Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1660
  1. #1421
    Major General discodiva's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hope Zee
    Posts
    11,111

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    People will always try to make the most of their few moments with their favoured stars and as long as it is in good taste, with some gentle banter and good humour I see no reason why not wear a catchy t-shirt or something with (again tasteful) a relevant slogan....most of you know me by my trademark "stripes" in my brightly colored hair....sure, it gets me recognised and remembered by some guests (others not)....however I hasten to add that's how my hair has been colored for over 5 years now and at all times during the year, con or not - and I ain't gonna change it until every bit of hair on my head is pure white!!..

    I paid a LOT of money and flew a LONG way to attend my Vancouver Conventions and I'm going to make the most of my brief amount of time I get with any guest - again within the bounds of tastefulness and decency!!...however that's all I do - I only ever spend my alloted time during the official event...I have never attended a meet and greet or event outside of those I've paid to Creation for.....I consider maximising my time with Michael, Joe and or any of the others fair game within that timeframe but never outside of it.......I'd never volunteer either - prefer sitting around outside of panels, signings, photo ops, in the bar with my mates or shopping in Metropolis!!...


    Oh and the piccies at the MS run with Michael and Lexa?.....discussed beforehand and double checked we'd not be intruding as we were still in the area on our vacay, wanted to show our (and MSOL's) support and because it was a normal public event for normal public people...

    Bloody wet there it was too!...


    Deeds xx

    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

  2. #1422
    Major General Gate Geek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Watching Shep's Six
    Posts
    12,914

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    I volunteered for a Con. What did I do? I was a door monitor. I still had to pay full price for my ticket to the Con and I missed quite a few of the actor panels due to my volunteering duties. But I knew that was all part of the game and I reveled in the delight of just being accepted as a volunteer!

  3. #1423
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by discodiva View Post
    People will always try to make the most of their few moments with their favoured stars and as long as it is in good taste, with some gentle banter and good humour I see no reason why not wear a catchy t-shirt or something with (again tasteful) a relevant slogan....most of you know me by my trademark "stripes" in my brightly colored hair....sure, it gets me recognised and remembered by some guests (others not)....however I hasten to add that's how my hair has been colored for over 5 years now and at all times during the year, con or not - and I ain't gonna change it until every bit of hair on my head is pure white!!..

    I paid a LOT of money and flew a LONG way to attend my Vancouver Conventions and I'm going to make the most of my brief amount of time I get with any guest - again within the bounds of tastefulness and decency!!...however that's all I do - I only ever spend my alloted time during the official event...I have never attended a meet and greet or event outside of those I've paid to Creation for.....I consider maximising my time with Michael, Joe and or any of the others fair game within that timeframe but never outside of it.......I'd never volunteer either - prefer sitting around outside of panels, signings, photo ops, in the bar with my mates or shopping in Metropolis!!...


    Oh and the piccies at the MS run with Michael and Lexa?.....discussed beforehand and double checked we'd not be intruding as we were still in the area on our vacay, wanted to show our (and MSOL's) support and because it was a normal public event for normal public people...

    Bloody wet there it was too!...


    Deeds xx
    And that's what I think too. I like to wear stuff that is a representation of me. If a guest likes it or comments on it, the then that's just a bonus! And if they REALLY like it and ask where I got it then I'll tell them or offer to send them one (if where I got it was somewhere I know they wouldn't get to) if they minded I do so. For some, they may wear stuff as a way of standing out to the guests and making them remembered by the guests, which I don't really have a problem with as long as it is in acceptable taste, and they don't go overboard to the point of literally flaunting themselves. In fact it had never occured to me to actually wear anything to get noticed by the guests. I have however been selective of what to wear when getting my photo ops but that is because it will be something seen by myself and others for a long time.
    As for getting their attention or spending time with them, I don't really see myself as that type. I too will only take of their time at scheduled events or if they initiate it. Sure I will make small talk in the halls or in the line at Starbucks (there was a Starbucks in the bottom of the hotel we were in for GateCon '08) or what ever, but wouldn't want to intrude.

