No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh thank god i found this thread! Im going to have to read it all the way from the beginning but i have to say:..Who doesnt shower before they go out?? Especially if they are meeting...well, SG people!!

Lovebar made by natz099
    My LJ * Forgotten-Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireJewelledQueen
      Oh thank god i found this thread! Im going to have to read it all the way from the beginning but i have to say:..Who doesnt shower before they go out?? Especially if they are meeting...well, SG people!!
      cute Sapph...
      i read this thread awhile back b4 going to the Torri con.... it was a blessing....
      ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

OMG, I've read *most* of this thread and wow.

I've NEVER been to a con...the only time I considered going was to MediaWest, which isn't even with actors, but a friend asked and I would've loved to go, but DH was deployed in Iraq while it went on so there went that option...anyway...

This was an eye opener. I've been considering going to one, and I'm still kind of thinking about it. I've got a couple of good friends who've been asking me to come to Chicago for a while, and another online support group that I've been with since stationed in Iceland (9 years ago!) and I think the timelines match up...but I'm really on the fence.

Do the actors really enjoy these? It's not a pain to have to meet and greet all these people you don't know? I have a hard time imagining but then again, I've never been.

Autographs and things, knowing me, I'd lose them anyway, and really it's just penmarks, the experience is what would be fun. Getting to hear stories about the making, filming and production. Hear what so and so did during this episode, etc. That's what would be great about it.

And gifts...well, I do have these American flag patches. When my hubby was on the Global Hawk program (the UAV), it was after 911 and well, won't say much but when they went somewhere and did somethings, he put some patches in the plane, and they flew on missions over Afghanistan, and he's got these certificates printed to go with them, and which ship the patches flew on, including one of the planes that went down (while he was working that particular shift also)...but I think you have to be into that sort of thing to appreciate the piece of history it represents. Right now, we've only given them to his brother and a dear friend that supported him with tons of emails and well wishes when he was deployed in Baghdad. It might be something the Stargate folks would think was neat, but if they didn't, it'd be a waste of that little bit of history.

So, I don't know...but I do know it'd be unique!

I'm going to read the list of do's and don'ts and reading this has made me consider going more and more. Sure sounds like fun even with the crowds and occassional whacko's.
        sigpic

Comment

they are fun. and so is media west. some friends and i are going this coming year
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Are there any conventions that feature a lot of the sci-fi shows? I love Trek, BSG, Stargate, Farscape, Firefly...basically most of the scifi shows. It'd be awesome to get to go to one that featured a lot instead of only one show.

I'm thinking of MediaWest also...going to a con that's all about meeting the actors and things is a little intimidating. Going where it's only fans might be a good idea for the first one. An actor one would be neat, but I'd be afraid to say anything to them because it'd be imposing on their time LOL...

Course, DH's schedule might limit anything. He goes TDY a lot when he's not deployed. We're stationed away from family so no one around that I'd leave the kids with to go, and no way would I drag all of these munches with me. The oldest one would get a kick out of it, the youngest one would probably hide behind me, and the middle two would chase each other around with light sabers - so, no, they would not be going!!!
            sigpic

Comment

there are a ton of cons out there, most of which i don't know

timeless destinations is the new name of Gatecon and takes place in vancouver. they're now a multi-genre con. There's also a comic con in san diego which has tv actors in it

the non actors ones can be fun simply because they're usually cheaper and a good way to get your feet wet without the fuss of an actor

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                there are a ton of cons out there, most of which i don't know

timeless destinations is the new name of Gatecon and takes place in vancouver. they're now a multi-genre con. There's also a comic con in san diego which has tv actors in it

the non actors ones can be fun simply because they're usually cheaper and a good way to get your feet wet without the fuss of an actor
                Timeless Desitnations huh? Hmmm...might keep my eye out Thanks for the heads up!

Lovebar made by natz099

Comment

What are metalic sharpies?? Sounds dangerous!

Comment

sharpie markers that write with metallic ink

sigpic

Comment

That sounds cool

Lovebar made by natz099

Comment

Sharpie is the brand name?
                        Permanent marker right?

Good idea!

Comment

yeah, sharpie is a brand name. it's a permnant marker that'll write on just about anything

sigpic

Comment

yeah, sharpie is a brand name. it's a permnant marker that'll write on just about anything
                            Oh excellent. I might have to look for those here...

Lovebar made by natz099

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireJewelledQueen
                              Oh excellent. I might have to look for those here...
                              Get an Artline one, same thing

Comment

I'm thinking of getting my costume autographed. Think any of the actors are gonna have a fit about that?

Comment

Working...
                                X