Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
    I recall that child. Felt like kicking him myself. He insulted Michael Shanks and took a picture of Christopher Judge using the bathroom. I'm sure they were all in good humor, and MS and CJ laughed it off (and maybe they don't mind). Still, I would have given the kid leprosy myself.
    yeah he was at this months convention also... i think he actually video tapped it.. because this year chris asked him if he made money off of it and if he does he wants some of the money..

michael didnt seem to happy... last years he did a thor impression and told the kid to go out and play with traffic lol...

Comment

omg i just cant imagine doing anything like that... some fans really do take it too far!
      BSG convert....

Comment

Originally posted by sg1niner
        yeah he was at this months convention also... i think he actually video tapped it.. because this year chris asked him if he made money off of it and if he does he wants some of the money..
        Weirdo
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

people are not above using thier children to get attention. I've seen it before. they drag their little ones to a con and push them at the actors, hoping to get the kids, and themselves, noticed.

i'm not trying to be rude about the kids and i understand that babysitters can be hard to find...but i've also sat in a con hall and had to deal with a crying baby which meant that i couldn't hear the actor.

or upset and fussy kids, or kids that are left to run amuck while mom and dad sit and watch the panel...thus ruinign it for the rest of us.

IMHO, kids have no places at many cons and parents should accept and be aware of that fact.
          and if you have to bring your kids, the little beggers better behave or you need to take them outside and leave the rest of us in peace
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The main list and all the added do's and don'ts from everyone are much appreciated! Chicago is my first SG1 con and while I am not nearly brave enough to even think of some of the things warned against, I was curious as to the photo / autograph line etiquette.
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              people are not above using thier children to get attention. I've seen it before. they drag their little ones to a con and push them at the actors, hoping to get the kids, and themselves, noticed.

i'm not trying to be rude about the kids and i understand that babysitters can be hard to find...but i've also sat in a con hall and had to deal with a crying baby which meant that i couldn't hear the actor.

or upset and fussy kids, or kids that are left to run amuck while mom and dad sit and watch the panel...thus ruinign it for the rest of us.

IMHO, kids have no places at many cons and parents should accept and be aware of that fact.
              and if you have to bring your kids, the little beggers better behave or you need to take them outside and leave the rest of us in peace
              I remember 1 con were 2 kids spent maybe 10 minutes counting to 10 in maybe 5 different langueges to Teryl. (They NEARLY got the welsh right!) TR took it in her stride. The mother was laughing. Some people were muttering.

Ok it was cute to a point.IMO it was taking valuble time of the Q&A session. There quite a few fans waiting to ask questions.
              Last edited by SEREN LWCH (MAL); 26 August 2005, 05:19 AM. Reason: put "answer" not ask!

Comment

After my experience today I have one "don't" to add and this is my own personal experience, I am not speaking of other attendees who may be in Chicago. No matter how good a friend they are, don't bring a friend who wants only to tag along on the trip and not go to the convention. I missed what I am sure was a wonderful dinner this evening and spent about an hour apologizing to numerous patrons in the lounge.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm one of those people taking a baby to cons. I don't have a choice right now as I am breast feeding. But I don't want to ruin the con for everyone else! At Creation Con in London I spent most of Tom McBeath's talk right down the back of the hall as the sound from the mic's really freaked the baby out! For Michael's talk I made sure I had a bottle with me, which 'plugged' the problem although the baby made a few sqawks, nothing that annoyed anyone else I hope.

My main concern was the pram (buggy) that I had parked in front of me (I was in the front row, hence the bottle rather than feeding the baby myself). Hope that didn't bother anyone - I did ask around everyone, I hope they weren't just being polite! But it did help to be able to rock baby in it to soothe him if he got a bit bored.

Having the baby there was a great ice breaker and a way of getting conversation going. Tom McBeath spent a while cooing over him in the restaurant at dinner, my only disappointment being that I wasn't there at the time! Oh well, I'll hopefully get to meet Tom properly one day.

But I do agree with what everyone is saying here, if you're going to bring kids and babies along you do have to respect other people. I fully accept that I may miss chunks of the best bits. If baby isn't in a good mood I'm not going to inflict that on everyone in a talk. And likewise, I think that toddlers are just too disruptive full stop. I've never seen one at a con, and I know that I won't be bringing mine once he's mobile!
                  Last edited by GateGipsy; 27 August 2005, 02:46 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

well, I think there's a world of difference between bringing a baby cos you HAVE to, and keeping said baby quiet, compared to having disruptive kids who drive you batty..... I know there were a couple of kids in Vancouver last time, and I thought, how nice that they're doing this as a family, followed by annoyance that they were being quite disruptive

Comment

There is also a world of difference between parents who try to make sure the kids do the right thing and enjoy the show like everyone else and those who do not. And seeing little babies at the cons, I would not mind at all if they were not disruptive and I would gush over them like most people would. I also understand the "have to" side to this.

