Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

It's come to the attention of many Forum dwellers that this particular thread might be a good idea. I apologize if there's already a similar thread, but with searches disabled trying to find one was a nightmare!

Anyway, as many of us plan on attending conventions in the near future, and many of us are old pros at it, and many more may have questions, here we go!

A link, first off, dug up by dear Seshat:

AerynScully's Dos & Dont's

And a few points of my own:

A con is a memorable experience. I've heard many stories and seen many pictures. I've got my ticket for Vancouver 2006. And many fans go hoping to take an amazing experience home from it. The mere thought of meeting the stars of my favorite shows gives me butterflies, and it's still months and months away! And there is always the temptation to do something that will make YOU memorable to them, among the HUNDREDS of people they meet EVERY WEEKEND. Sometimes it happens. But usually it's NOT contrived. It's spontaneous. And just TRYING to be the one fan they remember can have disastrous results, making you look like, well, an idiot in front of your fellow con-goers, and leaving a bad taste in pretty much everyone's mouths.

A con is not just about the stars, it's also about the fans. For some of us it's the only chance we'll ever get to see other Gateworlders face to face. Don't forget to revel in the entire experience. Enjoy the people you're with. Chances are they're the only ones who TRULY understand your Stargate obsession.

And those stars are people too. Have respect for their private lives and their personal space. Try and come up with original questions for them! I can only imagine how dull it must be to answer the same ones over and over. If you can't come up with anything...make room in the line for someone else who might, and sit back and enjoy the show.

Well, I guess that's about all I have at the moment. Anyone else? Feel free to chime in!

It's a good list. I'll add one (if it was on the list and I missed it, then sorry!)

Find out before you go what items may be given to the guests to sign. Some cons will allow you to get anything signed. Others insist on only official items - no photos unless they have the studio logo on them, no manips, and no artwork.

Madeleine

Comment

Wow... as a newbie to the whole con...er, thing, I have found this really interesting - Very glad I have read it...

But as for this bit "6. Under no circumstances in a public area, should a body part that is normally covered in polite company, be offered to a married actor to be autographed." People actually DO that !??!!?!? yuk
      BSG convert....

Comment

Originally posted by Kookaburra
        But as for this bit "6. Under no circumstances in a public area, should a body part that is normally covered in polite company, be offered to a married actor to be autographed." People actually DO that !??!!?!? yuk
        Don't ask...

http://www.pink-khaki.net/6/editorial06.html

And on the subject of preparing for a con:
        http://www.pink-khaki.net/dollup.html

We used to have a thread with more useful tips but I have no idea where it's buried, sorry!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Kookaburra
            Wow... as a newbie to the whole con...er, thing, I have found this really interesting - Very glad I have read it...

oh yeah.

one of the reasons actors usualy have security isn't always because the con organizers, or sometimes mgm, fears physical harm (although at the heights of the season six mess, mgm DID actually fear that passionate fans would be unable to separate actors from their characters and did insiste upon some very in your face security), it's also to protect the actor from well meaning and enthusiastic fans who might attempt something....off color.

most fans are respectful and polite, however a few do get 'fan boy/girl fever' and turn into tush kissing syncophants who will do anything and everything to get close to their desired actor. and some of them will take a polite 'it's nice to see you' and mentally turn that into an invitation for some more personal contact

one thing to remember is that, while i am sure that they do enjoy meeting their fans, a con is just a gig to an actor. s/he has contracturally obligated lengths of time to spend or things to do. it's a job to them and if they want to get paid by the con organizers, they need to fulfill that contract
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              most fans are respectful and polite, however a few do get 'fan boy/girl fever' and turn into tush kissing syncophants who will do anything and everything to get close to their desired actor. and some of them will take a polite 'it's nice to see you' and mentally turn that into an invitation for some more personal contact
              *cant stop laughing*
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

I'd like to add a few don'ts to this list and a few do's. Mine are to do with the Q&As

A Q&A session is where the actor is on stage and the audience asks questions. There might be a microphone handed around, or more usually, a microphone to the side or in the middle that people queue behind to ask questions.

1. Do ask a question. Don't be shy or embarrased! So what if you're worried that people might think your question is daft - chances are they won't (see below though first!). Just get up there and do it, it is part of the con experience.

2. When you ask your question, don't give a lengthy preamble. Just get to the point. If you really feel you want to thank them for attending or say you think they're a great actor then keep it short. Remember there are other people waiting to ask their question and usually the time is limited.