    And always ask first for things like photos and such. I know that they are at the con, but I still like to make sure that they are ok with photos and such as they have a right to their personal space too.
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

  4. #1424
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,910

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gate Geek View Post
    I volunteered for a Con. What did I do? I was a door monitor. I still had to pay full price for my ticket to the Con and I missed quite a few of the actor panels due to my volunteering duties. But I knew that was all part of the game and I reveled in the delight of just being accepted as a volunteer!
    same here. I knew i'd miss stuff going in and I accepted it. no harm, no foul

  5. #1425
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    same here. I knew i'd miss stuff going in and I accepted it. no harm, no foul
    It's like my vollunteer job at the drop-in. My main job is to be there for the guests (the people that frequent the drop-in). Share in conversation, play games, serve a meal etc. Hanging out with the other vollunteers is secondary. Much like it would be at a con with the "guests". Everyone who vollunteers at any kind of con is going to miss stuff. The trick is a balance to everything so that all the vollunteers can do a little of the things that they did come to the con for.
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

  6. #1426
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,910

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    And most organizers are aware that volunteers don't mind missing some but that they haven't signed up to be total slaves all weekend, so they work to balance the 'doing a job' wiht 'attending the event you paid to attend'

    cause if they want someone that'll miss the whole thing, they should hire people that have no interest in the con

  7. #1427
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    And most organizers are aware that volunteers don't mind missing some but that they haven't signed up to be total slaves all weekend, so they work to balance the 'doing a job' wiht 'attending the event you paid to attend'

    cause if they want someone that'll miss the whole thing, they should hire people that have no interest in the con
    And of course one of the nice things about the cons, is the vollunteers who enjoy them as much as the rest of the atendees.
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

  8. #1428
    Colonel EH-T's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The land of SG1, Atlantis and Sanctuary!
    Posts
    6,763

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    And most organizers are aware that volunteers don't mind missing some but that they haven't signed up to be total slaves all weekend, so they work to balance the 'doing a job' wiht 'attending the event you paid to attend'

    cause if they want someone that'll miss the whole thing, they should hire people that have no interest in the con
    IIRC there is one volunteer at AT events who is not a fan of Stargate and Sanctuary. It is because of her that other volunteers don't miss the goings on.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aronbw_rev.jpg

    Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

  9. #1429
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by EH-T View Post
    IIRC there is one volunteer at AT events who is not a fan of Stargate and Sanctuary. It is because of her that other volunteers don't miss the goings on.
    That is nice of them to vollunteer so that others can enjoy events.
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

  10. #1430
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,910

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    yep, there are soem like that. Often friends of hte organizers, etc, who come to the con and work it with zero expectation of taking part

    also, for volunteers, most shifts are 2-3 hours at a time, once or twice over the weekend

  11. #1431
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    yep, there are soem like that. Often friends of hte organizers, etc, who come to the con and work it with zero expectation of taking part

    also, for volunteers, most shifts are 2-3 hours at a time, once or twice over the weekend
    Then that's not too bad. I could live with that. Better to have plenty of vollunteers doing just a few hours over the weekend rather than just a limited number who have to do a lot of hours of the con.

    And with only having to give that kind of time, I may think of offering to vollunteer at a con. Would probably be a great way of working through my "social" issues. (Me having mild anxiety attacks sometimes in large crowds of strangers that I don't really know).
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

  12. #1432
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,910

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    for many people, having a duty to focus on can help alleviate any social problems. because you're not there to socialize, you're there to do your duty

  13. #1433
    The Official Toe Wiggler
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    Rosehawk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On my way to the Moon!
    Posts
    15,589

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

    I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

    Okay, enough said!

    www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

  14. #1434
    Colonel Arctic Goddess's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alberta CANADA and hugging Cliff Simon.
    Posts
    7,383

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Rosehawk, please don't tell me that happened at the Minneapolis convention....

  15. #1435
    Major General BruTak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    4077th M*A*S*H
    Posts
    11,273

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosehawk View Post
    Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

    I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

    Okay, enough said!
    Yeah, the actors are there to enjoy themselves as much as you are.

    If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

    Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

  16. #1436
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,910

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    that's just sad. If you don't like the actor or actor's show....keep it to yourself and leave them - and their fans - be.

