• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Cultures... (105)

OTHER CULTURES...

Episode: 1.05
    Original Air Date: December 2nd, 2004
    Written by Alex Rubit

As an alien ship comes through the Spacegate, the Horizon team makes contact with the peaceful Ventorians. Things take a turn, as Chase finds himself in trouble regarding an unconventional Ventorian law.

Visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage to download the episode, then stop back here for discussion.
    Outstanding
    52.94%
    Good
    35.29%
    Fair
    11.76%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

It's quite a comical episode, the interactions between Chase and Arina are very funny. Arina seems almost like Vala which also adds to her charm(this aired before PU though so coincedance)
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Another good. I guess I'm getting use to reading a story this way. It seem to fimiliar to other scifi stories I have seen and read but a little different.

Comment

I really liked this one. A lot. If you read one episode of Horizon, make it Awakening (so you know what the hell's going on). If you read two, make 'em Awakening and Other Cultures. This here is gold.
        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
        Stargate Destiny, Fan
        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

I'm glad you liked this one. Be sure not to forget it.

NOTE: If missed, please see subtle hint above.
          Rocky

Comment

The first few episodes of the 'show' seem to take alot of elements from Enterprise. I mean, come on, this episode reminded me of the one where Trip (also the Engineer), got it on with an alien, but didn't really and he ended up being pregnant with her child. A few things are changed about, but the episode was overly similar.

I'm just glad you didn't give Chase a nipple on his arm.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHart
              The first few episodes of the 'show' seem to take alot of elements from Enterprise. I mean, come on, this episode reminded me of the one where Trip (also the Engineer), got it on with an alien, but didn't really and he ended up being pregnant with her child. A few things are changed about, but the episode was overly similar.

I'm just glad you didn't give Chase a nipple on his arm.

I am totally baffled as to why people keep drawing parallels between this show and Enterprise. I mean, it is not as if Star-trek was 100% original to begin with (IMHO), in fact the opposite is true, especially in it's later incarnations. Furthermore, although we might be Sci Fi buffs over here, it is easy to forget that, for example, this theme of falling in love with somebody in a different culture which ends up producing mass confusion and mistrust in both parties has been explored IN TONS of other literally genres which absolutely have nothing in common with Sci Fi. All I am trying to say is that, even if somebody out there realizes that there might be something in an episode that seems eerily familiar to them then I ask them to kindly consider the fact that no author on the planet (in any genre) can claim to be unbiased and 100% original. I think that there is no such thing as 100% original because we are humans after all. Each author, and reader, has been exposed to a multitude of different works and experiences in his/her lifetime which will undoubtedly influence both their judgments as well as their works. Without turning this post into a philosophical debate any further, I would just like to remind people that if one was to critique and peel back the layers of any work of fiction then you will find parallels that can be made to a multitude of different works. Just because you think that show x is more original than show y that might not necessarily be the case. It might be that you haven't yet experienced a similar theme in show z, eventhough it is out there. Sorry for my babbling but I just felt like I had to get this out of my system. I certainly meant no disrespect to anybody out there. Obviously everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and I am totally cool with that
              PS. This was a very good episode guys that is sometimes comical and other times very serious and dark. Way to go guys
              Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
              ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
              <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Thing is, the earlier episodes DO take parrells from ST, whether you'd like to say it, but that doesn't make it any less better. Even though the earlier episodes are like ST, it does soon evolve and run in a totally opposite direction.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                  Thing is, the earlier episodes DO take parrells from ST, whether you'd like to say it, but that doesn't make it any less better. Even though the earlier episodes are like ST, it does soon evolve and run in a totally opposite direction.
                  A is an appropriate answer here! BTW I just pmed you. Bye for now
                  Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                  ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                  <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Liked the episode. Only problem was the grammer and spelling errors. (Does anyone proof read these?) Just kidding. Can't wait to start the next one.
                    Have A Nice Freakin Day!

Comment

Originally posted by McKay_help_us
                      Liked the episode. Only problem was the grammer and spelling errors. (Does anyone proof read these?) Just kidding. Can't wait to start the next one.
                      Glad you enjoyed the episode.

Actually at the time this episode came out, no one was actually proof reading the scripts. We were only a little staff made up of three people. While everyone read the scripts and offered suggestions and notes, we didn't have an actual proof reader, which I think shows in the first few episodes.
                      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Awesome ep, it was funny right from the start and it had all the very cool maniacal potical nutjobs and the schemeing hehe

when they were sabotaging the shields it reminded me of season 1 of SG-1 when they were destroying Apohis' shields

Bratac: we must climb down he ladder and using our staff weapons...

O'Neil: no we just use grenades

BOOM

shield down lol

great epi i can't wait until i can find the time to read 1.06 and 1.07 hehe Tollan and Aschen (always wondered what happened to the Tollan)

Comment

Im not a big fan of those episodes unfortunetly, but I still love this episode. Arina is the original Vala. This episode came before PU!
                          sigpic

Comment

I couldn't stop laughing at the part where Arina was hitting on Chase. Personally, I really liked the episode.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by Elles
                              I couldn't stop laughing at the part where Arina was hitting on Chase.
                              You might wanna be more specific. What I also like about this episode is that it's us getting visited for once, which is something that doesn't happen a lot - And what's even better is, we're being visited through the Spacegate!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X