3. Please don't use the Q&A as a chance to put forward your point of view on the show. In other words, the sort of thing you'd put on a forum. Remember it is a Q&A - you should be asking a question.

4. Kids are great and we love having them at cons, and I especially love it when they ask questions as it often gets the guests to open up in a way they wouldn't normally. That said, please don't push your kids at the guests constantly or push them on the stage, or use them to get around the 'no giving gifts to guests' rule. That's not fair on everyone else.

5. Fainting just as a guest walks past is a bit too convenient, so is fainting in a Q&A. If you're really that unwell or that prone to fainting you should either reconsider going to an event like a con, or you should arrange to have a friend or steward on hand to help you discretely. A lot of people who go to cons have health issues, often quite severe, and they make sure they have made provisions for just this sort of thing.

6. Remember to call the guest by their name, not the characters name! It is an easy slip up to make, especially if you're nervous, so don't let it faze you. If it happens, then just smile, aplogise and carry on - just so the guest knows that you know the difference!

7. If for any reason the guest calls you onstage, say if it is your birthday, then please leave once your moment in the limelight is gone. I've been to quite a few cons where the person or persons have simply stayed onstage. The guest is usually too polite to tell them to leave, and may have even backed themselves in a corner by asking the person if 'they'd like to go back to their seat'. Let me translate that last sentance - what the guest is actually saying is 'please go back to your seat now'. It isn't fair on the rest of the con goers - they've come to watch the guest on stage, not you.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy

7. If for any reason the guest calls you onstage, say if it is your birthday, then please leave once your moment in the limelight is gone. I've been to quite a few cons where the person or persons have simply stayed onstage. The guest is usually too polite to tell them to leave, and may have even backed themselves in a corner by asking the person if 'they'd like to go back to their seat'. Let me translate that last sentance - what the guest is actually saying is 'please go back to your seat now'. It isn't fair on the rest of the con goers - they've come to watch the guest on stage, not you.
                  Oh yes I remember SG5. Some girls stayed on stage for ages! During the next session, when CJ asked me on stage (wonder who asked him to sing happy b'day to me ) he offered me his chair for a while. I said "No thank you" and left the stage.

A point: if you take photos of other fans ask permission before you put the pic on the net. Some people dont like it.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                    *cant stop laughing*
                    you can laugh, but i lost count of the number of times i saw fans hand the actors little slips of paper with room/phone numbers on them

also, when you're giving the actor something, use some common sense. what i'm speaking about is photos. would you like to see a picture of yourself maniped to be kissing your best friend? or your head on a naked body of another person?

just because you're a fan of a certain pairing, a con is no place to try and get the actor's 'approval' or 'blessing' on your preferences.

not only is handing them pictures like that a potential to insult the actor, it could get you kicked out of the con should the actor be in the mood

sigpic

Comment

just because you're a fan of a certain pairing, a con is no place to try and get the actor's 'approval' or 'blessing' on your preferences.

not only is handing them pictures like that a potential to insult the actor, it could get you kicked out of the con should the actor be in the mood
                      Hmmph - some people
                      love Torri

Comment

Many actors are not impressed by 'shipping' or 'pairing', as they are ACTORS not the CHARACTERS they play on TV.

Gifts too are nice, but imagine traveling from US to Canada with 40 pounds of gifts and having to declear them to customs and PAY for them when the items exceed the limit of travel. Best to ship it yourself to Bridge before the con, and note it to actor while in Q&A or photo line.
                        The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

yes no one wants to be like that little kid from last years NJ con.. he was at this years also.. you know that little kid that followed chris into the bathroom...

but anyway, last year since it was my first i actually got michael a baby gift for his newborn.. i dont know if he kept it but i also gave him some of my stargate cards that i made in school.

Comment

I recall that child. Felt like kicking him myself. He insulted Michael Shanks and took a picture of Christopher Judge using the bathroom. I'm sure they were all in good humor, and MS and CJ laughed it off (and maybe they don't mind). Still, I would have given the kid leprosy myself.
                            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                            Stargate Destiny, Fan
                            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim
                              Many actors are not impressed by 'shipping' or 'pairing', as they are ACTORS not the CHARACTERS they play on TV.
                              and think how embarrassing it would be for ms who is married to be given maniped or drawn pics of himself and vala in a compromising position...or him and RDA (which has happened). or for amanda, who is also happily married to be given pics of her and rda in the 'clench'

if you want to give them something, give them a thank you card, or a short note - appropriate in content

they are people too. they get tired and bored and cranky. they need to sleep or eat or yes, take a bathroom break

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X