No announcement yet.

Calling all Scots!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So then, I'll just leave this here, shall I?

sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Hehehe That's a cracker of a photo, BruTak.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I had an absolute blast at Edinburgh Comic Con at the weekend.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Question - have any of you guys ever heard of a Scottish wedding tradition that involves giving the bride and groom a load of pennies?

It came up in the episode of "Scorpion" I just watched, and I'd never heard of it before.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Question - have any of you guys ever heard of a Scottish wedding tradition that involves giving the bride and groom a load of pennies?

It came up in the episode of "Scorpion" I just watched, and I'd never heard of it before.
            The only time I've heard of using pennies at a wedding is when I was a wee girl and there was always a 'pour-oot' or 'scrammie', when pennies and other small change was thrown out of the bride's car as she left her house on the way to the church.
            The groom and bride's maids probably did the same thing from their houses too. I think some brides/grooms would have a 'scrammie' as they were leaving the church after they were married.
            Perhaps in some parts of the country, people would give the pennies to the bride and groom so they could throw them out for a 'scrammie'?

All us bairns would scramble on the ground for the money that had been thrown out.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I know of the scramble, I participated in a few when I was a kid.

But this in this case, it's the groom being given two rolls of pennies (one cent coins, given that this is a US show) and told it's "an old Scottish tradition".
              sigpic

Comment

Right then, I will - hopefully - be in Edinburgh on the evening of Wednesday August 16th for a talk at the Book Festival.

Any of you East Coast folks fancy meeting up for a drinkie beforehand?
                sigpic

Comment

Finally got my scanner up and running again, and scanned in a photo I got at Edinburgh Comic Con back in April.

Ronnie Beaton: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Bru, I'm playing with a jazz band in the Guildford Arms (9pm - midnight) on the 16th. Maybe you can pop in after your book festival talk?

I love the Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. photo.
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday BruTak.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thankies. ????
                        sigpic

Comment

Anyone else going to MCM Comic Con in the SEC next month?
                          sigpic

Comment

Right, that's me sorted out for Edinburgh Comic Con next month.

Convention ticket? Check.
                            Hotel room booked? Check.
                            Train tickets bought? Check.

Also going to see a band - Public Service Broadcasting - at the Usher Hall on the Saturday evening of the con.
                            sigpic

Comment

And dates for Edinburgh Comic Con 2019 have just been announced.

Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th April.
                              sigpic

Comment

So what do we think? The second fire at the Glasgow School of Art in the space of four years.

A tad suspicious, no?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X