I personally do not mind children going at any age, there were several here in Chicago yesterday and from what I saw, they were extremely well behaved and enjoyed the show as much as the rest of us.

I would never bring my 6 year old because even though she loves SG1 and really wanted to come, she would not be able to sit still for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the thread. Good pointers.

I really want to stress that the actors are only actors. I remember reading that some crazed fan was stalking David Boreanaz (sp?) of Angel and was trying to kill him because she really thought he was a vampire. Now, in that case it's very extreme but still.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                        Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

there is a world of difference between folks that bring thier children who are well behaved. who are congizent of others and aware of the child and take pains to keep said child under control or quiet. I'm not expecting folks who have children to lock themselves away and never venture out...but i am saying that bringing your child is like bringing your best friend....if they cna't behave or be made to behave and not disrupt the con for others, then they have no place there.

if your baby does noting but cry and is colicky then it might not be good to bring them. a little critter that lies quietly in its bassinet, hey most of the folks wont' even know that they're there.

I know at gatecon a couple of times, folks did bring thier children...and then spent a ton of time pushing said child at the actors, getting them up on stage, using them to try and cut into lines, etc.

I have to say, callous as i may sound, i would have the same issue with someone who brought a developmentally challenged individual to the con, someone who was incapable of remaining quiet and was disruptive
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Even though I don't have kids, I don't mind kids at cons if they are well behaved. If they run around like hellions, scream at the top of their lungs, do the rest of the paying attendees a favor and leave them at home with a sitter. If a baby starts to cry during a talk and can't be shushed in a few seconds, the parent should depart the room with the baby and quiet it down so the rest of the people can hear.

I think the thing that bothers me the most at cons are fans who put the actor in an embarrassing situation ("hey, it's my mom's birthday, can you sing happy birthday to her! (or give a hug, or a kiss, or somthing personal like that)).

When asking a questions of an actor, don't begin with a long drawn-out "I love your work, you are so cool," etc etc thing as obviously you think the actor is great or else you wouldn't have paid $$$ to go to the con. Please, spare everybody else your overflowing adoration

Comment

This year I'm going with Hubby to the Gabit Con and the L3 Atlantis Con.

Although Gabit allows children to attend,Hubs and I decided that we didn't want to cheese other Con-goers off in any way,if the kids were to get bored or squabble,so we've arranged for his family to step in and house sit during our absence.

Level 3 is an 18+ event,and we've arranged for the kids to go to my best friend for the whole w/e.

Thus we're free to just enjoy the events,meet other fans,and hopefully cut down on making any newbie gaffes. *Fingers crossed*

Reading through the other posts/links,I wonder exactly why the parents of disruptive kids think it's acceptable to push their children at the actors,or merrily guide them into plain rude behaviour, that in any other setting they probably would not allow ?

If Kid X thought it was proper behaviour to follow/harrass CJ by intruding on his toilet break...then would Kid X or his parents condone the same behaviour if they had house guests ,or if the kid was curious about a stranger using any other public conveniences ?

I'm pretty sure the parents would angrily deny their little honeybun would go up to a complete stranger in that way...but they don't actually "know" CJ or MS either.They obviously assume they can take liberties as they paid to go and see them.

All we fans see are the tv performances,and the public personae.We don't own the person behind the characters we love.Nor should anyone expect to ,imo.

I'm also wondering what Con organisers can do to improve the situation.

Surely,in the interest of smooth running, organisers could state in their conditions that any OTT behaviour will not be tolerated and that children are subject to the same boundaries as adults,and firmly state the penalties for non-compliance with the stewards ?

Also a highly visible list in Con rooms and the Con lists/forums of items they'll sign and things they won't, might cut down on the possible embarrassment to the actors .

I agree with others that grabbing the actors,or expecting personal contact/special treatment are "don'ts".Let the actors themselves instigate a handshake or hug.Then briefly respond,make way, and let the next person have their moment.

I don't go all touchy-feely with most people I know in RL,so I certainly don't intend to assault Amanda at Gabit,or the various guests at L3 either....I don't want to be the next idiot we discuss on the forums !
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

FHB's post nicely describes one of the cardinal rules of con etiquette:

Treat the actors with the same courtesy you would extend to every stranger you meet!

Because no matter how familiar the actors seem to you, no matter how often they've been in your living room via the TV screen - you don't know them at all and they certainly don't know you. You are strangers!

Comment

Working...
                                X