Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awakening, Parts One and Two (101 & 102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awakening, Parts One and Two (101 & 102)

AWAKENING, PARTS ONE AND TWO

Ep: 1.01 & 1.02
    Written by Alex Rubit
    Original Air Date: November 4th, 2004

As a mysterious species known as the Draque shows up on Earth and attacks a research facility, Colonel John Grant, along with a newly formed team is sent on a mission to find the Draque, learn what their intentions are and hopefully prevent future misunderstandings with them.

Visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage to download the episode, then stop back here for discussion.
    Outstanding
    34.72%
    Good
    36.11%
    Fair
    15.28%
    Poor
    2.78%
    Terrible
    11.11%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

I have to say, you guys really know Keifer Southerland and Ben Browder. Their parts are written amazingly well and true to their styles. Brilliant.
    Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

Grr gotta post all my comments over again. I liked this episode, Chase is really funny but as like the first time I read it there are noticable Enterprise similarities but that doesnt matter anymore due to the great writing of the series. Chase is a great character and its a brilliant episode and as always when reading it...I find thor thinking: "oh god, not again" -to getting kidnapped.

Why dont you post a direct link to the episode aswell? be that little extra helpful also you can drop by the horizon forum aswell and post....we dont mind do we alex...
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It's a good episode -

But the Enterprise parallels are really OTT a lot of the time - it almost felt as if I was reading a copy of the Broken Bow script with new names stuck in. And this is why I gave up on the series - the first time around.

The second time around - the glaring similarities are still obvious but I made it through the script.

My only other problem is - it's pretty confusing about what is going on with the gates and why they go to that area of space to begin with.

Comment

Well as the season has developed the similarites are far and few between, the odd ones but the Gates arent that confusing.
          sigpic

Comment

For me they were - for the life of me I still don't really understand why they head to that area of space.

As far as I understand it -

A stargate existed on the Vorian homeworld - they found it but they moved it to the Horizon station.

And the Horizon station just happened to be where a spacegate existed - and the spacegate and the Vorian stargate are linked up to a secondary network of gates that exist both in our own galaxy and Triangulum.

But this doesn't seem to be quite right - if it is, then it's me being confused.

More of my problem stems from how they find the station - and surely the Vorians would have known about the Draque if they had been on the station and the Draque had been using the spacegate.

Comment

No they discovered the co-ordinates to a Gate on the Vorian homeworld in the Ancient Outpost so they thought it was important, headed off, got side tracked by the discovery of Horizon. The spacegate and the normal gates are the only ones in our galaxy that link to the Triangulum.
              sigpic

Comment

So they found the co-ordinates of the Vorian homeworld somewhere on Earth and they head there - they get sidetracked and find Horizon which now has the Vorian gate on it.

Is that right ? I know there was something about the moving of a gate.

Comment

Yes they moved the gates to Horizon because it was a science station. Been a while since you read it?
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't read it yet.Is it interesting?
                    Probably it is similiar to Atlantis...

I love both, Sam and Elizabeth. I'm just looking forward for the fourth season.
                    IT'S GONNA BE HUGE!

Comment

Read it and find out.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Terminus
                        So they found the co-ordinates of the Vorian homeworld somewhere on Earth and they head there - they get sidetracked and find Horizon which now has the Vorian gate on it.

Is that right ? I know there was something about the moving of a gate.
                        They discovered the coordinates inside the Ancient outpost, and these coordinates lead into Vorian space. They were found along with writings, describing how to find this Ancient artifact: The Circle of the Ancients.

The Vorians moved the Stargates away from their homeworld for saftey reasons, after they had found a way to compensate for changing the gates' possitions in space. Because of the religious beliefs a lot of Vorians have regarding the Ancients, there was a lot of debate about them using Ancient technology. Eventually the Vorian Stargate Program ended up being cancelled shortly after it had began, and the Horizon station was about to be taken down. That when the pilot kicks in.

So this is the whole backstory, which is told over the course of the pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by illuminarok
                          I have to say, you guys really know Keifer Southerland and Ben Browder. Their parts are written amazingly well and true to their styles. Brilliant.
                          Thanks. Being a huge fan of 24 I'm of course very familiar with Kiefer.

I should probably mention that technically Ben Browder was "cast" on Horizon before he was cast on SG-1. By the time Horizon premiered, we of course did not know Ben was going to on SG-1 as well. So, it's kind of a strange coincidence if you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminus
                            It's a good episode -

But the Enterprise parallels are really OTT a lot of the time - it almost felt as if I was reading a copy of the Broken Bow script with new names stuck in. And this is why I gave up on the series - the first time around.

The second time around - the glaring similarities are still obvious but I made it through the script.

My only other problem is - it's pretty confusing about what is going on with the gates and why they go to that area of space to begin with.
                            You'll find that really after the pilot the show started to develop its own style and it's own direction. I guess you can find similarities with the Enterprise pilot to some degree, but the rest of Season One is very, very different from anything else actually.

It's a funny story how this all came together actually. Suffice it to say that when I first started working on this series, I never considered that it would be published, let alone in the extent in which it's been released now. It was more like something I was just playing around with in my free time. It wasn't before summer of 2004 that I finally had aquired internet access, and I discovered that there's such a thing as virtual series. Then I thought: hm, this could work.

From that point on the first S1 concepts were developed, I started getting a staff together, and working toward launching the series. That part all happened in a very short amount of time, which is why we were still finding our ways early on.

I'm very happy with how these ways turned out, and how the characters and storylines evolved. I hope you'll check it out, and I hope you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Yes it really did turn the other way round, as Alex might remember I was very critical of the Enterprise similarities to start with, but having seen how different its got...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X