• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starship Lost (103)

STARSHIP LOST

Ep. 1.03
    Written by Alex Rubit
    Original Air Date: November 11th, 2004

The team discovers a ship crashed on a moon in the Triangulum galaxy. A non-corporeal life form follows them back through the gate and remains on Horizon. While the strange alien seems to have a special interest in Christine, the station faces another threat that could lead to its destruction.

Visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage to download the episode, then stop back here for discussion.
    Outstanding
    23.81%
    Good
    57.14%
    Fair
    14.29%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    4.76%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

this is one of my favorite episodes actually, one of the exploration ones where we explore the characters and the situations this series can bring up.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I thought this one was just a little better than the first one. I enjoyed the enitity that wanted to go home. When it was at Horizon, it didn't do any damage and even offered to help them shut the gate off. I'm glad they help him/it go home. I wish to them more as an allied.

Comment

This story reminded me too much of an early episode of Enterprise, where the chinese translator chick is having trouble adjusting to life in space, and feeling like she isn't needed on the ship... and then she translates something to save everyone, which changes her mind, and gets her to remain on the station. And Dr Lenori is very similar to Phlox, in that he is seemingly intrigued by human foods and has a high outlook on life...

Plus, everyone is all "oooh, ahhhh, look at that! WOW!" like they were on Enterprise whenever they saw something they've never seen before. You'd think that these people who have been assigned to Stargate Command, and have travelled to other planets already wouldn't be like that.

Good episode regardless of that, but still reminds me too much of Enterprise to rate it all that high.

Still... naked Rachel Leigh Cook in a shower is a plus.

Comment

This was a good episode in my opinion. It is similar to SG: Atlantis' episode 102 (or 103 if you consider the pilot to be 2 episodes) in some ways yet different in others. This is also a good episode that teases us a bit with regard to the "shadow's" writings and to a slight degree their culture. A nice way to exit the pilot and prepare for the year to come
          Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
          ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
          <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

This was a good starter episode. Character depth, ect.. Hope they get a little mor interesting though.
            Have A Nice Freakin Day!

Comment

Oh, it will. Don't worry, wait till you hit Season2, thats where it gets amazing.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

That was awesome, some real aliens now hehe, fur balls and space bugs YIKES!! and its good for once that the bad guys aren't human or close to human but more alien

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
                  This was a good episode in my opinion. It is similar to SG: Atlantis' episode 102 (or 103 if you consider the pilot to be 2 episodes) in some ways yet different in others.
                  yeah but the non-corporeal being was well malicious

Comment

Not as good as the pilot, but a pretty good first "normal" episode.

This should keep me going until the new seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis start.

Comment

Review:

"Starship Lost" is overall better than the pilot, there is character development and the first adventure for our intrepid new team.

AS with the previous episode there is a severe feeling of Deja-vu about this "Starship Lost". The first scene made me instantly go "oh no, it's just another copy of Enterprise". The rest of the episode didn’t really do anything to dispel this first impression. The character development with Christine was identical to Hoshi's character in episode 1.03 of Enterprise, "Starship Lost" clear takes its structure and basic plot from that episode. It's really really not on to just go through a series (especially since is so well known!) and just lift the episodes from it with little tweaks and adjustments.

Again it was the original elements of the episode that worked best the bad bugs were cool.

Again there was prose in the script, but not so much this time.

There were some bits of that horrible nonsensical dialogue again.

A few questions/points also came up.

Its set a month after the pilot, which seems a bit of a long while. Its then said that they've made 6 dialing attempts in this time, why so few?

It's implied that the Horizon crew have been randomly dialing. Then its said that they're getting them out of the dialing computer. This seems to make no sense in the established stargate universe. It feels like the technobabble has just been lifted from an episode of Stargate without the writer not knowing what it means. Things are further muddied by the mentioning of a Vorian Cartouche, I don't think it was mentioned at any point before.

One of the characters mentions a Stargate on the ship is something new, which it isn't it's been seen a number of times in SG-1.

Grant, as the station commander (though, surely the Vorians would want Sivea in command at least??) wouldn't go on missions. Him going on missions is like Hammond or Weir going on missions. Sure the odd one might require the boss, but as standard procedure?

Grant says he's always careful, then he brings a completely unknown alien device aboard Horizon. It could have been a big bomb for all he knew! Or something else malicious, and it was found on a ship that's crashed with no crew so its a fair bet it's something dangerous!

Wow those bugs were super super smart considering they managed to override the 38 min window with seemingly no advanced technology...

The energy being traveling through the wormhole was a big ARG! moment. Completely ignores the rules of Gate travel.

