Judgment Day (122)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review

Wow, it feels like its just begun and it's season finale time already (maybe is because I didn't have to wait for a new episode to be published ).

Immediately things get off to a great start with Sivok appearing. Will he betray the Draque, or will he watch as our heroes get their asses kicked.

The teaser ending with a huge Draque army is one hell of a way to kick off the finale!

The Vorian fleet agreeing to defend Ultera meant that there was going to be a massive battle, the episode built nicely towards the big confrontation.

The Nebulon appearance was for some reason unexpected, in all the excitement of the big preparations for war I'd forgotten all about them. once more they prove to be mysterious and announce that one of the team will be leaving the path. My bet was on it being Sivea, for some reason I thought that it might mean that one of the team was going to turn traitor.

Another Ancient site is mentioned, one that contains the secrets of the origins of the universe. Sounds pretty darn epic, an indication of Season Two's objective? Or perhaps a longer term arc for the series? Either way its good to lay some more groundwork for the future.

The Draque fleet turning out to be truly massive was a welcome moment, it seemed like it was going to be not such a difficult fight after all. The battle really brought a sense of the epic to the episode.

I was suspicious of Sonak as soon as he showed up, and the suspicions were confirmed when he shoots Tom! That was unexpected.

However I was constantly thinking, What the hell are the Nebulons doing? They take Grant out of the action completely! They show him what's going on and don't let him do anything about it. He could have appeared back in the room and killed Sonak thus preventing him activating the inter-dimensional device! They keep going on about destiny and yet this was clearly a direct intervention in Grant's life and the lives of everyone in that battle. In one swift action the Nebulons have gone from an interesting element to utterly annoying! Vague prophesizing and

Sivok's actions were a little confusing. Couldn't he have acted a bit earlier and been a bit more helpful? And he escaped (the Nebulon says so) How and where to?

I found myself not terribly concerned that Tom was gone, it was a shame we didn't get to know him more, though I suspect we'll be seeing him again.

A farewell to Lenori too. I've not been his biggest fan but I hope his departure isn't permanent.

Where were the Enoly? I'd expected them to come charging into the big battle and cause a whole heap of trouble, but they never appeared, which was a bit disappointing considering their goal in the season was to get to Ultera and use it for their own evil purposes.

The final cliffhanger though was quite a good one that I didn't see coming at all. Though I wonder how Williams got there, and where exactly this mysterious meeting was taking place.

Overall then, I can't help feeling a little bit disappointed. The conclusion felt pretty weak in comparison to all the epic build up. The Nebulons bizarre behavior went a step beyond weird and interesting and into the realms of plain annoying. Grant ended up doing absolutely nothing, despite his big destiny being mentioned throughout the season. The episode felt like more of a standard one (with the exception of the HUGE battle) rather than an outstanding explosion of action and revelations that was expected. Maybe extending it out into a two-parter incorporating the Enoly in some way would have been of benefit. Ultera itself, after being built up so much, turned out to be fairly ordinary.

I read through the "Making of Collision" and found it to be an interesting insight into how the episode was put together and the thinking behind it.

And now Season One is over. Far from perfect, but no series is ever perfect, particularly in its first season. Standout episodes for me were the "Enoly Trilogy" brilliantly written and really made me want to see in on screen. "Collision" also comes to mind. The season created a lot of threads to follow up and set out the mythology for the season in great style. And there is plenty to look forward to and plenty of storylines to follow up on in the future.

A job well done to everyone involved with the series, thank you for an enjoyable read. Roll on Season Two!
    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed a lot of the episodes in season one. A lot of people say that season two "kicks it up a notch," so I look forward to reading your comments about the next 24 episodes. At this rate, you'll be caught up before we know it.

As for the Nebulan, they do work in mysterious ways, and that must include taking Grant out of action. We'll surely learn more about them in the near future.

As for how Sivok escaped, perhaps he'll tell us the next time we see him.
      Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
      Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
      Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
      Stargate Destiny, Fan
      Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by cheese
        Grant ended up doing absolutely nothing, despite his big destiny being mentioned throughout the season.
        Just to address this briefly, that big destiny never referred to merely this season, but much rather the entire series actually. Does this mean that we might discover what his real destiny is in the series finale? Who knows? Hopefully that's still many years into the future, but still, who knows? Probably only the Nebulan at this point.
        Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

this episode...and the hole season 1.....to put it simply - kicks ass

can't wait to start reading season 2

In the middle of my backswing!!!

Comment

*Do Not Read If You Don't Want To Be Spoiled*
            Jelgate's Two Cents

If I told you this episode was good, I be lying. This spectactular and everything a season finale. Where do I start? I very much enjoyed the tension between Sivok and Tarok. Neither one of them trusts the other one. One thing does puzzle me. If the Sentienls are still alive, aren't they able to see that Sivok betrayed them. All I can say about the Vorain and Draque battle is WOW!! Quite a concidence that the Valiant didn't I don't think Grant has piloted that ship once since the pilot episode. Speaking of Grant, I wonder what makes him spectuclar to the Nebulans. So we found another ZPM. Too bad about Tom. He scarificed his life to stop the Draque fleet and prevent the Sentinels from entering our reality. I never did like Sonak, but I never thought he would become a traitor. It will be interesting to see if he and Sieva ever met up again. Theres a old saying, "All Good Things Must Come To An End." With Lenori leaving for the Tok"ra and Tom dead, the Horizon station. The very end was very suspenseful that I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Good thing, I don't have to wait.
            Questions/Quotes

1)Why do the Draque ships not have chairs
            2)Was that the same Gen. Williams from the pilot and has someone been genetically altered to look like Gen, Williams
            Lenori:I believe luck is merely a way to justify events which have gone well for either one or a group of individuals.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

You can really see how you're writing as evolved over the course of the series. Some sections of dialogue feel a bit clunky at times and Torak wasn't a very good character IMHO but that was the main thing that stood out to me. I rather enjoyed the episode. Had some interesting implications.

I do believe the comments about the Ancient's research into how the universe began are what you'll be exploring soon.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                You can really see how you're writing as evolved over the course of the series.
                I definitely agree. And this was actually a huge improvement compared to the pilot. Once the series is finished, I'll definitely be going back to do a new version of the pilot and probably even several Season One episodes. But I won't have the time to do that until after the series has wrapped.

I do believe the comments about the Ancient's research into how the universe began are what you'll be exploring soon.
                That's quite possible.

Comment

And you'll have to remind me, was Williams a clone?

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
                  I definitely agree. And this was actually a huge improvement compared to the pilot. Once the series is finished, I'll definitely be going back to do a new version of the pilot and probably even several Season One episodes. But I won't have the time to do that until after the series has wrapped.
                  Which ones? The Enoly arc?
                  Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 30 May 2010, 03:09 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    And you'll have to remind me, was Williams a clone?
                    No, this was the real General Williams. He was undercover and working with the same organization that Saunders was with in Season Three. That was revealed in "The Devil To Pay" in Season Two.

Which ones? The Enoly arc?
                    Possibly, but certainly the earlier episodes. Some of the dialogue could be a little better here and there. But it's possible actually that all of Season One will eventually be re-released, and some episodes would have more changes than others.

Comment

every time i try to download the episode I get some random site the is clearly not realated to stargate horizion can someone help please?

Comment

http://saturn.afmu.com/~virtec20/Season1.zip

This is all of Season 1. A new site is on the way soon.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X