    The actors can't change a bit about the show. Seriously, there's more than one story about how the actors can have an issue with something their character is doing and the writer/director ignores them to do what's in the script....so leave them be. they're just folks making a living.

    the selfishness amazes me. Ok, so you - the general you - don't like a show....the whole world must change to cater to your whims????? Folks, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean others also don't, so leave them be and let them enjoy.

  17. #1437
    Colonel EH-T's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The land of SG1, Atlantis and Sanctuary!
    Posts
    6,763

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosehawk View Post
    Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

    I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

    Okay, enough said!
    Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Yeah, the actors are there to enjoy themselves as much as you are.

    If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    that's just sad. If you don't like the actor or actor's show....keep it to yourself and leave them - and their fans - be.

    The actors can't change a bit about the show. Seriously, there's more than one story about how the actors can have an issue with something their character is doing and the writer/director ignores them to do what's in the script....so leave them be. they're just folks making a living.

    the selfishness amazes me. Ok, so you - the general you - don't like a show....the whole world must change to cater to your whims????? Folks, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean others also don't, so leave them be and let them enjoy.
    I agree. Especially since the actors have given up their free time to come and meet with the fans. Nice way to thank them.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aronbw_rev.jpg

    Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

  18. #1438
    Major General BruTak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    4077th M*A*S*H
    Posts
    11,273

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    I'm off to a con at the end of next month, Constellation 2010 in the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow.

    Myself and members of SG-999 will be part of the security team, so people had better be on their best behaviour.
    Otherwise there will be...trouble.

    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

    Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

  19. #1439
    Lieutenant Colonel Switch42's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    In the Impala. Cruising with the boys.
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosehawk View Post
    Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

    I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

    Okay, enough said!
    OK. That's just ridiculous. I will admit, I don't like SGU. It's just not my thing. So when Sunday (SGU Day) rolls around at the Chicago Con in August, you know what I'm going to do? Not attend. It doesn't interest me. I don't know what's going on with the show so any questions that get asked will just have me confused. So, yeah. I'll be checking out of the hotel and heading home early. It's not that hard to not attend the panels you don't care about.

  20. #1440
    Captain SG7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anywhere listening to ScottGrimes' Album"Drive"
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Convention Ettiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

    Quote Originally Posted by EH-T View Post
    I agree. Especially since the actors have given up their free time to come and meet with the fans. Nice way to thank them.
    Ditto. I am always saddened when I hear things like this. Next thing you know, the guests will just stop accepting invites to attend the cons. While some shows may be very good and allow the actors to have some imput into their character's development, and kudos to those that do. Many do not. For most shows I would not be surprised if they don't get to give any imput and are just given the scripts and that is that.

    Can't fault the actors for stuff that happens that is beyond their control. They are just like you and me trying to make a living doing what they love.

    Quote Originally Posted by Switch42 View Post
    OK. That's just ridiculous. I will admit, I don't like SGU. It's just not my thing. So when Sunday (SGU Day) rolls around at the Chicago Con in August, you know what I'm going to do? Not attend. It doesn't interest me. I don't know what's going on with the show so any questions that get asked will just have me confused. So, yeah. I'll be checking out of the hotel and heading home early. It's not that hard to not attend the panels you don't care about.
    Bingo! If a fan has nothing nice to say then don't say anything. And if they don't like the show then they don't have to attend the panels. At least then, those that do enjoy the show along with the guests can enjoy the panels. I'm sure the guests understand when you say that one show was your favorite over another. But to just bash their show. And worse bash it with no real explanation is disrespectful to both the guests of that show and rest of the fans.

    I remember when SGU just started airing. And I was on BamBam's Q&A thread and had mentioned something to him that I didn't like in a particular episode. However I went on to explain that I still loved the show. And went on to expain that while I didn't like the one particular element, doesn't mean that it was bad. Can't remember exactly how I had said it. But he then replied back that he was thankful how respectful I was of the show even with stuff I didn't like. There is ways of giving constructive criticism or voicing dislike without being completely disrespectful.
    Last edited by SG7; June 15th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for NYC
    By lordofseas in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: August 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
  2. I need some help or advice please
    By Billz in forum Doctor Who
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
  3. Movie Etiquette For the Socially Inept
    By skarwolf in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
  4. Naming etiquette ?
    By The Prof in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
  5. Advice for the Day
    By Seastallion in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: November 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •