No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the organizer do this before the convention and communicate this to their goers, there isn't a real problem.

This local one, I'm talking about has over 20K visitors a day, and we all know up front what's permissable and what's not, and if you aren't sure plenty of people to ask and plenty to help sort it out.

Good communication is key though.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think partly its also because the cosplay scene has just expanded so much in the past few years, that con organisers are being caught on the hop by how popular it's become.

The first con I ever went to was the Glasgow Comic Art Convention in 1990. The only people I remember seeing in costumes of any kind were those who were participating in the cosplay competition (or Fancy Dress as it was back then).
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG
        Being in Phoenix, AZ, there are many attendees who don't speak, write, or understand American English. Another issue....since I've lived in this city and state since 2001.
        I live in a bilingual country, where the official languages are Dutch and French, with German on the side, and English used when applicable. Though our language rules are one big mess half the time and are here to confuse you at all times of the day. Plenty languages to choose from though.

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG
        *This was the first year without volunteers which is the main reason for this guy to get in. Volunteers for line and access control and for other visual oddities could've prevented this.*
        Do you really think volunteers would have been able to pluck him out of a line? He was dressed as the Punisher. He'd be just another congoer to them, unless you're trained to recognize odd behavior or nervous behavior, you don't look for signs that anyone's out there to kill or hurt other people.

Comment

I think, none of us were there. And it's easy to 'monday morning quarterback'. Easy to see meaningful things after the fact.

I also think if someone is determined to do bad things, they find a way.

I remember watching the movie Patriot's Day, which is about the Boston Marathon bombing. A lot of people saw little things before, someone walking by with a backpack (which is not uncommon at races), an abandoned backpack, etc. No one really thought about things until after the worst happened and they started scanning camera footage and putting two and two together.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I remember watching the movie Patriot's Day, which is about the Boston Marathon bombing. A lot of people saw little things before, someone walking by with a backpack (which is not uncommon at races), an abandoned backpack, etc. No one really thought about things until after the worst happened and they started scanning camera footage and putting two and two together.
            When you know, you know the things you saw were indicators but before anything happens, or has happened they are just bits of normality.

And anyone who thinks having all those soldiers walking around at airports, who could know better recognizing threats. They aren't -- they are there for your false sense of security.
            Nevertheless, they are great to ask directions. Very helpful and to admire their gear (and to pity them fully dressed standing in the sun -- cause damn, that must be hot).

Comment

IMHO, the soldiers are there to intimidate the timid bad guys, shorten response time if something does happen.....and yes, make the average folks feel more secure.

We have what they call a secure building....you need a keycard to get in or must go past security. THe expectation is, at one of the keycard doors, if an employee sees someone without an ID card we stop them and ask them what they need and direct them to the public entrance.....I'm not gonna confront some random person. I'm not getting paid to be security. I will, however, not use that door if they are there or only use it if I can get through and get the door shut forcing them to use their own card....aka passive confrontation.

Expecting volunteers to confront people is a bit much I feel. Notice something and call for the paid security, sure.

But even beyond this, if someone really wants to do something, they will.

sigpic

Comment

Here in the UK, we're not accustomed to seeing armed police on our streets.

But having said that, I'm old enough to remember the first Gulf War, and there being armed police, soldiers, and armoured vehicles deployed at Glasgow Airport.

It didn't bother me then, it doesn't bother me now.

At any and all events I attend, I check their policy on replica weapons well in advance, and again nearer the time of the event in case anything changes.

My next event will be Glasgow Comic Con on the 1st of July, and just to be on the safe side, I'll be "unarmed".
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  At any and all events I attend, I check their policy on replica weapons well in advance, and again nearer the time of the event in case anything changes.
                  It's one of the reasons, though, I made the conscious decision to not use my replica weapons any longer when going to conventions. My main costume, which is also the most complete, is my SGA/SG1 outfit, with P-90 and sidearm. Both are broken down and completely useless to be used as actual weapons (unless you intend to clonk someone over the head), but they look very real, and can be confused with the real deal.

The only ones I still use, or started using is the spraypainted silver toy Winchester (I think) for my Jurassic World outfit, and my made-from-scratch alien gun for my D.E.O. Alex Danvers inspired outfit. Both fake as hell, one plastic, one cardboard.

And beyond that, I use wooden swords, shields and a bow without arrows for my fantasy outfits.

Comment

I'm considering buying a replica Smith & Wesson M&P for my S.H.I.E.L.D. agent cosplay, but the one I'm looking at is made of rubber and has an orange tip.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      Here in the UK, we're not accustomed to seeing armed police on our streets.

But having said that, I'm old enough to remember the first Gulf War, and there being armed police, soldiers, and armoured vehicles deployed at Glasgow Airport.

It didn't bother me then, it doesn't bother me now.
                      What's funny, I was in London for some of th Gabit events, and sightseeing is when I'd see the armed men with automatic weapons strolling around buildings or Heathrow and of course in front of Buckingham palace....as an American, I saw more weapons being brandished openly on the streets of london than I do on the streets of America.

Granted that was years ago and times have changed now but it still amused me that the land of unarmed bobbies displayed more hardware than then land of the 'cowboys'

I don't have an issue with trained personnel carrying arms. I work too much with police and the highway patrol to have that squick. I do have an issue with the idea that any Tom, Dick or Harry that wants to (in my opinion) enhance their manhood and carry one around like it was a fashion item......however that's probably not a tangent for this thread to go into.

In this day and age of edgy people and officers, if I were cosplaying any weapon I would carry would be VERY obviously fake. In fact if I were running a costume competition I'd eliminate weapons from the judging criteria.
                      That or, if it were a specific show's costume party, supply the fake weapons....so if it were a SG1 costume event, participants are all handed the same fake P90 as they go on the stage and hand it back over when they leave the stage.

sigpic

Comment

It's common sense really. Don't go waving a replica weapon around anywhere even remotely like a public place.
                        sigpic

Comment

Very much so. Just like, if you don't want to get mugged, then don't flash your cash and wear blingy jewelry.

Don't ask for trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, this is why I roll my eyes when I see people at gigs filming the thing on iPads.

They might as well be hanging a big sign round their necks saying "I have lots of money and zero common sense. Please mug me."
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              In this day and age of edgy people and officers, if I were cosplaying any weapon I would carry would be VERY obviously fake. In fact if I were running a costume competition I'd eliminate weapons from the judging criteria.
                              That or, if it were a specific show's costume party, supply the fake weapons....so if it were a SG1 costume event, participants are all handed the same fake P90 as they go on the stage and hand it back over when they leave the stage.
                              Most cosplay weapons are fake anyway these days -- either made out of resin, or rebuild nerf-guns, or toyguns. Or cardboard like mine.

For example, I own the templates for a cardboard replica of Captain Reynolds gun from Firefly, and Rey's tiny grey gun from The Force Awakens. Home-made DIY awesomeness. And I can assure you, when you're making it yourself, and then it's finished, you can be all proud. Up close, it might like a bit iffy but that doesn't really matter after all.

Comment

Another "be aware" advisory for the UK convention scene - a guy by the name of Robert Burns (no, not that one).

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...uddly-11539703

This one's kind of personal for me. Back in the days of the Scottish Star Trek Cons, he was part of the group I hung around with and went drinking with.

I haven't seen him in nearly twenty years, and it was only by chance that another friend from the old days told me about what Burns had done.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X