. I'm really not sure what it was, but maybe it was the disagreement between Jack and Daniel. They've had their differences of opinion before, but this time I just thought their reactions to the situation were a bit too exteme..
    To me that was also a little., strange... WE have seen jack whole heartedly trust his and others lives to daniel before, but it almost seemed as if he was unwilling to even hear daniel out.

Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd
    This show was IMO rather boring and predictable, you just knew they would find this kind of solution where everybody was happy and well off.
    While it may have been predictable, i loved how daniel got him to change his mind...

They don't seem to include deleted scenes for some reason or another. I think it would be really cool if they did, that's what the 'Extra Features' are for.
    I wish they would do more deleted scenes, or possibily even alternate endings to some of the 'oneshots's..

Quote Originally Posted by Jynjyr View Post
    I was working on wallpapers and got this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...corched-01.jpg

The flippin' ship has EYES!!!
    Well, how else is it supposed to see where it's going?

Sorry. Give me a line and I'll rise to it every time...

I agree - it would be fascinating to meet the Gadmeer - of course we'd have to do it in Hazmat suits, which, I guess, means that they'd be fascinated to meet this race of two legged beings that appeared to be made of intelligent plastic and rubber with a head inside.

If nothing else, we could find out how their ears are constructed - just to find out if that music can be made tolerable.

I thought this was a very interesting episode. Usually each character has an understandable point of view on most issues, but Jack seemed a little out of character, being too quick to try and destroy the Gadmeer without really considering other options. Daniel was the voice of reason, and found a win-win situation for everyone.
    It brings up a bit of a moral issue. Do you have the right to destroy others because they are not compatible with your existence? As a general rule the answer would be yes, but in this context they are not necessarily your enemy and an alternative can be found to suit everyone.
    It was a nice, feel good ending!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast