No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a newbie who's never been to a con. I found the advise from aerynscully about tickets to be helpful. Also I recently read an interview with Michael Shanks that said he realy disliked the photo's and the breakfast. I feel for him. Truly.
    stargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejo

Comment

Originally posted by stargatejo
      Being a newbie who's never been to a con. I found the advise from aerynscully about tickets to be helpful. Also I recently read an interview with Michael Shanks that said he realy disliked the photo's and the breakfast. I feel for him. Truly.
      in some ways i do. i feel for any actor who does a con. however, they're not forced to do them, they are compensated quite handsomly for thier time.

so yes, they do certainly deserve to be treated with respect, they also are at cons (unless the studio/network contracturally obligates them to be there) of thier own free will and, in the case of the stargate actors, they've been to enough cons to know what they're doing. they know what they're getting into
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Last year was my first con and this year I decided to get the Gold Ticket just so I could at least have that experience. I went in with absolutely no expectations of anything other than maybe a handshake at some point and just a chance to say "Hi and thank you." I have emjoyed my experiences, but that is due mainly to the people I meet and not necessarily the actors. That's not to say it wasn't nice to be able to meet them in person and chat for a few minutes when you could. But this year, I was way more excited to meet everyone that I had been talking to here and on other forums for the last year or so. And it was great. I had an absolutely wonderful time and only a small part of it had to do with the actor stuff. It's really the other fans that made my time there great.

I guess my biggest piece of advise to newbies is just go with the flow. Don't try to make things happen, cos you won't. You'll probably just come off looking a little odd to the talent and get weird looks from other people. Maybe. Depends on what you do, I guess. But honestly, don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. Am I saying that right? Cos it's sounds kind of weird to me right now. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you don't have any expectations of being able to sit down and chat with all the stars for the whole day or anything, the little things that do end up happening will seem fantastic!

Also, don't be scared to ask a question at the Q&A. Especially to the "secondary" actors. People will always have questions for Chris and Michael. But everyone else is just as great and really appreciate what you have to contribute. I ended up asking Peter just a really silly question about how uncomfortable the serpent's head costume thing was from COTG and he thanked me at the photo op for asking it. It helped kill some of the time he was on stage.

So, yeah. I guess those are my little piece of advise. And all the other stuff people have contributed was very insightful as well. Kinda wish this thread had been here last year!

Kerri

Comment

thanks or the info.... i haave been to several onventions and i am still to shy to ask a question... pls listen to these people giving you adice for when you are at a convention
          ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Originally posted by prion
            Actually, the rules aren't really for die-hard fans, but face it, obsessive fans. The ones who live 24/7 for their idol. It's the same in any situation: music, sports, actors. There are whacky fans out there who think because they know everything about Actor A, then of course Actor A will welcome them with open arms. We've all seen 'em at cons, I'm sure, and online

I still chortle over gifts given to actors. Many fans don't think that a) the actor has to drag this junk home with them, b) they have no idea what it is, c) it's a health hazard[1), or d) they just don't want it.

[1] I was minder for an actor at a con back in the 90s and people gave him homebaked food. He looked at me and said 'i'm not eating it. can you taste it?" I said "are you insane?"

I can see some gifts - hand-made items that are small and easy to store - but the best gift is telling them you like their work and if you feel you must give them something, donate money to a charity of their choice in their name.
            Yeah I have to totally agree with you. Although I haven't personally ever gone to one of these all-weekend cons before, my sister is what you would call somewhat of a groupie. She follows a particular singer around the country when he's on tour and she and her friends have been in the hotel rooms after he has left the hotel and generally the room is filled with garbage bags full of gifts he has recieved from people during the show.

I'm sure the actors and guests at cons may choose to keep a few of the gifts they recieve, but as a whole I'm pretty sure they either toss or give a good deal of the gifts away to local charities or hospitals.

Comment

The best advice I can offer is - Under no circumstances whatsoever, annoy the stewards and/or medics. This especially applies if said steward/medics are members of Team SG-999 - we have very long memories...
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch42
                ...I guess my biggest piece of advise to newbies is just go with the flow. Don't try to make things happen, cos you won't. You'll probably just come off looking a little odd to the talent and get weird looks from other people. Maybe. Depends on what you do, I guess. But honestly, don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. Am I saying that right? Cos it's sounds kind of weird to me right now. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you don't have any expectations of being able to sit down and chat with all the stars for the whole day or anything, the little things that do end up happening will seem fantastic...
                Kerri, I think your advice is wonderful. I highlighted what I thought were the most important points above.

My first con will be next March, but I have read many, many con reports over the years and comments from congoers in threads right after the events are over so I would know what to expect. IMHO, the congoers who are the most disappointed afterwards are the ones who went in expecting something personal from the stars for their dollar. This always seems so misguided to me. Also, many people seem surprised that the actors are nothing like the characters they portray on TV. Yes, they are being paid to be there -- as themselves. They get tired, hungry, cranky, bored and frustrated, just like any other human being.

