No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Staff-Waepon belongs to Brian, he bought it in an auctuion at an SG con he was at. It was part of a stage set used at the convention. The "head" is signed by the likes of Peter Williams and Chris Judge.

The wee alien's name is Roswell, he's an Ass-guard, and he lives with me. Along with numerous other cute and cuddly fluffy creatures.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm used to the little cons here too there fun but now I'm gonna try a big con in chicago adn I'm sure that will be fune too

Comment

Hello everyone,

I'll be attending my first convention next summer in Vancouver for Gatecon. I was just wondering if I could get some general information about this convention. Is it a large one? Can you fress up for it? What are the autograph and photo sessions like? How much money should I bring? Thanks.

Comment

I just got back from my third convention (2nd Creation Stargate) and I really really really wish that some of the people had come to this thread before they went to Chicago!!!
          I remember someone saying here that you want the actors to remember you, but not for the wrong reason. I can safely bet that there are a few people that actors and con-goers will remember from this past weekend, and not in a good way!
          Every single male actor was asked to take off his shirt, to the cheers and applause of the crowd. Seriously, if some stranger came up to you on the street and asked you to take off your shirt or give you a hug or a kiss or 'please let me touch your hair!', you'd run away or call the cops or something. I liked Michael's response to the shirt question: "When Morena was here yesterday, did anyone ask her to take off her shirt?" (Well, duh, of course not, that would get you kicked out and the other fans would think you were a pervert).
          Fans don't recognize the effort actors put into coming to conventions, where they kinda have to be polite and nice all the time because that's what the fans expect. They are real people too, and sh** like this makes them uncomfortable.
          Last edited by Mickey23; 27 August 2007, 04:36 PM. Reason: Ok, ranting over for the night!
          I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
          Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey23 View Post
            I just got back from my third convention (2nd Creation Stargate) and I really really really wish that some of the people had come to this thread before they went to Chicago!!!
            I remember someone saying here that you want the actors to remember you, but not for the wrong reason. I can safely bet that there are a few people that actors and con-goers will remember from this past weekend, and not in a good way!
            Every single male actor was asked to take off his shirt, to the cheers and applause of the crowd. Seriously, if some stranger came up to you on the street and asked you to take off your shirt or give you a hug or a kiss or 'please let me touch your hair!', you'd run away or call the cops or something. I liked Michael's response to the shirt question: "When Morena was here yesterday, did anyone ask her to take off her shirt?" (Well, duh, of course not, that would get you kicked out and the other fans would think you were a pervert).
            Fans don't recognize the effort actors put into coming to conventions, where they kinda have to be polite and nice all the time because that's what the fans expect. They are real people too, and sh** like this makes them uncomfortable.
            There's a little background to the "whole take off your shirt deal." Back during the 2006 Vancouver Con, one of the guests Cliff Simon took off his shirt for the audience. It was completely unexpected and there was much squeeing from the female crowd (along with much picture taking). (There was actually an underlying reason - a charitable reason - as to why Cliff removed his shirt. On behalf of a group of fans, an agreement was made that this group of fans would make a sizable donation to charity if Cliff would remove his shirt during his panel. It was purely Cliff's choice, so if he chose not to remove his shirt, it was understood by all involved.) It seems that, at least at the Creation cons, this whole shennanigan has morphed into something a bit more than what was expected.

Of course, we never force a guest to do anything uncomfortable. And we should never expect or ask a guest to do something that is uncomfortable, or somethin you wouldn't want done in front of your children. Remember that if a guest does do something that is inappropriate, you need to contact the event organizer, or a member of the event staff immediately. If you're offended bywhat a guest does, please let the event staff know in a civil manner. Yelling at the staff in anger will probably achieve nothing. If Con goers seem to be asking a guest to do something inappropriate (and you feel strongly about it) contact an event staff member. If need be leaving the rom for the duration of the "questionable activity" may be the best thing to do.

