Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
    Not sure how any of us survived the 70's/80's.
    We would build a huge bonfire for Guy Fawkes Night on the waste ground behind our terraces. There was always a den and the parents always warned us we would all burn to death if someone set fire to it prematurely. One year the kids from over the other side of the railway (literally, on the wrong side of the tracks), DID set fire to ours on a Sunday night (while we were watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium) and the fire brigade had to come and put it out. Fortunately, no one was in the den at the time...
    We each got exactly one box of Standard Fireworks per household and our collective Dads would take turns setting each box off, one at a time, so we could all see each others. Except the Catherine wheels, which they would let off all at the same time at the end, singing the garages they were pinned to. We played with sparklers and Mums various doled out parkin and treacle toffee. It was communal, cheap and great fun (and I'm tearing up a bit, Mum is still with us but Dad had a devastating stroke when I was 14 and died when I was 21, a long time ago, I'm 53 this year, but I still miss him and all the 'Dad' things he did).

FF
    Gosh this discussion brings back memories. Guy Fawkes night, that was amazing how no one thought twice about waving sparklers about. My memory is of my dad putting the firework rocket in the milk bottle and then running like hell and me with my sister and brother excitedly watching and waving sparklers. No one thought anything about going back and seeing if dud fireworks were really duds after waiting for a bit. It was a busy night for the fire brigade that's for sure. A garage or shed would invariably burn down!

As for toy and replica weapons, it is a shame that events have made people become fearful of things that no one gave a second thought to 30 40 years ago. Being a 'Tom boy' growing up I always had the toy swords and guns, one which was quite a hefty metal one that fired 'caps'. That would be considered dangerous now as it threw out bits of burning material when the hammer hit the 'cap'!!!

With all this I too wonder how we survived the 60's, 70's and 80's! lol.

Comment

Yeah, lead based paint on everything, food full of additives, being booted out of the house at the first sign of good weather and told "Go and play outside.", actually "missing" a TV show because you forgot it was on (or mum and dad were watching something else). No VHS tapes, or DVDs, or iPlayer or anything like that.

You kids don't know how lucky you are.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

An advisory for those of us on the UK convention scene.

Derek Hartley AKA Del Hart (his cosplays include Superman, Sherlock, and the 12th Doctor), has been jailed for 12 months for possessing indecent images of young children.

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/...hame-1-4125600
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          An advisory for those of us on the UK convention scene.

Derek Hartley AKA Del Hart (his cosplays include Superman, Sherlock, and the 12th Doctor), has been jailed for 12 months for possessing indecent images of young children.

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/...hame-1-4125600
          Not many, if any, of offenders are reported in the US. Cosplay, with ultra heavy makeup and costumes, create a subterfuge for these &@!^*

Comment

I've known of him for a couple of years via Facebook and Glasgow sci-fi group The Valiant, and saw him at one or two events, MCM Glasgow and Edinburgh Comic Con.

He seemed to be a nice enough guy the two or three times I met him. But then again, who can tell?
            sigpic

Comment

This 2016 Stargate Convention in Chicago in September will be my and my husband's first convention. We are so excited! We have a few questions: 1. Do we dress up everyday or just Saturday? 2. How can we meet (online before hand) other fans who are going to the same convention so that we could hang out in a group at the convention? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by musicalkat View Post
                This 2016 Stargate Convention in Chicago in September will be my and my husband's first convention. We are so excited! We have a few questions: 1. Do we dress up everyday or just Saturday? 2. How can we meet (online before hand) other fans who are going to the same convention so that we could hang out in a group at the convention? Thanks!
                1) Not entirely sure what you are referring to there? Is there a themed party or something?

2) I have a feeling there will be a thread about in the Stargate Fandom section of this forum where you can talk to people who are going. And get excited and plans to meet up.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by musicalkat View Post
                  There is usually a thread for each convention.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/9...eptember-23-25

Welcome to the obsession, lol,
                  Slam

Parsippany NJ Twilight Creation 2013** ~~~ NYCC 2010/11/12** ~~~ Wizard World New York City Experience 2013* ~~~ Los Angles CA Xena Creation 2014? ~~~ Los Angles CA Grand Slam Creation 2014? ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Star Trek Creation 2012/ 13** ~~~ Philadelphia PA Wizard World 2009/11/12/13** ~~~ Las Vegas NV Star Trek Creation 2014? ~~~ Orlando FL Star Wars Celebration 2014? ~~~ Parsippany NJ Supernatural Creation 2012/13* ~~~ Parsippany NJ Vampire Diaries Creation 2013? ~~~ Chicago IL Stargate Creation 2009/12/ 13* ~~~ Dragon*Con 2011/12/13* ~~~
                  (* planned) (** booked) (? maybe)
                  Vancouver BC Stargate Creation 2008/09/10/12 ~~~ Parsippany NJ Star Trek Creation 2009/11 ~~~ Los Angles CA TriCon Stargate/Farscape/Firefly Creation Con 2010 ~~~ New York NY Fangoria Creation 2009 ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Supernatural Creation 2009 ~~~ Cherry Hill NJ Stargate Creation 2008 ~~~ Secaucus NJ Stargate Creation 2007 ~~~ Cherry Hill/Philadelphia/Valley Forge Star Trek 1977-1988

Comment

An another name of the Scottish/UK event scene to be wary of - Rory Hazlie.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...aulted-7140189
                    sigpic

Comment

Just passing along some info. I was recently at Phoenix Comicon Fan Fest(Oct 22-23) but only stayed for half day on Oct 22 due to seating issues and hype. Stayed at the Hyatt Regency, the designated con hotel, but the hotel blocked my phone internet LTE. Virgin Mobile USA uses Sprint. Couldn't post pic to FB.

Comment

I'll just leave this here, shall I?

The Colonial Fleet lands in Edinburgh.
                        sigpic

Comment

And here we go again with highly inappropriate behaviour at a convention.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hotel-meeti...56807-Apr2017/
                          sigpic

Comment

"Man with four guns and knives arrested at Phoenix Comic Con; costume props now banned."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...con/347315001/
                            Last edited by BruTak; 28 May 2017, 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo.
                            sigpic

Comment

As the story goes, the guy was packing and out to murder specific people, i.e. the original Green Ranger for one. It looks like this particular person was in fact suffering from delusions as he told the police he had already on a previous occasion stabbed the actor, which the actor confirmed didn't happen.

As it happened, communication between the organizers and the goers was lacking so I can understand that led to chaos.

I remember the first time a local convention put a limitation on prop-weapons after the Brussel attacks. Considering the amount of Stargate cosplayers and others, they made strict rules on weapons. The more realistic they look, the less likely you are allowed to bring them in. However, you are to go through a check point where profesional security people check them over, and then attach a ribbon (different on different days and dated) to your weapon (even my cardboard replica got one this year). If it looks too realistic, they confiscate it and you only get it back afterwards, or you go and put it in your car if you can stow it away yourself.

Fire arm replicas cannot be aimed at people, not even during photos unless they ask to do so, which they usually do when it's those Star Wars trooper shots. Never hand over a weapon to pose with, unless you're still there alongside with them. Don't unsheath swords or daggers, which should be blunt anyway.

Beside that, if it passes inspection you can run around with it within the convention walls, not outside for obvious reasons.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yeah, "Peace Bonding"of replica weapons. I remember that from cons I've been to in the past.

It seems to have gone out of favour for some reason, probably the expense of hiring more people who know what is and is not permissible.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X