How does an incoming wormhole decide which Horizon gate to go to?

And as an aside that occurred to me what would happen if a spacegate dialed to a normal gate and the spaceship went through?

Overall, not great, and again largely due to the copying of Enterprise. And the poor spelling and grammar is kind of an insult to readers, if the creators can't be bothered to read and edit episodes then why should readers bother reading them?

1 out of 5
                      I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by cheese
                        Review:

"Starship Lost" is overall better than the pilot, there is character development and the first adventure for our intrepid new team.

AS with the previous episode there is a severe feeling of Deja-vu about this "Starship Lost". The first scene made me instantly go "oh no, it's just another copy of Enterprise". The rest of the episode didn’t really do anything to dispel this first impression. The character development with Christine was identical to Hoshi's character in episode 1.03 of Enterprise, "Starship Lost" clear takes its structure and basic plot from that episode. It's really really not on to just go through a series (especially since is so well known!) and just lift the episodes from it with little tweaks and adjustments.

Again it was the original elements of the episode that worked best the bad bugs were cool.

Again there was prose in the script, but not so much this time.

There were some bits of that horrible nonsensical dialogue again.
                        Boy, I wish we had these kind of detailed reviews for our current episodes. Not to say that it's not interesting to see them for the early ones, but it would be great to see MORE of them. Maybe eventually...

A few questions/points also came up.
                        I'll try and answer the questions.

Its set a month after the pilot, which seems a bit of a long while. Its then said that they've made 6 dialing attempts in this time, why so few?
                        If I remember correctly they only had a limited amount of gate addresses to begin with. I, honestly, don't remember the exact reasons; but I know it was mentioned somewhere in there.

It's implied that the Horizon crew have been randomly dialing. Then its said that they're getting them out of the dialing computer. This seems to make no sense in the established stargate universe. It feels like the technobabble has just been lifted from an episode of Stargate without the writer not knowing what it means. Things are further muddied by the mentioning of a Vorian Cartouche, I don't think it was mentioned at any point before.
                        Don't remember that either. Sorry, but it's been ages since I've last glanced at these episodes.

But I can assure you that the writer does detailed research when it comes to technicalities; be it gate-related technobabble, dreams, even amnesia for one episode, etc. You name it.

One of the characters mentions a Stargate on the ship is something new, which it isn't it's been seen a number of times in SG-1.
                        They were referring to discovering a gate on a ship when going on an off-world mission.

Grant, as the station commander (though, surely the Vorians would want Sivea in command at least??) wouldn't go on missions. Him going on missions is like Hammond or Weir going on missions. Sure the odd one might require the boss, but as standard procedure?
                        It was a slightly different way of them handling things during Season One. Grant was officially the station commander, but he'd also go on a lot of missions witht the team.

As to the Vorians wanting one of their own people in charge, who knows, maybe they will eventually.

Grant says he's always careful, then he brings a completely unknown alien device aboard Horizon. It could have been a big bomb for all he knew! Or something else malicious, and it was found on a ship that's crashed with no crew so its a fair bet it's something dangerous!
                        They knew for a fact that it wasn't a bomb. They were aware that it's just an Ancient device of some kind, which on SG-1, teams have even brought back to Earth.

Wow those bugs were super super smart considering they managed to override the 38 min window with seemingly no advanced technology...
                        They were, indeed, intelligent life forms.

The energy being traveling through the wormhole was a big ARG! moment. Completely ignores the rules of Gate travel.
                        It went through an incoming wormhole, if I'm not mistaken? And I think the reason it could do that was that matter and energy can travel through wormholes in both directions.

How does an incoming wormhole decide which Horizon gate to go to?
                        The Stargate and Spacegate have different addresses.

And as an aside that occurred to me what would happen if a spacegate dialed to a normal gate and the spaceship went through?
                        That would be... bad.

Overall, not great, and again largely due to the copying of Enterprise. And the poor spelling and grammar is kind of an insult to readers, if the creators can't be bothered to read and edit episodes then why should readers bother reading them?
                        That's a really good question. But I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that one.
                        Last edited by Alex Rubit; 29 August 2006, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Good episode.

Not my favorite and i dont know if ill read it again but it was pretty good.
                          sigpic

Comment

another interesting one, i like how you sort of wonder threw out the episode if the alien was actually a goody or a bady and how it revolved around a certain character.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge300491 View Post
                              another interesting one, i like how you sort of wonder threw out the episode if the alien was actually a goody or a bady and how it revolved around a certain character.
                              Again, glad you liked it. And good to see you're reading on.

Comment

Working...
                              X