Comment

I was at Chicago this weekend and I agree that it was inappropriate to ask ANYONE to take his/her shirt off. And wasn't it the same woman who asked each time? I appreciate the background on the original shirt-take-off story but that doesn't make the request appropriate in subsequent conventions. Jay Acovone also had a good answer for why he chose not to take his shirt off. He said a 52 year old man should not be doing that. First, for being 52, he sure looks good but thank god he has such good sense and was good humored about it. For me personally, in general there has to be an age cut-off for men taking off their shirts in these settings. Please forgive me, I hope I didn't offend anyone but for me, I certainly don't want my dad doing something like that!

Comment

I like to think that the young lady in Chicago was simply uninformed about what had occured in the past about the shirt removal and thought it would be ok to ask. Technowraith is correct about the history of the behavior. I was the person who asked Cliff to remove his shirt in Vancouver in 2006. But that was after I had asked Cliff before the event, if he would do so. And money was raised for charity. I also checked with Adam from Creation to ensure that it would be okay. Then, in 2007, the same thing happened, but only after permission was asked of the actors beforehand. Steve Bacic knew there was going to be that request, but we were not very organized about ensuring we got the money up front. And all the money went to charity. It was also the tenth anniversary of Stargate, so it was a bit special. Afterwards, Cliff and Steve said they would not be doing that again, and I respect their decision. Michael Shanks had also been asked in Vancouver, but he also said no. So, as of right now, the shirt removal is a dead issue. I think that the primary focus should always be to ask the actors for their permission first, either through their agents, or at photo ops just before the Q&A. It's just good manners.
                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember Collin Cunningham taking his shirt off at SG-6 in London a few years ago.

But then again, he's an absolute raving fruit loop.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember Collin Cunningham taking his shirt off at SG-6 in London a few years ago.

But then again, he's an absolute raving fruit loop.
                    Yeah, he is, but we love him anyway.

Comment

well, at gatecon a few years ago, he took off his pants if i recall, revealing thigh high's and high heels (part of a joke)

and i know davie palfey (anubis) took off his pants and auctioned off the right to touch his BVD covered bum. never could take anubis seriously again after that one

It's one thing when the actors willingly do stuff like this and it's their idea. totally another when fans put them on the spot
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        well, at gatecon a few years ago, he took off his pants if i recall, revealing thigh high's and high heels (part of a joke)

and i know davie palfey (anubis) took off his pants and auctioned off the right to touch his BVD covered bum. never could take anubis seriously again after that one

It's one thing when the actors willingly do stuff like this and it's their idea. totally another when fans put them on the spot
                        Totally agree. Actors have to be nice when hundreds of fans are watching their every move on stage with cameras in hand. Definitely different when they put on their own stunts . . . however . . .

I am very concerned about taking off pants and allowing people to touch his "covered bum." At Chicago there were a few kids (under 18). In my opinion, this is totally inappropriate.

Comment

well, this was adults only. there were no kids present that i recall. Gatecon auctinos had quite the reputation of getting a bit bawdy as the evening wore on.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            I think that is what upset me/concerns me the most. If asked beforehand, and the actor gives the okay, that's a different story. But on the spot, they might feel that they don't have the option to say no in front of all those people.
                            I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                            Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

I think that is what upset me/concerns me the most. If asked beforehand, and the actor gives the okay, that's a different story. But on the spot, they might feel that they don't have the option to say no in front of all those people.
                              Well, they didn't seem to have any trouble saying no in Chicago. That young lady had absolutely no luck.
                              Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                                Well, they didn't seem to have any trouble saying no in Chicago. That young lady had absolutely no luck.
                                I have to agree with you AG. The actors made the point-- with the exception of Dan Shea taking off his, and then proceeding to do pushups-- that the shirtless gig thing was so last year. Which I also heard that last year Teryl Rothery ran around the audience collecting money for that charity.
                                We have to remember that these actors deal with fans on a day to day basis, I'm gonna have to go with the thought that this is definately not the first time, nor will it probably be the last that they would be asked this.
                                Maybe it needs to be said, and I may be out of line here, but if I were MS, or CS, or SB, or any of the guys, that I would almost consider it somewhat of a compliment that women thought that I was Hot!
                                I don't know, while I was almost mildly annoyed at the girl who kept asking everyone, I never thought that it was unappropriate, and I thought that the actors handled the situation well.
                                Just my humble little opinion...
                                sigpic
                                awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Working...
                                X