Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47512122142_f6eb165e0b_q.jpg
    S.H.I.E.L.D. never sleeps. Although it sometimes does take a nap.

Edinburgh Comic Con 2019, day 2, Sunday 7th April - photo by Philip Gillespie.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTBynFA
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

More rules for Phoenix Fan Fusion 2019:

1. Bring items in clear plastic bag or backpack for speedy process through security
      2. No outside food allowed in main(North) Convention Center or West convention center(there are 3 convention centers~West, North,South)

Comment

So many people don't use the internet for convention info. Posted on Twitter by Phoenix Fan Fusion. "Open liquid containers are not allowed inside the Phoenix Convention Center. Refillable water bottles ARE allowed but they must be empty."

My guess Security was busy today on the first day.

Comment

Oh, don't start me.

We live in an age where we have information at our fingertips, and yet all we seem to see is "Where can I get X for my cosplay?" or "When are tickets for X event out?" etc.

It takes all my self control not to reply "I dunno, I'm not effing Google."
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Seeing reports on Facebook that an attendee at MCM London has committed suicide by jumping off a bridge into the Thames.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
              More rules for Phoenix Fan Fusion 2019:

1. Bring items in clear plastic bag or backpack for speedy process through security
              2. No outside food allowed in main(North) Convention Center or West convention center(there are 3 convention centers~West, North,South)
              Sounds like the standard rules for FACTS Convention in Ghent.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Seeing reports on Facebook that an attendee at MCM London has committed suicide by jumping off a bridge into the Thames.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
              Nothing on Google.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

From what I've learned, it seems as though it was an attempted suicide, the party in question was talked down by their friends, was given the once over by ambulance paramedics, and is now seeking counselling.
                sigpic

Comment

That's positive to hear.

Comment

On the other hand, I read several FB posts fro young female cosplayers who were repeatedly hassled by the same guy.

So it seems security was a bit hit and miss.
                    sigpic

Comment

On the other hand, I read several FB posts fro young female cosplayers who were repeatedly hassled by the same guy.

So it seems security was a bit hit and miss.
                      If it gets reported, they usually ban the assailant from coming back.
                      At the convention I go to regularly, they even call in the cops.

Comment

Well, it's MCM Comic Con in London this weekend. Dates for their events next year have been announced, and MCM Scotland is very much conspicuous by its absence.

I honestly can't say as I'm surprised. IMO MCM Scotland has been going steadily downhill since ReedPop bought the company from Paul Miley and Bryan Cooney in 2017.

The Scottish con is viewed as an afterthought, the demographics skewing younger and younger as the years go by - with celebrity guests that practically no one over the age of 25 gives a crap about.

And again, IMO, the event was getting too big, taking over just about all the available floorspace of the SEC complex. You'd not get a chance to see everything, there were just too many people.

Oh well, their loss.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sad to here about convention issues. Here in the US, large gatherings are still prohibited due to Covid transmissions even when vaccinated. Earliest I could attend a scifi related convention is June-July 2022.

Comment

Here in Scotland, one of the smaller event organisers - BGCP - was running small one and two day combined comic marts and craft fairs in shopping malls and outdoor spaces during the summer.

They were a lot of fun. It got me out of the house for a few hours, a change of scenery, picked up a couple of bargains, and I saw friends I hadn't seen in nearly two years.
                            sigpic

Comment

IMO MCM Scotland has been going steadily downhill since ReedPop bought the company from Paul Miley and Bryan Cooney in 2017.
                              Suprised to hear that of ReedPop, considering they are the people involved with all the Star Wars Celebration events.

Anywho... 3 big comic cons coming up in the coming weeks: Dutch Comic Con in The Netherlands, Brussels Comic Con and FACTS Ghent in Belgium. All three events are approx. at 75% capacity from normal attendance, and all three events require a covid safe ticket which means visitors need proof they are either fully vaccinated, have tested negative in the last 48hrs or have a certificate of natural immunity no older than 6 months (due to having been infected with Covid). Social distance and facemasks are not mandatory but should be maintained at all times when there are too many people gathering in the same space.

However, it should be noted that infections are rising exponentially again in Belgium so it is very possible that facemasks and social distancing will be made mandatory again for large gatherings indoor. Our government is debating what to do today so will see...

I, for one, am skipping both Brussels and Ghent anyway this year, which is a rather shame cause Brussels has freakin' cool line-up.

Comment

Next big con for me is Edinburgh Comic Con over the Easter Weekend.

Currently dithering over which hotel to stay in.

Do I go for the one just down the street from the venue, or the one ten minutes walk away?

Hotel A is cheaper than B, but the rooms are a bit on the small side and I'll have quite a bit of cosplay gear with me.

Decisions decisions...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X