Not setting yourself up for disappointment and remembering that these "stars" are just people like you and me seems to be the wisest advice. Enjoy the other fans and their enthusiasm.

Comment

10. Don’t try to touch the actors at the special events/organized meals. Be cool and yourself around them. No throwing of butter balls, no matter how convincing Chris Judge is in letting you believe you can hit Michael Shanks. Above all, ALWAYS thank them for attending the special functions.

But, what if Chris Judge throws a muffin AT you? (I am reffering to, of course, the Muffin fight at the Burbank Con Breakfast I attended this year.)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacemonkey_Jackson
                    But, what if Chris Judge throws a muffin AT you?
                    I'l wraith anyone who hurls food in my direction. But if it's a stargate star who initiated the hurling of the food, we might have a slight issue on our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                      I'l wraith anyone who hurls food in my direction. But if it's a stargate star who initiated the hurling of the food, we might have a slight issue on our hands.
                      Why do I have this sudden mental image of Chris Judge doing an impression of John Belushi in National Lampoon's Animal House and bellowing "FOOD FIGHT!!!!" at the top of his lungs?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                        The best advice I can offer is - Under no circumstances whatsoever, annoy the stewards and/or medics. This especially applies if said steward/medics are members of Team SG-999 - we have very long memories...
                        Also, on the reverse side, folks who work on con staff should treat all the attendees like customers they want back.

Con staff:

* Shouldn't treat all attendees like they're idiots, obsessive fans, or dangerous psychos. Attendees come in a variety: from someone who's just curious, to ardent fans. Also, fans range from students to surgeons, so don't tick them off. One of them could be operating on you some day

* Should make sure whoever you get for security has no biases toward any fan groups (yes, I've seen that happen). And make sure they speak English, not Klingon (I ran into one who refused to speak into English - very annoying - had to find a hotel staff person to get my question answered!)

* If there is a problem fan, be aware of them, but don't shout it to the rest of the attendees. Half the time the problem is blown way out of proportion by fan gossip and fan bias.

* Don't screw the paying attendee by hogging the actor to yourself (yes, I have unfortunately seen this happen at fan-run cons by fan staff).

* If you're staff, don't tell a paying attendee "I don't know" when they ask a question about the con. The con is a business; it should have all the facts before the con starts. If you don't know, tell the fan "I'll find out" and get back to them while the con is still going on, not months later on an email list.

* If an actor bows out before the con, make sure that informaiton is posted somewhere up front in the lobby, and online, before a fan stands in line for two hours. Doesn't make for happy campers otherwise. And nowadays, there's no excuse not to update a website or send out an email.

And there are lots of other things, but so much is common sense that it shouldn't need to be pointed out. Cons are a business, to make money, whether for profit or charity, and the old motto of the customer comes first should always apply.

Comment

All very good points. Nothing destroys a con exoerience more than snarky con staff!

Comment

Indeed - politeness costs nothing.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've only been to 2 stargate cons, my first was last november. It was L3 convention: Stargate Universe. I enjoyed it very much. It took me several years to pluck up enought courage to go a con but mainly because I was worried about my illness. But I was informed that cons cater for disabled people. So I went to the convention but the hotel didn't have a lift to the first floor so I tried with my walking stick to get to the top of TWO flights of stairs.

After I got there I had a five minute rest (sat down on a seat) in the photograph Q. I had my picture taken with Corin Nemec, I thanked him, but then everything went black. I passed out because of the stairs. It was one of the most embarrasing things that ever happened in my life. I was so embarrased when I awoke, I cried my eyes out but I was told not to worry by Corin and Torri Higginson. I kept appologising and they told me not to worry.

The next day they both asked me how I was I kept blushing as I was still embarased.

After this experience I have come prepared.

I do though, worry about people thinking that I was after pitty from the guest that is not the case. Some of the guests saw my walking stick and asked about it and I tell them. I wish I could stand in the Q with everyelse, but at least those people in the Q will be dancing on the dance floor at the disco that night. I don't want pitty, I want the same experrience as everyone else, but unfortunely it's between me and my god.

I had a few in depth conversations with a couple of actors that have stayed at the party late but I tell them they can ask me to stop when they like if I'm boring them. At one con I was talking to Alexis Cruz until 2am! He seemed very very interested in what I was talking about and it was a 2 way conversation. I think it went well because it was like we were just chatting in a pub (bar) like people do and it put them at ease.

I believe that the best things to have a con is, politeness to the guests, polite con staff and polite to con atendance.

Peace to everyone
                              Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                              The Strongest Will Survive!
                              I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Don't be intimidated by the guests - they're regualr people, just like you.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X